Coach Discussion: Rick Bowness

How would you grade Rick Bowness so far at the 1/4 mark?

• A- to A+

Votes: 147 68.4%
  • B- to B+

Votes: 46 21.4%
  • C- to C+

Votes: 17 7.9%
  • D- to D+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F

Votes: 5 2.3%

• Total voters

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Dude was in charge of d and the pk which both improved but yeah collapse. Right
If I promoted anyone it would be Brad Lauer looking at how badly the team collapsed during his absence... but TNSE has to give Bones two more years - they handcuffed him running it back with Wheeler still there

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
I wonder if Bowness even wants to continue after this season. He contemplated retirement last offseason. Had a few health scares. Turns 69 years old in January.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I wonder if Bowness even wants to continue after this season. He contemplated retirement last offseason. Had a few health scares. Turns 69 years old in January.

I think there is a good chance. My strong belief is you are only as old as you think you are but if he has had health scares and you combine that with the wear and tear of the NHL travel schedule sooner or later it can catch up with you.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I think there is a good chance. My strong belief is you are only as old as you think you are but if he has had health scares and you combine that with the wear and tear of the NHL travel schedule sooner or later it can catch up with you.

I think we're a year away from Associate Coach Arneil losing the Associate tag.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think we're a year away from Associate Coach Arneil losing the Associate tag.

I believe that has been the plan since before Bones was hired. Scott was in place while the Trotz negotiations were happening and Barry was always a short term play.

I think Scott has done a good job here as an associate so far. I am not sure he would be the best choice for our next head coach but I don’t want to get too far ahead of myself here.

Reactions: TommyKillian

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I believe that has been the plan since before Bones was hired. Scott was in place while the Trotz negotiations were happening and Barry was always a short term play.

I think Scott has done a good job here as an associate so far. I am not sure he would be the best choice for our next head coach but I don’t want to get too far ahead of myself here.

Yeah. I think Plan A was Trotz moving up to management after a year or two with Arneil taking over, Plan B is Arneil taking over from Bowness. Either way, not that exciting.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yeah. I think Plan A was Trotz moving up to management after a year or two with Arneil taking over, Plan B is Arneil taking over from Bowness. Either way, not that exciting.

As a guy that respects Scott the person and believes in him as an associate coach my hope is he remains an associate coach and his plan was just to move back here and work out his time until he wants to retire.

If Scott gets promoted to full time head coach then we know who is calling the shots in Hockey ops.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
As a guy that respects Scott the person and believes in him as an associate coach my hope is he remains an associate coach and his plan was just to move back here and work out his time until he wants to retire.

If Scott gets promoted to full time head coach then we know who is calling the shots in Hockey ops.

I'm hoping if they promote internally it's Lauer who gets th gig. His more offensive minded approach is the direction the game is trending in. He's also got a lot of experience coaching youth from his time in the Dub. He'd be good for the transition to the younger group.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
so lots of discussion in the post-GDT thread about end of games rolling 4 lines.

which coaches are rolling their 4th or weaker scoring lines in ties or down late in the game? even maurice got this criticism but are you expecting the likes of our 4th liners to score or top6-9? seems pretty easy question to answer to me, however, seems like some want more 4th line at end of games :dunno:.

i just checked the games from LAK, CAR and PIT over the weekend... looks like they had lines not play or barely play at all toward the end of the game.

so which team out there is playing 4th liners frequently at the end of a close game esp. if trying to score?

Reactions: Stumbledore

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
Are people talking about rolling 4 lines? I thought the argument was that the 1st line is playing too much relative to the 2nd.

I do think Bones seems a bit unwilling for whatever reason to give Ehlers and his 2nd line lots of minutes. There might be some kind of explanation I'm not aware of, though (maybe Perfetti was banged up?). He also doesn't seem to trust Ehlers / Perfetti enough in 3v3 4v4 situations imo

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I think one issue under PoMo was his "theory of pairs" -- the idea being that key players had an ideal complementary player who was then tied to them irrevocably. 55/ 81 (and 26 at times), 17 and Copper. In that schema, the third wheel on any such line could be anyone, and often was. It meant that the defensively weak KFC was out there in the dying moments of games just because 55 was, and these key pairings were playing huge and disproportionate (to results) minutes because they were seen as central to team success.

As a result, players who could and should have improved their all-round play or see their minutes reduced didn't have to. Lines were often unbalanced, and favoured players were worn out by the end of the season. New and potentially superior combos were rarely tried and quickly abandoned, however promising, and we were forever hearing the "needing someone to play with X" narrative.

Enter Bowness. Everything is new, legacy locker-room deals are out the window, every player commits to 200-foot play and every player earns his minutes.

Did it happen?/ We still saw 2nd-line / PP1 Wheeler, lazy D play from KFC and 55, heavy emphasis on scoring/ checking / energy (admittedly with some pretty ropey personnel) and an odd emphasis on face-off wins that saw Kevin Stenlund lumbering round the ice ineffectively at key moments in games. We also saw that when the top scorers were off their games, there was insufficient scoring from the depth to make up for it. It killed us down the stretch and in the POs.

New season, new depth, and once Villardi returns, the potential for far more balanced lines and greater scoring efficiency. I guess we'll see a perfect-world Bowness do his thing, and then be in a better position to judge his decisions.

Carbooja

Uncle Salaami
Jun 2, 2011
Brampton, Ontario
Are people talking about rolling 4 lines? I thought the argument was that the 1st line is playing too much relative to the 2nd.

I do think Bones seems a bit unwilling for whatever reason to give Ehlers and his 2nd line lots of minutes. There might be some kind of explanation I'm not aware of, though (maybe Perfetti was banged up?). He also doesn't seem to trust Ehlers / Perfetti enough in 3v3 4v4 situations imo
He was upfront about Ehlers, he said he's going to ease him in because of all the injuries. So not a ton of minutes off the bat.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00