Coach Discussion: Rick Bowness - Jack Adams Finalist

How would you grade Rick Bowness so far at the 1/4 mark?

• A- to A+

Votes: 149 67.1%
  • B- to B+

Votes: 46 20.7%
  • C- to C+

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • D- to D+

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • F

Votes: 8 3.6%

• Total voters

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
@RC51 If you’re in a high pressure job, and paid 10 to 100 times more then the regular schmoe, I’d expect that person to be called out if they weren’t doing their job properly. Hell, I was once reamed out for putting a shoe box back in the wrong place.
Must have been before the labour's shortage. Now you can't fire an employee for stealing because you might not find anyone else.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
I change my vote to a B for Coaching from Bones this year.

I applaud the courage it must have taken to say what he said during the last Post Game!
1682757703582.gif

Hot headed or not it needed to be said. BRAVO!

Today‘s exiting interviews should be interesting to say the least. My money is on the Players chickening out with clichés 101.

If Chevy continues to be vague and give none answers to reporters questions, shame on him, Chipper will ultimately pay the price for keeping this clown in charge for so long.

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
if I play for the jets I walk in right now and ask for a trade. this player attack is for the locker room ONLY. Never but NEVER on global TV. yes Jets had a stinker of a game, evey team has one once in a while ( or if you wish " shiiiit happens " thats why its called shiiiit )
This has been going on for years not just one playoff series then maybe i would agree with you. Bowness said exactly what needed to be said and if the players feelings are hurt too bad. The players should say the exact same thing as Bowness if they look in the mirror and are honest with themselves.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
well what has been further confirmed for me at least from discussions from last off-season, is a younger/inexperienced coach would have gotten ran over, backed up on, and further ran over again from this team.

Last edited:

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
The Florida-Boston series has taught us that Maurice was not the problem, and coaching is the least of our concerns. It's the fact that Wheeler and some fo the core are running the asylum, and throwing the coach under the bus.
Maurice firing himself seems like it should have been a red flag.

I like Bowness but god damn

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
The Florida-Boston series has taught us that Maurice was not the problem, and coaching is the least of our concerns. It's the fact that Wheeler and some fo the core are running the asylum, and throwing the coach under the bus.
Wheeler is the problem, and I stated that on here last year. They took the C off him and didn't finish the job, by getting rid of him. He's now a cancerous tumour in the lockeroom, and its malignant, and is starting to mestatisize and spread, to other players in the room.

He is "highly toxic" and they have to get rid of him, or he'll destroy this club.

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013
Wheeler is the problem, and I stated that on here last year. They took the C off him and didn't finish the job, by getting rid of him. He's now a cancerous tumour in the lockeroom, and its malignant, and is starting to mestatisize and spread, to other players in the room.

He is "highly toxic" and they have to get rid of him, or he'll destroy this club.
Remember he told a reporter to F off and this FIGHT! Wheeler And Chiarot Trade Punches At Practice
Laine situation
And also altercation with Buff in 18/19

Last edited:

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Remember he told a reporter to F off and this FIGHT! Wheeler And Chiarot Trade Punches At Practice
Laine situation
And also altercation with Buff in 18/19
Very good points, and I'm glad you mentioned that. I didn't know if he had an altercation with Buff ?? in 18/19. What happened, was there a fight between these 2 guys ? and I'm sure Wheeler started it. Not very smart to pick a fight with a monster like Buff.

He seems to be such a touchy volatile guy -- not good for a leader, in my opinion. The Jets must get rid of this guy, but his contract is so high, that it will be difficult. It will cost them, but worth it in the long run.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Cheveldayoff has put Rick Bowness in a terrible position for next season.
Depending on who stays and who goes, Bowness is in a no win position.
It’s disappointing that the organization doesn’t perceive the power dynamics of this club.
I wish one of the media would have brought up Maurice quitting which was essentially the primary factor.
Maurice doesn’t get a pass either because it festered right under his nose for several seasons ( ruffled feathers)
I really hope they give Bowness a chance by getting rid of at least Wheeler this offseason.
If they don’t then you can count on more of the same dysfunction.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Cheveldayoff has put Rick Bowness in a terrible position for next season.
Depending on who stays and who goes, Bowness is in a no win position.
It’s disappointing that the organization doesn’t perceive the power dynamics of this club.
I wish one of the media would have brought up Maurice quitting which was essentially the primary factor.
Maurice doesn’t get a pass either because it festered right under his nose for several seasons ( ruffled feathers)
I really hope they give Bowness a chance by getting rid of at least Wheeler this offseason.
If they don’t then you can count on more of the same dysfunction.
I think the org not only perceives the power dynamic but actively supports it. I think Chipman has the perspective that coaches are easily replaced but star players aren't, so better to support them. Bowness will just have to put on his big boy pants and suck it up.

There is some merit to keeping your stars happy, if they truly are but I don't see anything of the sort. And their collective thin-skinned, disingenuous response in the interviews has only soured me on them further. Including players that I thought previously could be proper leaders on this team, like Lowry. I'm now of a mind that I wish they would gut this team like a trout and start fresh. The problem may have started with 26 and 55 but it has spread and taken root and now can't be treated. Amputation is the only option left.

I hope the soon to be UFA brigade makes Chevy's decision for him by letting him know now that they have no interest in signing new contracts here, no matter how much money he dangles in front of them.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
OK, add Ehlers ice time to that. My biggest concern is player evaluation in general.
Ehlers ice ice time is on Ehlers. He was broken all year. A sports hernia is no joke to recover from. If you remember Bowness started the year with what looked like a plan to use him more.

What else?

ChadBigly

May 5, 2021

Schiefele keeping an "A" has to have been a huge issue too. Maybe I'm reading too much in to it, but at the start of the year whenever a goal was scored when he was on the ice - he was suddenly real talkative in congratulating guys on the ice with him - he seemed to really be trying to be a "good leader". But honestly I could just feel the other guys rolling their eyes through my TV. I think he was already slowing down anyway, but after his benching he stopped "leading" altogether and was just regular Schiefele again, surprise surprise.

Reactions: GNP and AlaskaJet

kenobiwan

Jun 1, 2022
Schiefele never deserved a letter on his jersey, has always been about himself and his stats. For a self proclaimed hockey junkie he never learned or tried to learn about the defensive aspects of the centre position.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Looking back now on the season and zooming up Big picture I would say Rick is about C+ as a coach.

I loved his passion in the press conference after the team no showed game 5 in the playoffs. I also liked how he modified it but held his ground in the player locker clean out day. He’s not a p***y and isn’t scared to try to at least hold our entitled class to an acceptable standard.

First half of the season he had them playing really well and buying in and that was a fun run and Rick was a solid A. Not sure why but the team seemed to quit on him and each other for a two month stretch in the second half of the season he was at an F up until the last 8 games or so and he was back to an A for that part. He got them into the playoffs so he gets a passing grade.

My concern with Bones is I think he is a good guy and a below average to average NHL head coach.

Under Bones in Dallas in 2021-22 his team had 238 GF and 246 GA for a -8 and his team was generously described as boring and the only way they could play you was "three yards and a cloud of dust"

Three yards and a cloud of dust is an expression of pride among those that play physical football and enjoy methodically marching down the field. Most use the expression as a pejorative for a dated, dull, and unimaginative style of play.

Dallas Fans didn't liked how he had Dallas playing last season. They replaced Bones and brought in Pete DeBoer and this season and with a very similar line up the Stars could beat you any way you wanted to play and they had 285 goals (almost a staggering 50 more) and also gave up less goals 218 and were +67. So they had a team goals for-against of 75 better under Pete which is almost a goal a game. That is a crazy improvement.

On to Bones time with the Jets I think he did a very good job especially in the first half helping us give up less goals and at the end of the season we have up 225 vs 2021-22 where our Maurice Lowry team gave up 257 so swing of 32 less goals (nice). Bones Jets team scored 5 more goals than MOLO coaching group.

I think Bones was "ok" which is similar to our team which is ok. I don't mind him being around for one more season but we can and need to do better.

This is just all part of the culture of average that Mark and Chevy seem to have settled into. A culture of no accountability with the players that hopefully gets cleaned up this off season via player movement.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Looking back now on the season and zooming up Big picture I would say Rick is about C+ as a coach.

I loved his passion in the press conference after the team no showed game 5 in the playoffs. I also liked how he modified it but held his ground in the player locker clean out day. He’s not a p***y and isn’t scared to try to at least hold our entitled class to an acceptable standard.

First half of the season he had them playing really well and buying in and that was a fun run and Rick was a solid A. Not sure why but the team seemed to quit on him and each other for a two month stretch in the second half of the season he was at an F up until the last 8 games or so and he was back to an A for that part. He got them into the playoffs so he gets a passing grade.

My concern with Bones is I think he is a good guy and a below average to average NHL head coach.

Under Bones in Dallas in 2021-22 his team had 238 GF and 246 GA for a -8 and his team was generously described as boring and the only way they could play you was "three yards and a cloud of dust"

Three yards and a cloud of dust is an expression of pride among those that play physical football and enjoy methodically marching down the field. Most use the expression as a pejorative for a dated, dull, and unimaginative style of play.

Dallas Fans didn't liked how he had Dallas playing last season. They replaced Bones and brought in Pete DeBoer and this season and with a very similar line up the Stars could beat you any way you wanted to play and they had 285 goals (almost a staggering 50 more) and also gave up less goals 218 and were +67. So they had a team goals for-against of 75 better under Pete which is almost a goal a game. That is a crazy improvement.

On to Bones time with the Jets I think he did a very good job especially in the first half helping us give up less goals and at the end of the season we have up 225 vs 2021-22 where our Maurice Lowry team gave up 257 so swing of 32 less goals (nice). Bones Jets team scored 5 more goals than MOLO coaching group.

I think Bones was "ok" which is similar to our team which is ok. I don't mind him being around for one more season but we can and need to do better.

This is just all part of the culture of average that Mark and Chevy seem to have settled into. A culture of no accountability with the players that hopefully gets cleaned up this off season via player movement.

I would counter that Bowness is the reason the Stars are who they are today. He over saw the maturation of players like Robertson,Hintz,Oettinger and Heiskainen. They dumped him and those 4 in particular rose to prominence this year and lead that team. Without him and his ability to allow young players to flourish I am not sure they would be the team they are today

With or without Bowness they were always going to score more goals. Because those young guys got a chance to play under him and learn how to play in the NHL. It is funny but it was the older guys that played poorly under him. Benn,Seguin,Radulov,Klingberg. The only guy that really bought into Bones style in Dallas was Pavelski. They Jettisoned Radulov and Klingberg but got a resurgent Benn this year. Seguin still is Seguin and they are stuck with him

I would say that our younger guys are going to be better with Bowness going forward whoever those guys maybe, Perfetti/Lucuis/McGroarty/Lambert/Heinola etc...

I think he is ideal moving forward especially if we go younger. I give him a solid B this year. He got us to the playoffs which is more then I was expecting out this group

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I would counter that Bowness is the reason the Stars are who they are today. He over saw the maturation of players like Robertson,Hintz,Oettinger and Heiskainen. They dumped him and those 4 in particular rose to prominence this year and lead that team. Without him and his ability to allow young players to flourish I am not sure they would be the team they are today

With or without Bowness they were always going to score more goals. Because those young guys got a chance to play under him and learn how to play in the NHL. It is funny but it was the older guys that played poorly under him. Benn,Seguin,Radulov,Klingberg. The only guy that really bought into Bones style in Dallas was Pavelski. They Jettisoned Radulov and Klingberg but got a resurgent Benn this year. Seguin still is Seguin and they are stuck with him

I would say that our younger guys are going to be better with Bowness going forward whoever those guys maybe, Perfetti/Lucuis/McGroarty/Lambert/Heinola etc...

I think he is ideal moving forward especially if we go younger. I give him a solid B this year. He got us to the playoffs which is more then I was expecting out this group

My thoughts on Bones is he needs strong assistants for the more tactical aspects of the game. Our offense went into the shitter when Lauer went down and improved again once he got back.

No issue with him overseeing the integration of our youth. We need our next wave to have a good defensive foundation to their games.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
if I play for the jets I walk in right now and ask for a trade. this player attack is for the locker room ONLY. Never but NEVER on global TV. yes Jets had a stinker of a game, evey team has one once in a while ( or if you wish " shiiiit happens " thats why its called shiiiit )
Your take on Bones reaction and the 'quit by numbers" the leaders, talent players on this team showed last few playoff games is the ideal situation for the franchise to move forward, change for improvement possibility by these players asking for a trade out of town. Only way I see the "management group actually doing something to actually make changes and give more youth an opportunity this next season.
Chevy needs to pretend he is a "Ferrari" and pedal to the metal some decent trades and signings and drafting this June, July. August. Otherwise I feel this old "Chevy driven organization" needs to be traded in or auctioned off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad