Confirmed with Link: Rieder/Wedgewood to LA for Kuemper

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think Reider sounds like a younger Lewis lots of speed good defensively plays pk well and misses on breakaways Could we be setting up for a Lewis for futures type deal ? Its going to be a interesting 5 days coming. No way are we done

I know you weren't trying to be funny so when I got to this point I lost it :laugh:

You're right, was just a funny thing to read

Reactions: SniperHF

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I know you weren't trying to be funny so when I got to this point I lost it :laugh:

You're right, was just a funny thing to read

Its funny cause its true :P at least according to there fans it is. Thing is i hope he is like lewis because i always said lewis stops as many as he misses so if Reider does the same i ll be more then happy to welcome him aboard

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

SlimCharles

Kings & Sabres
Dec 7, 2011
Los Angeles
At first I didn't like the news because I knew pretty much nothing about Rieder. Seems like a steal after reading everyone's comments. :D

123slam

Dec 28, 2006
Blake: “Listen, we need to score goals and we have to find some offense. It’s not a secret. I’ve read it online. If something comes that is realistic – I’ve read the kind that quantify trades as a hockey trade or not, if it’s a hockey trade that makes sense, yes. If it’s a rental, no. We’re not in that market,” Blake said.

Hmmm... Not sure how I feel about that. Better watch what we say here. :sarcasm:

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Running low on roster spots!

Mersch, LaDue, Brodzinski, and Amadio can all be sent down. Based on their proportionate input on LA’s recent success, that is also the order in which they should be reassigned.

At worst Amadio draws out as a scratch here and there, but I don’t think he’ll be sent down outright. May not even come to that, he’s earning more minutes and PP time from Stevens.

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
I don't think we should trade lewis just because we got rieder now. lewis has been a defensive stalwart for this team for awhile and to trade him would just mean shaking up the core when that's not needed.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Kings lost this trade because Rieder took #10. Curse is on.
Hopefully the curse ends up the way it did for this #10.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Lewis has the best hands on the team this year. He's crushing it on breakaways now.

He finally figured it out like most snipers do after 8 seasons, much like oafish stay at home defensemen take awhile to develop.

Reactions: Legionnaire

BOGO

Oct 20, 2017
Rieder was one of those players where you could see the potential, and he seemed to do everything right with the puck and you would expect better things from. The problem in my eyes is that the more never came. From a Coyotes perspective he reminds me of guys like Freddy Sjostrom and Mikael Boedker, you always wanted more but you never got it.

I hope he works out for you guys better than he did for the Coyotes. He's a 15-20-35 player, and if you expect that then you will be satisfied with what he brings. If he starts getting PP time then you are in trouble or shopping him, but he may be able to contribute on the PK thanks to his speed.

I am a long time Kings fan back from the days when our Runners were your IHL feeder team. Tons of memories of Byron Dafoe, Yanic Perreault and Chris Snell playing big roles on the Roadrunners and getting called up to the Kings. Suffered through many of those bad years post-Gretzky before guys like Kopitar came along. I grew up with Jim Fox and Bob Miller on the call.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Rieder was one of those players where you could see the potential, and he seemed to do everything right with the puck and you would expect better things from. The problem in my eyes is that the more never came. From a Coyotes perspective he reminds me of guys like Freddy Sjostrom and Mikael Boedker, you always wanted more but you never got it.

I hope he works out for you guys better than he did for the Coyotes. He's a 15-20-35 player, and if you expect that then you will be satisfied with what he brings. If he starts getting PP time then you are in trouble or shopping him, but he may be able to contribute on the PK thanks to his speed.

I am a long time Kings fan back from the days when our Runners were your IHL feeder team. Tons of memories of Byron Dafoe, Yanic Perreault and Chris Snell playing big roles on the Roadrunners and getting called up to the Kings. Suffered through many of those bad years post-Gretzky before guys like Kopitar came along. I grew up with Jim Fox and Bob Miller on the call.

Man, you were blessed to see legends like Keith Redmond, Jeff Shevalier, John Slaney, even Jamie Storr!

Thanks for sharing those tidbits. Those were fun times... prepped us Kings fans to endure many years of agony.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I will miss Kuemper but this is a trade you have to make anytime.

A fairly young awesome 3rd/2nd line RFA for years to come.
Great deal Blake.

Lombardi should take notice (Martin Jones). Jones was just a throw in with the Lucic deal, horrible asset management.

Reactions: Albi

Albi

Nov 24, 2004
Claro - Switzerland
Quick has struggled, but now looks back to form, and he missed the All Star Game for a minor injury (even though it could have been just an excuse to rest him).
From an asset management standpoint, this is a great trade: we signed Kuemper as an UFA when his value was low, and this Summer we were going to loose him for nothing. Instead we got a 3rd liner with great wheels, good on PK and can fill in as a top6 if needed. Besides, Rieder has upside and room to improve.

About our goaltending, if Quick will struggle again, Kuemper, as good as he has played this year, isn’t going to be a difference maker in the playoff.

This team will live or die with John.

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I like the trade for the kings.... rieder is a pretty decent player. What line do you guys expect him to play on?

How have Thompson and Pheanuf looked so far? I liked Thompson in Anaheim a lot, solid defensively... and seemed to play better when playoffs started(had some really solid runs as a 4c for us).

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I like the trade for the kings.... rieder is a pretty decent player. What line do you guys expect him to play on?

How have Thompson and Pheanuf looked so far? I liked Thompson in Anaheim a lot, solid defensively... and seemed to play better when playoffs started(had some really solid runs as a 4c for us).

Totally guessing, and likely we'll find out more today, but thinking when Carter is back, it will be a Reider-Kempe-Lewis speed line. If not, he could fill in on the bottom like Reider-Thompson-Mitchell/Lewis. Lotta moving parts in the bottom six.

Phaneuf has been riding trade adrenaline I think but he's been clutch and I've been more impressed by his leadership, they've noted he's always talking and always positive but he's such a dick to other teams. I love it. And that's not counting the 3 goals. Plus so far, none of the panic in his game we've seen elsewhere, just making smart, simple plays, and having a mobile, smart partner in Martinez covers most of his weaknesses (he's definitely slow). It's nice to have beef back there that can play again. Thompson has been solid but I think he'll really shine vs. Pacific division/California games.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
I don't see much upside in Rieder. But I hope Wedgewood develops well.
Rieder is definitely the biggest piece in the deal for us. He's young, fast, and can be a very good depth scorer. Wedgewood may very well never play a game for the Kings. Jon Rosen tweeted how Jack Campbell could be the new back-up for the rest of this season and next. Then get Peterson in net in 2019-20

Mooy04

Apr 5, 2017
Los Angeles
From what some of the Yotes fans have said Rieder has lost some speed from a leg injury last year. I hope he can still bring some it because the team needs to get faster. We have made some moves in that regard but speed is the name of the game now in the NHL. I think Rieder is like a Lewis like player but more offensive sided than defensive. What does are lineup look like now with him in and when Carter comes back?

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Whattup Kings fans, LA native but Coyotes fan here to tell you that you're going to like Rieder. He has sneaky speed. It will come out of f***in nowhere. All the sudden he will be sprung out on a breakaway out of a nothing play. Think in between Carl Hagelin and Michael Grabner, more Hagelin, less Grabner. Great defensively, sneaky good there too. You don't notice him too much when he's defending against the puck, which is a good thing because that means he's doing his job.

His only issues:

- Has a difficult time finishing. I can't tell you frustrating it was to watch him have nearly a breakaway a game and only finish the season with like 12 goals. A lot of the times it's a fanned shot, right into the middle of the goalie's chest, wide, or over the net. It's almost as if he has so much speed he doesn't know what to do with it after he's one on one with the goalie so he panics. Give him some shooting practice, then all he'll need to work on is his consistency.

- See above, consistency. Very streaky.

- His agent f***in blows. Huge pain in the ass, I'm sure you already know that though. Last contract negotiations he was claiming Rieder should be making as much (or more than) Kadri and threatened a trade request if the Yotes didn't oblige. I guess that's the agent's job though.

EDIT: As a Yotes fan that has watched him pretty much his entire career, don't read into him losing a step in his speed too much. He has, but he's still probably one of the fastest players in the Western Conference, which is sayong something about how fast he used to be.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
I sense a larger trade is in the works. Some sort of deal where it's a couple of our guys and a high draft pick for a top 6 scoring rental. We'll see.....

Reactions: tny760

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad