Confirmed with Link: Rieder/Wedgewood to LA for Kuemper

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Wow, this came out of nowhere. Perhaps the organization saw an opportunity to move an asset while his value is high and bring in a player in his prime who could provide additional scoring and speed.

Or, they could perhaps flip Rieder for another player? Seems like the Kings are overcrowded with forwards, especially with Carter coming back.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Iafallo-Kopitar-Brown
Pearson-Carter-Toffoli
Rieder-Kempe-Lewis
Andreoff-Amadio-Brodizinksi
Clifford-Mitchell-Thompson

We have an entire extra line of bottom 6 forwards. Gotta be more to this, someone has to get moved, unless Amadio and Brodz are going back down (Which would be a shame, because they're playing really well).

Amadio goes down and Kings deal one of Thompson or Clifford.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Wow, this came out of nowhere. Perhaps the organization saw an opportunity to move an asset while his value is high and bring in a player in his prime who could provide additional scoring and speed.

Or, they could perhaps flip Rieder for another player? Seems like the Kings are overcrowded with forwards, especially with Carter coming back.

"Hey Chyka...did you happen to catch the Winnipeg game last night? Can I have Rieder?"

Reactions: Ziggy Stardust

idlehnds

Jan 16, 2006
Do you think he will play tonight? I doubt it but just curious of your opinions.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Wedgewood is a little bit more improvisational than most goalies nowadays. Coincidentally he was drafted the year that Staples Center hosted. Decent puckhandler, maybe less than ideal height/size compared to most NHL goalies nowadays. Maybe play him against the Devils next month; He shut us out when we played in Arizona.

Kings only have three more back-to-backs the rest of the way, so maybe they figure they can skimp on a backup for now.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Something has to give before tomorrow, but that could just be LaDue going back down. If they're going Doughty, Martinez, Folin, there's nowhere for him to play. Or do Mersch. I imagine he goes back one way or the other. Then either Amadio or Brodzinski.

Or they could trade a guy, but there's no need to. Although that might be the best time to trade a guy.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I don't mind the trade itself because its capitalizing on Kuemper's trade value, but it seems peculiar with Carter and Lewis coming back this week. Mersch is going back down for sure, and then one of Ladue/Gravel (Ladue most likely since he's not waiver eligible) so that clears up 2 spots, but who else goes down with Reider coming in? Probably means Brodzinski goes down, but both him and Amadio have been killing it recently. Have a hunch Blake isn't done here.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Something has to give before tomorrow, but that could just be LaDue going back down. If they're going Doughty, Martinez, Folin, there's nowhere for him to play. Or do Mersch. I imagine he goes back one way or the other. Then either Amadio or Brodzinski.

Or they could trade a guy, but there's no need to. Although that might be the best time to trade a guy.
Mersch it still on the roster too.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Not a bad move. Hope Campbell is ready.

Not a fan of sending down Amadio and Brodzinski.

My guess:

AI Kopi Brown
Pearson Carter Toffoli
Rieder Kempe Lewis
Clifford Mitchell Thompson
AA

Are Clifford and AA signed next year?

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Out: Shore, Gaborik, Dowd, Kuemper, Laich, Jokinen

In: Phaneuf, Thompson, Mitchell, Rieder, Wedgewood, Subban

Nice.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

Nice.

Include the pick used to get Mitchell in the "out". He wasn't free.

Cam out as well. Really, Cam/Laich/Jokinen was just Blake tinkering with his last fantasy football roster spot.

I like maximizing Keumper, but Quick better stay healthy.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
It's good value wise, but still struggling to see why we need a middle 6'er guy like Rieder when we have guys making less that can grow into that role. He's essentially a smaller Tanner Pearson lite.

Perhaps another team inquired about specific players? Can't seem to figure this one out. Kuemper has been really solid, not sure this fixes anything but it potentially opens up a hole.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I would think Blake will make a move for another goaltender.

Kings schedule looks pretty good in terms of rest days down the stretch.

2/26: VGK
2/27: @VGK

3/12: VAN
3/13: @ARZ

3/19: @MIN
3/20: @WPG

3/29: ARZ
3/30: @ANA

Not to take Arizona for granted, but they'll probably be a depleted club post-deadline. But I suppose every point could be crucial.

The usual suspects:

Chad Johnson - Little pricy @2.5 million, but on an expiring deal. Buffalo probably would be willing to eat some of the contract to facilitate a deal. With Mrazek going to Philly, the number of teams needing a goalie has diminished.

Calvin Pickard - Stuck as the #3 in Toronto. RFA after season.

Michael Hutchinson - UFA after season. Winnipeg may be obliged to keep him for now in case Steve Mason's concussion issue recur.

Ondrej Pavelec - .....reaching the dregs here.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I'm hoping not. They are in the 1st year of their new contracts. Good cap hits. They fit in on the ice and locker room. They are fairly young still and playoff tested. Carter coming back should get them back on track.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Nice.

Leslie and Zatkoff too. Nothing crazy, but. Allowed Moulson to play in Ontario.

Blake seems to always be trying something.

Include the pick used to get Mitchell in the "out". He wasn't free.

Cam out as well. Really, Cam/Laich/Jokinen was just Blake tinkering with his last fantasy football roster spot.

I like maximizing Keumper, but Quick better stay healthy.

Which is always the case regardless of the backup situation. Maybe Jones could've done something, but it's usually Quick or nothing.

Reactions: BigKing

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Kings schedule looks pretty good in terms of rest days down the stretch.

2/26: VGK
2/27: @VGK

3/12: VAN
3/13: @ARZ

3/19: @MIN
3/20: @WPG

3/29: ARZ
3/30: @ANA

Not to take Arizona for granted, but they'll probably be a depleted club post-deadline. But I suppose every point could be crucial.

The usual suspects:

Chad Johnson - Little pricy @2.5 million, but on an expiring deal. Buffalo probably would be willing to eat some of the contract to facilitate a deal. With Mrazek going to Philly, the number of teams needing a goalie has diminished.

Calvin Pickard - Stuck as the #3 in Toronto. RFA after season.

Michael Hutchinson - UFA after season. Winnipeg may be obliged to keep him for now in case Steve Mason's concussion issue recur.

Ondrej Pavelec - .....reaching the dregs here.
Kuemper and Arizona are totally going to beat the Kings...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad