Confirmed with Link: Rieder/Wedgewood to LA for Kuemper

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I think the team was a little hard to read due to Carter being out for most of the season. Now he's almost back. Now we have Phanuef to solidify the defense, reduce Doughty's minutes, and have more effective pairings. Rieder helps our PK and team speed. Rieder now is in a playoff chase.

All these moves allow the kings to slot players where they should be. Kempe is out of position. Carter coming back lets him return to being a 3rd line winger. This is still his rookie year.

Let's give the team some time together before we say they're not a playoff team or not a contender.

Reactions: KingTrouty

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
Not true. Every pundit predicted the Kings would go deep in the playoffs prior to the season. The team under performed.

Hope you can tell the difference between the 2012 Stanley Cup champs and this team.
95% of this board had written the 2012 team off in early February ...

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
There’s a difference between being down on a team with high expectations, and down on a team with no expectations.

I’d love to see this team, as presently constructed, from day 1 of the season, but the damage may already have been done. Still a fighting chance to make the postseason but this is nowhere near the same situation.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
There’s a difference between being down on a team with high expectations, and down on a team with no expectations.

I’d love to see this team, as presently constructed, from day 1 of the season, but the damage may already have been done. Still a fighting chance to make the postseason but this is nowhere near the same situation.

I think their performance since 2014-15 has set our expectations to be lower than ever before, but then you had upper management saying this is a playoff team, and their payroll reflects a team that should be playoff contenders. But then you come to the realization that there is only a handful of players this team relies upon to do the heavy lifting.

I'm not going to expect Carter to set the league on fire upon his return. Might take him a few games, or even weeks, to get back to game shape. I'd say this is a team capable of getting to the playoffs, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they didn't qualify, which in essence makes them an average, run of the mill team. The proverbial "black hole" team that Lombardi often referenced when he took over this team in 2006.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I think Lombardi defined the “black hole” as a team not good enough to make the playoffs but not bad enough to draft a true difference maker. If you’re the 17th to 23rd best team in the league, you’re a black hole team.

Reactions: SlimCharles

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I think Lombardi defined the “black hole” as a team not good enough to make the playoffs but not bad enough to draft a true difference maker. If you’re the 17th to 23rd best team in the league, you’re a black hole team.

Or barely make the playoffs and lose in the 1st round year after year. You're good enough to make the playoffs [ Red Wings], but drafting right behind the team that missed by 10 points.

Last edited:
Reactions: KINGS17

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
How many teams are annual "locks" to make the playoffs? None really, not with the NHL's parity. So I wouldn't say you missing is the sole reason for angst... but there's no reason why LA hasn't been the Boston of the West... except drafting I guess.

The black hole thing = treadmill 7-11 team in the NBA. Same thing, only there it's even worse because it's less team/more individual. Nothing's sh*ttier than that.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00