Confirmed with Link: Rieder/Wedgewood to LA for Kuemper

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
wonders to self if we are still "a black hole" team

For lack of a better word, yes. The Kings didn't sell, so they're not rebuilding. However, they didn't pay any heavy prices to try to put them over the top for this season, so not buying.

They did what I hoped they would do: stay the course. They rid themselves of a contract for a player handcuffing the team (Gaborik) to take on another slightly less cumbersome contract (Phaneuf).

Then they trade their backup goalie they had no intentions of re-signing to replace Gaborik with a younger, less troubling contract (Rieder).

I'm not happy with losing Kuemper, but they have a middle 6 forward (that Gaborik was playing as) for a middle 6 price.

No core players were traded and no futures sacrificed. Very much "staying the course."

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
wonders to self if we are still "a black hole" team
Why do you wonder? The Kings are not contenders, may not make the playoffs, and if they do may be out in the first round.

Blake seems to be building this team to win a playoff round. For the Kings to move from black hole status, players like Vilardi and Clague better be pretty special and start contributing heavily next season. Along with that you can't have any backsliding from Kopitar and Quick.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Why do you wonder? The Kings are not contenders, may not make the playoffs, and if they do may be out in the first round.

Blake seems to be building this team to win a playoff round. For the Kings to move from black hole status, players like Vilardi and Clague better be pretty special and start contributing heavily next season. Along with that you can't have any backsliding from Kopitar and Quick.

They weren't contenders in 2012 either.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I think the Kings can "buy" his contract can't they? Basically meaning they pay whatever KHL team he's on some amount of money. Doubt it'll happen though since there's only 22ish games left.

Nah, the NHL doesn’t allow that. The only money NHL teams can pay to teams in other leagues are the negotiated amounts in the league transfer agreements. And there’s no transfer agreement between the NHL and KHL.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
If the kings buy out his KHL contract, that money will be considered compensation to the player and added to his cap hit.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Posted this on the trade board as well but forgot to post it here.

Probably part of the reason they're happy not dealing with him.

How Not to Negotiate–with Darren Ferris

Guy is just a grade A *****e who has been watching too many sales movies. Constantly burns bridges with players, organizations, and even peer agents.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can

Nice to see your speech has added the word may. At least your hedging your doom and gloom bet. So some progress with the outlook from nice to see some progress is better then none.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
They weren't contenders in 2012 either.
Not true. Every pundit predicted the Kings would go deep in the playoffs prior to the season. The team under performed.

Hope you can tell the difference between the 2012 Stanley Cup champs and this team.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Nice to see your speech has added the word may. At least your hedging your doom and gloom bet. So some progress with the outlook from nice to see some progress is better then none.

I have said on many occasions the Kings are no better than 1st round playoff fodder.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I have said on many occasions the Kings are no better than 1st round playoff fodder.
If i had the time i would go back thru your post and find the one or two that were they would be lucky to to make the playoff even then they would be bounced out fast. However i will not do it because u will find some way to not admit you were wrong . Your post are leaving some room now because this team is going back on a winning streak to allow them to make the playoffs without you being able to call u out on your opinion As i have stated before u do word things well (expect a few times when they got taken down) that attack people that disagree with your opinion. I so hope this team makes the playoffs and wins a round just to read how its still in a black hole because whatever reason you think of. Is this team a contender maybe not but were we going into 2012 no Anything can happen in the playoffs. As always enjoy the right to post ur doom and gloom I will continue to enjoy the teams improvements and look forward to there winning games.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Not true. Every pundit predicted the Kings would go deep in the playoffs prior to the season. The team under performed.

Hope you can tell the difference between the 2012 Stanley Cup champs and this team.

Links please? They were terrible pre Carter and only even had a chance for the playoffs because quick was outstanding during the year.

There is no way that everyone said at the beginning of that year that the kings had a shot at winning the cup. No chance in hell.

Of course there are differences from that team and this one. But you're also comparing the playoff version of that team. If you compare the regular seasons this team is better but again playoffs is another matter.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
It's hard to define a contender nowadays. After watching this team perform against Tampa, Pittsburgh, and Winnipeg on the road, it's not hard to see this team can hang with anyone. That's without Carter in the fold.

The Kings may not be the favorite, but I can't see any team being happy about facing them in a playoff situation. They are far from fodder, that's more like Calgary.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
If i had the time i would go back thru your post and find the one or two that were they would be lucky to to make the playoff even then they would be bounced out fast. However i will not do it because u will find some way to not admit you were wrong . Your post are leaving some room now because this team is going back on a winning streak to allow them to make the playoffs without you being able to call u out on your opinion As i have stated before u do word things well (expect a few times when they got taken down) that attack people that disagree with your opinion. I so hope this team makes the playoffs and wins a round just to read how its still in a black hole because whatever reason you think of. Is this team a contender maybe not but were we going into 2012 no Anything can happen in the playoffs. As always enjoy the right to post ur doom and gloom I will continue to enjoy the teams improvements and look forward to there winning games.

Tell me what this says:

I will concede Blake has made some moves which may cause a stir in the 1st round. Is that really the goal with this roster?

Yes, I can read and write the English language. Tell me, how have I attacked you personally? It seems to me you reply to my posts and discuss me. When I respond to your posts I make points about the team or organization.

You don't think the Kings were highly regarded going into the 2011-12 season? Here's a couple of samples for you:

Burnside: Answering our 10 burning questions for the season

From the article:

6. Which California-based team will end up with the most regular-season points, Ducks, Kings or Sharks?

LeBrun: Duh, the 2012 Cup-champion Sharks, of course, although the Kings and Ducks won't be far behind in the NHL's most competitive division, the Pacific. My mighty prediction: All three teams will end up with 100 or more points. But I think the Sharks will edge the Kings one more time for the division.

Phoenix actually won the Pacific Division, but LeBrun predicted them to finish 2nd in the division with over 100 points.

The Kings were ranked 4th in the Western Conference by the Hockey News before the start of the 2011-12 season:

The Hockey News 2011-12 NHL predictions | The Hockey News

There is more out there, but I have done enough of your research for you.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
For lack of a better word, yes. The Kings didn't sell, so they're not rebuilding. However, they didn't pay any heavy prices to try to put them over the top for this season, so not buying.

They did what I hoped they would do: stay the course. They rid themselves of a contract for a player handcuffing the team (Gaborik) to take on another slightly less cumbersome contract (Phaneuf).

Then they trade their backup goalie they had no intentions of re-signing to replace Gaborik with a younger, less troubling contract (Rieder).

I'm not happy with losing Kuemper, but they have a middle 6 forward (that Gaborik was playing as) for a middle 6 price.

No core players were traded and no futures sacrificed. Very much "staying the course."
I totally disagree this is a improved team since the trades Dion has made the pp a ton better his 3 goals has raised us up to 16th in the nhl from mid 20s For the first time this year i actually watch the pp because i know it has a chance to score rather then run to get a drink during it. Getting rid of gaborik for reider at least gives us a body in there that actually cares and can play. Gaborik is a shell of the guy that lead us to a cup. He was a healthy scratch most of this year (since jan and hadn't scored either) to get a defenseman that plays 18-20 mins a game is a hell of a upgrade to this roster. Bottom line the team is improving and there is a 2012 feel to this team A healthy Carter means alot to this team and if we had him all year i have no doubt we would be in the playoffs fighting for a home seed. Again as i say to kings17 and dead I disagree with your opinion but i say you have every right to express it./

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Reactions: KINGS17

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Links please? They were terrible pre Carter and only even had a chance for the playoffs because quick was outstanding during the year.

There is no way that everyone said at the beginning of that year that the kings had a shot at winning the cup. No chance in hell.

Of course there are differences from that team and this one. But you're also comparing the playoff version of that team. If you compare the regular seasons this team is better but again playoffs is another matter.

The Kings were identified as up and coming contenders prior to the 2011-12 season by many pundits, that is a fact.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I totally disagree this is a improved team since the trades Dion has made the pp a ton better his 3 goals has raised us up to 16th in the nhl from mid 20s For the first time this year i actually watch the pp because i know it has a chance to score rather then run to get a drink during it. Getting rid of gaborik for reider at least gives us a body in there that actually cares and can play. Gaborik is a shell of the guy that lead us to a cup. He was a healthy scratch most of this year (since jan and hadn't scored either) to get a defenseman that plays 18-20 mins a game is a hell of a upgrade to this roster. Bottom line the team is improving and there is a 2012 feel to this team A healthy Carter means alot to this team and if we had him all year i have no doubt we would be in the playoffs fighting for a home seed. Again as i say to kings17 and dead I disagree with your opinion but i say you have every right to express it./

I am not saying the Kings aren't better. I'm saying the Kings aren't buying to "go for it" and be a contender.

They're staying the course, keeping their core, and keeping their future intact.

Reactions: lexlavender

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
Teams don't add players like Phaneuf and Rieder and all of the sudden propel to contender unless they were close before.

I've said it lots before, this team is a playoff team, but likely won't go the distance. And that's fine.

It's clear that Blake is making moves with an eye for the future, which is exactly what he should be doing. We can talk contenders maybe once we have our big gun prospects make the team AND still get strong contributions from our top players.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I am not saying the Kings aren't better. I'm saying the Kings aren't buying to "go for it" and be a contender.

They're staying the course, keeping their core, and keeping their future intact.
then we have totally different definitions of black hole. To me a team in a black hole is not improving and have little hope not sure what ur meaning is

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
then we have totally different definitions of black hole. To me a team in a black hole is not improving and have little hope not sure what ur meaning is

A black hole to me is not a cup contender but not a lottery team.

Right now the Kings are fighting to make the playoffs. Of course, they COULD win the cup if they make the playoffs, but they have a fairly decent chance at missing the playoffs.

That's a black hole team.

Reactions: KINGS17

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
A black hole to me is not a cup contender but not a lottery team.

Right now the Kings are fighting to make the playoffs. Of course, they COULD win the cup if they make the playoffs, but they have a fairly decent chance at missing the playoffs.

That's a black hole team.
fair enough to me that is not a black hole team I have a totally different version of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad