Confirmed with Link: Rieder/Wedgewood to LA for Kuemper

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I sense a larger trade is in the works. Some sort of deal where it's a couple of our guys and a high draft pick for a top 6 scoring rental. We'll see.....

personally i don't see why we would have AZ retain on rieder if not

i don't feel like you usually force retention unless you have a plan for that money

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
Whattup Kings fans, LA native but Coyotes fan here to tell you that you're going to like Rieder. He has sneaky speed. It will come out of ****in nowhere. All the sudden he will be sprung out on a breakaway out of a nothing play. Think in between Carl Hagelin and Michael Grabner, more Hagelin, less Grabner. Great defensively, sneaky good there too. You don't notice him too much when he's defending against the puck, which is a good thing because that means he's doing his job.

His only issues:

- Has a difficult time finishing. I can't tell you frustrating it was to watch him have nearly a breakaway a game and only finish the season with like 12 goals. A lot of the times it's a fanned shot, right into the middle of the goalie's chest, wide, or over the net. It's almost as if he has so much speed he doesn't know what to do with it after he's one on one with the goalie so he panics. Give him some shooting practice, then all he'll need to work on is his consistency.

- See above, consistency. Very streaky.

- His agent ****in blows. Huge pain in the ass, I'm sure you already know that though. Last contract negotiations he was claiming Rieder should be making as much (or more than) Kadri and threatened a trade request if the Yotes didn't oblige. I guess that's the agent's job though.

EDIT: As a Yotes fan that has watched him pretty much his entire career, don't read into him losing a step in his speed too much. He has, but he's still probably one of the fastest players in the Western Conference, which is sayong something about how fast he used to be.

Thanks for the info much appreciated

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Whattup Kings fans, LA native but Coyotes fan here to tell you that you're going to like Rieder. He has sneaky speed. It will come out of ****in nowhere. All the sudden he will be sprung out on a breakaway out of a nothing play. Think in between Carl Hagelin and Michael Grabner, more Hagelin, less Grabner. Great defensively, sneaky good there too. You don't notice him too much when he's defending against the puck, which is a good thing because that means he's doing his job.

His only issues:

- Has a difficult time finishing. I can't tell you frustrating it was to watch him have nearly a breakaway a game and only finish the season with like 12 goals. A lot of the times it's a fanned shot, right into the middle of the goalie's chest, wide, or over the net. It's almost as if he has so much speed he doesn't know what to do with it after he's one on one with the goalie so he panics. Give him some shooting practice, then all he'll need to work on is his consistency.

- See above, consistency. Very streaky.

- His agent ****in blows. Huge pain in the ass, I'm sure you already know that though. Last contract negotiations he was claiming Rieder should be making as much (or more than) Kadri and threatened a trade request if the Yotes didn't oblige. I guess that's the agent's job though.

EDIT: As a Yotes fan that has watched him pretty much his entire career, don't read into him losing a step in his speed too much. He has, but he's still probably one of the fastest players in the Western Conference, which is sayong something about how fast he used to be.

Thanks for providing that info. He almost sounds like Craig Johnson, but capable of producing more than him.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
I think Blake is done making a major trade after this deal. I think by the deadline he will unload some bottom 6 players for draft picks if a deal is available . Not sure why retention was part of the deal, but Blake was probably being cautious in case a surprise trade request comes in that is beneficial for the team.

I also think that Blake trading Kuemper shows that Blake is not confident this team can go deep in the playoffs. If he really thought we could go all the way, he would have kept Kuemper as an insurance policy. As of now, if Quick goes down, we are done.

Getting Reider is a good deal for the present and for the future. He is still pretty young, will fit in well on our bottom 6, and adds the speed this team needs. Although his agent has been frustrating in the negotiations, Reider may agree to a good deal if he likes playing in LA, which is a huge upgrade over the dumpster fire in the desert.

Next year, if we can get a few more draft picks by unloading our extra bottom 6ers, we will do well in the draft. We will also have Vilardi taking a crack at the NHL roster. Slowly but surely Blake is rebuilding this team.

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
The retention may have been to partially offset the Wedgewood part of the deal. Don't think we really wanted him, but AZ probably forced us to take him, partially because they are at the 50 contract limit.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The retention may have been to partially offset the Wedgewood part of the deal. Don't think we really wanted him, but AZ probably forced us to take him, partially because they are at the 50 contract limit.

It could also mean a promotion for Jack Campbell, which in turn would require Wedgewood to serve as a backup to Petersen.

Speaking of which... Campbell was called up.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Blake clearly stated that he’s not on the market for a rental

A good business person seldom states their true intention before any sort of deal is closed. If Blake were to come out and say "we're definitely looking for a rental", guess what? The price Blake would have otherwise paid for a rental has now increased.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Am I correct in assuming that Wedgewood can be sent to Ontario without having to clear waivers? He's only played in 24 NHL games...... For comparison's sake, Gravel's played in 68 NHL games and, last time I checked, can be sent to Ontario without having to clear waivers. Both Gravel and Wedgewood are 25 years old......

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Am I correct in assuming that Wedgewood can be sent to Ontario without having to clear waivers? He's only played in 24 NHL games...... For comparison's sake, Gravel's played in 68 NHL games and, last time I checked, can be sent to Ontario without having to clear waivers. Both Gravel and Wedgewood are 25 years old......

No, he is not waiver-exempt.

Los Angeles Kings - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

If I'm reading correctly, Wedgewood would have to go through waivers again. Originally he cleared waivers with the Devils at the start of the season. After Louis Domingue pooped the bed, the Coyotes traded a 5th round pick for Wedgewood. Once a player has been on the NHL team for 30 days and played in more than 10 games, then he'd need to clear waivers again.

That said, I can't imagine too many teams putting a claim on Wedgewood at this point.

Reactions: tny760 and Basilisk

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

It doesn't go by age, goes by signing age, # of professional seasons, position and games played in the NHL.

- Gravel signed at age 23, getting 3 years exemption or 60 games. 2017-18 would be his 3rd year of waiver exemption, however he hit the 60 NHL game mark on January 18th and thus is no longer exempt.

- Wedgewood signed at age 20, getting 4 years exemption or 80 games. His exemption years were 2012-13, 2013-14, 2014-15 and 2015-16.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I think the retention was just to balance out the salaries. $2.5+ million coming in and $650k going out without it. With retention it's about $2.2 in and $1 million going out. AZ was at the 50 contract limit so I think AZ insisted on including Wedgewood even though the Kings didn't need him.

$12 million in deadline space. I think the kings aren't going to make a major trade. Blake has improved the roster significantly without spending many critical assets. He's done well so far.

I think they figured Campbell was ready and is not a big drop off from Kuemper. So since they were going to lose Kuemper anyway next year and a backup is only needed for maybe 4 more games, improving speed was a deal that couldn't be passed up. We are starting Quick every game in the playoffs (crosses fingers) so a backup is not as important.

If we lose Quick, we're done anyway.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
It doesn't go by age, goes by signing age, # of professional seasons, position and games played in the NHL.

- Gravel signed at age 23, getting 3 years exemption or 60 games. 2017-18 would be his 3rd year of waiver exemption, however he hit the 60 NHL game mark on January 18th and thus is no longer exempt.

- Wedgewood signed at age 20, getting 4 years exemption or 80 games. His exemption years were 2012-13, 2013-14, 2014-15 and 2015-16.

LoL, now I know why I never bothered to finish my accounting degree. Too many peeps making things way too complicated. Thanks, though, for translating the stuff for me.....

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Is Scrivens eligible to be signed for this season? I would feel more comfortable with him than Wedgewood.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Is Scrivens eligible to be signed for this season? I would feel more comfortable with him than Wedgewood.

He would need to have an out with this KHL club, which isn’t too common. And would have to go through waivers similar to Nabokov and the Rangers/Islanders back in 2011.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
He would need to have an out with this KHL club, which isn’t too common. And would have to go through waivers similar to Nabokov and the Rangers/Islanders back in 2011.
I think the Kings can "buy" his contract can't they? Basically meaning they pay whatever KHL team he's on some amount of money. Doubt it'll happen though since there's only 22ish games left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad