Confirmed with Link: Rieder/Wedgewood to LA for Kuemper

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Good for Kuemper. He will get a chance to be a #1 goalie in Phoenix. Quick is still the present and Petersen is being groomed to be the future.

Reider is only 25 years of age and seems to be having a down season. Hope this is a buy low situation for the Kings.

raswilliam

Feb 18, 2008
East TN.
Wedgewood is a little bit more improvisational than most goalies nowadays. Coincidentally he was drafted the year that Staples Center hosted. Decent puckhandler, maybe less than ideal height/size compared to most NHL goalies nowadays. Maybe play him against the Devils next month; He shut us out when we played in Arizona.

Kings only have three more back-to-backs the rest of the way, so maybe they figure they can skimp on a backup for now.

He is 6'2" 195lbs

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
surprising to hear given kuemper's performance lately but we definitely sold high. dude took his time here like a champ and he's being rewarded with a solid paycheck and a solid role so i'm happy for him.

sounds like rieder is fast and a controllable asset so it's a plus for the kings imo

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
the guys first three seasons he's posted 13, 14, and 16 goals, and last couple have been mid-30s in points

Dwight King numbers ;) but with speed

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
He is 6'2" 195lbs

It's kinda funny, I noticed that he was suddenly listed as 6'2 when he got moved from the Devils to Arizona. He was seemingly listed at 6'0 or 6'1 during his time in the Devils system. He is noticeably smaller than Keith Kinkaid who is listed as 6'2 or 6'3.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Kings schedule looks pretty good in terms of rest days down the stretch.

2/26: VGK
2/27: @VGK

3/12: VAN
3/13: @ARZ

3/19: @MIN
3/20: @WPG

3/29: ARZ
3/30: @ANA

Not to take Arizona for granted, but they'll probably be a depleted club post-deadline. But I suppose every point could be crucial.

The usual suspects:

Chad Johnson - Little pricy @2.5 million, but on an expiring deal. Buffalo probably would be willing to eat some of the contract to facilitate a deal. With Mrazek going to Philly, the number of teams needing a goalie has diminished.

Calvin Pickard - Stuck as the #3 in Toronto. RFA after season.

Michael Hutchinson - UFA after season. Winnipeg may be obliged to keep him for now in case Steve Mason's concussion issue recur.

Ondrej Pavelec - .....reaching the dregs here.
I think the Islanders might make a move for a goalie and a defenseman. That could free up one of Halak/Greiss. They both have bad numbers, but the Islanders play the worst team defense in the NHL. I think Halak makes an excellent backup.

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
I just hope whoever we have as back-up can fill Kuemper's shoes, because he was instrumental in us staying in the playoff race.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I wonder if this means Arizona is getting calls on Raanta? He's an UFA at seasons end, maybe they want to maximize the asset before March 1. He's been pretty good this year.

They have Kuemper now signed so it seems logical.

I'll be interested to see how Kuemper does in the desert. Good luck to him, he was solid here and bailed the Kings most nights between the pipes.

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
Step 1: Sign goaltender with potential

Step 2: Develop goaltender

Step 3: Trade goaltender

Step 4: Profit; rinse and repeat

I wasn't a fan of the Phaneuf trade, but I love this move. Kuemper, though a good goalie, wasn't gonna re-sign over the summer and his value is at an all-time high. Flip him and get a speedy LW who's an RFA at season's end.

Once Carter and Lewis come back, Rieder - Kempe - Lewis will be a blazing third line. It'll be great to have a bottom-six mostly composed of players who contribute offensively and not just go for hits and take penalties.

I also think it's a good deal for ARI since Kuemper showed some great flashes this season. Hopefully he doesn't bite the Kings in the ass going forward.

edit: A little bit concerned about the backup goaltending situation. Not comfortable with Wedgewood should Quick go down. Mayor suggested he might be on the move in favor of Campbell, but not comfortable with him, either.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Just to stay healthy Imo. He was going to start most of the games down the stretch anyhow. Imo the kings lost 4 games from kuemper the rest of the season.
it's like the opposite of the bishop trade

which i wish i could forget

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I am almost certain that the Kings are going to send Amadio back to Ontario, which I think is total crap, but we will see.

This is an amazing deal though, Blake knows how tough this team is to beat when they get scoring from the bottom six.

What I would do.

Iafallo - Kopitar - Brown
Pearson - Carter - Toffoli
Kempe - Amadio - Rieder
Thompson - Mitchell - Lewis

What I think Stevens will do.

Rieder - Kempe - Lewis
Clifford - Thompson - Mitchell

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Michael Hutchinson - UFA after season. Winnipeg may be obliged to keep him for now in case Steve Mason's concussion issue recur.

Hutchinson is also out with a concussion at the moment. Jets have lots of faith in Eric Comrie (and he's finally started to put it together in AHL this year) so Hutch could probably be had for a mid to late pick. He will be looking for an NHL opportunity next year for sure. Looks like he might have a Jason Labarbera type career.

This is a fantastic deal for the Kings, IMO. Kuemper is another decent backup guy like Scrivens was but easily replaceable. Reider is a great add that can play up and down the lineup. Wedgewood/Campbell as backups is a mite concerning, but considering it'll probably only be 3-4 games down the stretch it's ok. And Kings can go out and get another reclamation project like Kuemper in the off-season (Hutch as mentioned above would probably be a good one).

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I think Reider sounds like a younger Lewis lots of speed good defensively plays pk well and misses on breakaways Could we be setting up for a Lewis for futures type deal ? Its going to be a interesting 5 days coming. No way are we done

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
I am almost certain that the Kings are going to send Amadio back to Ontario, which I think is total crap, but we will see.

This is an amazing deal though, Blake knows how tough this team is to beat when they get scoring from the bottom six.

What I would do.

Kempe - Amadio - Rieder
Thompson - Mitchell - Lewis

What I think Stevens will do.

Rieder - Kempe - Lewis
Clifford - Thompson - Mitchell

I like the look of the top roster but I'd put in Brodzinski over Thompson. I don't think Stevens will run any lineup we pick, but...

Iafallo--Kopitar--Brown
Pearson--Carter--Toffoli
Kempe--Amaido--Rieder
Lewis--Mitchell--Brodzinski

Wow!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad