The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
It is unlikely that Byram will be paired with Power, and it is unclear who will move the puck in the Samuelsson - Clifton pair, maybe Johnson will also compete for a place. So it will probably be:

Power/Byram - Dahlin
Power/Byram - Joki (or his replacement)
Samuelsson/Johnson - Clifton/Johnson

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018
I would like to see:

- Skinner bought out
- None of our NHL UFA’s brought back
- UPL, Krebs and Bryson re-signed for a combined AAV of approx $7 - $8 million (UPL long-term
- Jokiharju traded
- Generally, that all of the prospects spend next year in Rochester with appropriate call-ups when needed; perhaps one prospect traded in the right deal
- Some picks traded for veteran players, but not our 1st rounders
- The Sabres active in free agency

If they do the above, they will need a top 6 forward, a 2nd pairing right sided D, an entire 4th line, 2 depth players (forward or D) and a backup goalie. They will have $22-$24 million in cap space to do it.

Reactions: Sabresbyswords104

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I would like to see:

- Skinner bought out
- None of our NHL UFA’s brought back
- UPL, Krebs and Bryson re-signed for a combined AAV of approx $7 - $8 million (UPL long-term
- Jokiharju traded
- Generally, that all of the prospects spend next year in Rochester with appropriate call-ups when needed; perhaps one prospect traded in the right deal
- Some picks traded for veteran players, but not our 1st rounders
- The Sabres active in free agency

If they do the above, they will need a top 6 forward, a 2nd pairing right sided D, an entire 4th line, 2 depth players (forward or D) and a backup goalie. They will have $22-$24 million in cap space to do it.
-i think its explored, as is a trade, but is more likely next summer

-hopefully

-more like 5-6 mil total, with upl getting 4-4.5 of that. krebs is getting like 1.25 max on a short prove-it deal. bryson likely getting jost'd, because he isnt worth that qo.

-i predict joker is gone for either like a 2nd+3rd (from utah maybe), or a bottom six vet forward (from pit maybe)

-1 will make it. my bet right now is kulich or savoie. the rest, for sure.

-yes, but I'd include our 1st for the right guy (W.Karlsson, Cirelli)

-eh, I think they will, but for bottom-of-the-roster pieces, not sexy names

Reactions: Matt Ress

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The only thing that makes sense to me is if Mitts said he isn’t re-signing long term under any circumstances. So Adams got what value he could, rather than giving Mitts a deal that walks him to UFA.

I’m trying to come up with excuses/reasons a trade like that might be made, because otherwise it is totally perplexing. Why would someone trade possibly their best performing young center for a completely redundant player?
There is a logic to the trade even though I’m not a huge fan of it.

Leading up to the deadline, the front office was thinking of roster construction for next season and beyond. A decision had to be made on Mitts. Do you extend him and have a third top 6 center paid like one (which is rare)? Or do you trade your most valuable asset to fill a hole elsewhere? Assuming your offered something worth making a trade.

My preference was to extend Mitts because of his versatility. He could play wing just as effectively, so the rarity of “paying three top 6 centers” argument didn’t work in my mind. But they chose to use him to round out the top 4 d-group. I’m skeptical Byram is the answer to that. But I get the logic behind the trade. It was also fair value.

Now we wait to see if they can build an effective top 4 with that group. We still don’t know what we have because Sammy was out. Based on Adams end of season presser we should also see some changes at forward. So we have to wait to see if that happens and what it will look like.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Hard to trade Power when he’s signed to such an overpaid long-term based on projection contract.

Not sure he would get us a ton for being a number 1 pick.

Going to be hard to get a good middle 6 center to sign here.
There would be a long line of GMs trying to acquire him if he became available.

Reactions: Dingo44

Misko

Sep 30, 2020
Of our UFAs I'm actually fine with keeping Girgensons. I don't think he'll be expensive to re-sign and honestly I still like him as a 4th line grinder. He's a good penalty killer and has a lot of heart. But I also wouldn't blame him if he wants to sign elsewhere to finally get a better chance at the postseason.

Let all the other pending UFAs go imo. I think this team's biggest need is a legit 3rd line center, followed by a Middle/Top-6 winger.

Peterka - Thompson - Tuch
Benson - Cozens - Quinn
??? - ??? - Greenway

That's kind of how I see the forward group at the moment. A lot if up in the air though, such as if Peterka's defensive game and progression will merit continued 1st line play, if Benson is envisioned as a permanent 2nd liner as soon as next season, and if Cozens can bounce back to keep his spot as the #2C. Replacing Cozens as the 2nd line C though is going to be very hard through free agency and expensive through trade so I think this team likely runs it back with Thompson/Cozens as the two guys at center and hopes that they both return to their game. I think Benson will be a legit 2nd line winger next season, but realistically combined with whatever winger they bring in I think he, Peterka and that player could be plugged in and out anywhere along the left side in the Top 9.

It's hard to say which players will make it to free agency. Good 3rd line center options would be guys like Lindholm, Blueger, Stephenson, Monahan, but all of those guys aside from Blueger can play 2C and therefore would be expensive if they make it to market. As someone that follows Vancouver, I think Blueger could be a legit #3C with the right supporting cast assuming Vancouver doesn't keep him around, but there definitely could be better players than him out there in the trade market.

I think at D they're more set but I would like to see them probably bring in a more experienced defenceman to mentor our otherwise young core. Wouldn't be opposed to us trading Jokiharju and trying to go for someone like Pesce. Idk if guys like Hronek, Montour or Demelo reach UFA but they'd also be options albeit expensive. I don't see a lot of stanley cup experience pedigree at RD though in this UFA class.

Wildcards would be if guys like Savoie, Kulich, etc, are able to crack the roster next season and immediately fill Middle-6 roles, but I think this is where the team could and should explore the trade market and see if they or other prospects and picks could be utilized to bring in player(s) with more experience to help this team get better faster and learn faster. I think guys like Savoie and Kulich could be great players but they'd be young and green and idk if their skill alone would compensate for their lack of experience which is what this team really needs right now.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't like the mix on defense at the moment - shockingly repeating what I've posted a billion times before, I know. :laugh: . They are short on RHD and yet one of the guys who I think should be on the list to be shuffled out is RHD in Jokiharju.

I was looking back at Ruff's deployments of defensemen in the last couple years in Jersey, didn't really get any feel for things since this season was so in flux due to injuries. His time in NY though... there was a lot of Skjei all three years. I know he's another LHD, just found that interesting. Just filling that away for later.

It's hard to say what they're going to use. It still feels like getting a good takeout option to pair with Power - and it could be Samuelsson based on a small sample two years ago - to mitigate his d-zone issues and free him up more to be aggressive with his pinching in the offensive zone would be how I lean. That then makes Dahlin and Byram a thing again, which was interesting and also filled with chaos.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I don't like the mix on defense at the moment - shockingly repeating what I've posted a billion times before, I know. :laugh: . They are short on RHD and yet one of the guys who I think should be on the list to be shuffled out is RHD in Jokiharju.

I was looking back at Ruff's deployments of defensemen in the last couple years in Jersey, didn't really get any feel for things since this season was so in flux due to injuries. His time in NY though... there was a lot of Skjei all three years. I know he's another LHD, just found that interesting. Just filling that away for later.

It's hard to say what they're going to use. It still feels like getting a good takeout option to pair with Power - and it could be Samuelsson based on a small sample two years ago - to mitigate his d-zone issues and free him up more to be aggressive with his pinching in the offensive zone would be how I lean. That then makes Dahlin and Byram a thing again, which was interesting and also filled with chaos.

I doubt he would be available but I would be all about Cernak.

Only downside is that would be another long term 5 mill + contract on D

Reactions: My Cozen Dylan

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Of our UFAs I'm actually fine with keeping Girgensons. I don't think he'll be expensive to re-sign and honestly I still like him as a 4th line grinder. He's a good penalty killer and has a lot of heart. But I also wouldn't blame him if he wants to sign elsewhere to finally get a better chance at the postseason.

Let all the other pending UFAs go imo. I think this team's biggest need is a legit 3rd line center, followed by a Middle/Top-6 winger.

Peterka - Thompson - Tuch
Benson - Cozens - Quinn
??? - ??? - Greenway

That's kind of how I see the forward group at the moment. A lot if up in the air though, such as if Peterka's defensive game and progression will merit continued 1st line play, if Benson is envisioned as a permanent 2nd liner as soon as next season, and if Cozens can bounce back to keep his spot as the #2C. Replacing Cozens as the 2nd line C though is going to be very hard through free agency and expensive through trade so I think this team likely runs it back with Thompson/Cozens as the two guys at center and hopes that they both return to their game. I think Benson will be a legit 2nd line winger next season, but realistically combined with whatever winger they bring in I think he, Peterka and that player could be plugged in and out anywhere along the left side in the Top 9.

It's hard to say which players will make it to free agency. Good 3rd line center options would be guys like Lindholm, Blueger, Stephenson, Monahan, but all of those guys aside from Blueger can play 2C and therefore would be expensive if they make it to market. As someone that follows Vancouver, I think Blueger could be a legit #3C with the right supporting cast assuming Vancouver doesn't keep him around, but there definitely could be better players than him out there in the trade market.

I think at D they're more set but I would like to see them probably bring in a more experienced defenceman to mentor our otherwise young core. Wouldn't be opposed to us trading Jokiharju and trying to go for someone like Pesce. Idk if guys like Hronek, Montour or Demelo reach UFA but they'd also be options albeit expensive. I don't see a lot of stanley cup experience pedigree at RD though in this UFA class.

Wildcards would be if guys like Savoie, Kulich, etc, are able to crack the roster next season and immediately fill Middle-6 roles, but I think this is where the team could and should explore the trade market and see if they or other prospects and picks could be utilized to bring in player(s) with more experience to help this team get better faster and learn faster. I think guys like Savoie and Kulich could be great players but they'd be young and green and idk if their skill alone would compensate for their lack of experience which is what this team really needs right now.

Signing UFA centers seems like an exercise in futility. To draw one with no ties to WNY or the team in general is likely to cost more money and we can extrapolate that there will be other teams already viewed as contenders who will likely be favored destinations. So that means either pay too much or get someone who is further from the most favorable skillset. Trade seems like a better option there.

Signing energy guys though? Finding some guys for that identity Adams spoke about, the more "FU" guys Cozens said they lacked all the way back in December seems a bit easier. But do they have the pro scouts to turn up a guy who isn't already fully established? Can they find a Dakota Joshua before Joshua has become the Joshua about to cash in on his season and playoffs? It's like Goodrow and Coleman coming off their playoff performances in Tampa and getting paid... and maybe not being full value on those deals now.

The Sabres have such a full cupboard, they can afford to use some draft picks to shop for sure this summer, even 11OA IMO.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I doubt he would be available but I would be all about Cernak.

Only downside is that would be another long term 5 mill + contract on D

I think there was a Cernak and Jeannot for 11OA type deal on the Trade Board that didn't immediately get murdered by Tampa fans. Jeannot in his prove it year would probably be fired up to perform so even if it's just for this season, it adds rumble and some fisticuffs to the forwards. And Cernak is the sort of RHD dirtbag they need to up their level to playoff worthy.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
I think there was a Cernak and Jeannot for 11OA type deal on the Trade Board that didn't immediately get murdered by Tampa fans. Jeannot in his prove it year would probably be fired up to perform so even if it's just for this season, it adds rumble and some fisticuffs to the forwards. And Cernak is the sort of RHD dirtbag they need to up their level to playoff worthy.

It feels like we've been pining for Cirelli and Cernak for years but Tampa always finds a way to work the cap. Would love to get either one of then still.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It feels like we've been pining for Cirelli and Cernak for years but Tampa always finds a way to work the cap. Would love to get either one of then still.

Yep. I'm not nearly as interested in Cirelli at his cap hit. I wouldn't mind if they tried to get Colton out of the Avs since he went for just a 2nd last summer.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

What value do you put on Cernak alone?

I think 11th overall is too much.

I was thinking

11th overall and Joker

For

Cernak and Jeannot
And a draft pick coming back maybe a 2nd or 3rd?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I was thinking

11th overall and Joker

For

Cernak and Jeannot

Your proposal seems solid. I don't know if Tampa would want more because it's a divisional thing or not - they seem just as likely to deal with anyone if they think the value is there.

Reactions: Beerz

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia

I was thinking

11th overall and Joker

For

Cernak and Jeannot
Makes you wonder about Jeannot. Would Tampa be looking for some real compensation because of the price they paid or see him as an over paid goon. I guess a package deal is the easiest way to not have to face that conundrum.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Makes you wonder about Jeannot. Would Tampa be looking for some real compensation because of the price they paid or see him as an over paid goon. I guess a package deal is the easiest way to not have to face that conundrum.

I would say it would depend if they want a cheaper option in his spot or not in order to re-sign Stammer. If they don't then they probably aren't trading him at all. If they do they really have no justification to asking for much based on his results.

Reactions: Matt Ress

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I would say it would depend if they want a cheaper option in his spot or not in order to re-sign Stammer. If they don't then they probably aren't trading him at all. If they do they really have no justification to asking for much based on his results.
Makes sense. But GMs egos tho

I loved TJ two years ago like everyone else. But I don't know if he'll ever hit 40 pts again. Eh I'd still like him and Cernak on the Sabres

Reactions: Beerz

dickiedunnwrotethis

It's gotta be true.
May 16, 2009
saskatoon
Would the Panthers be a target? Specifically thinking of Lundell (RFA) to fill the 3C hole. He wouldn't be addressing our need for physicality, but his defensive awareness and hockey sense would sorely be welcome. Normally I think any team would be loathe to trade someone like him, but they are tight against the cap and need to sign some big pieces: Reinhart and Montour this year, Bennett and Verhaeghe next year. They also have no first round picks for the next two years. Would this year's first and a near ready winger prospect get it done on draft day? Ill-advised?

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Would the Panthers be a target? Specifically thinking of Lundell (RFA) to fill the 3C hole. He wouldn't be addressing our need for physicality, but his defensive awareness and hockey sense would sorely be welcome. Normally I think any team would be loathe to trade someone like him, but they are tight against the cap and need to sign some big pieces: Reinhart and Montour this year, Bennett and Verhaeghe next year. They also have no first round picks for the next two years. Would this year's first and a near ready winger prospect get it done on draft day? Ill-advised?
He'd be one of the last pieces they'd think about moving as he's cost controlled. He'll get a bridge while they try to finagle Reinhart's contract. Bennett is the more interesting target as they'll need to prognosticate whether his demands can fit without needing to prune more pieces

Misko

Sep 30, 2020
Signing UFA centers seems like an exercise in futility. To draw one with no ties to WNY or the team in general is likely to cost more money and we can extrapolate that there will be other teams already viewed as contenders who will likely be favored destinations. So that means either pay too much or get someone who is further from the most favorable skillset. Trade seems like a better option there.

Signing energy guys though? Finding some guys for that identity Adams spoke about, the more "FU" guys Cozens said they lacked all the way back in December seems a bit easier. But do they have the pro scouts to turn up a guy who isn't already fully established? Can they find a Dakota Joshua before Joshua has become the Joshua about to cash in on his season and playoffs? It's like Goodrow and Coleman coming off their playoff performances in Tampa and getting paid... and maybe not being full value on those deals now.

The Sabres have such a full cupboard, they can afford to use some draft picks to shop for sure this summer, even 11OA IMO.
11th oa this year should definitely be in play. If this team is serious about making the playoffs starting next year and being a good team, their future 1sts wont be this high anymore, meaning the current 11th oa is potentially their best asset. Adam's would be a fool if he doesnt try to explore serious trade options with that pick, maybe with other picks or specs attached, to trade for an actual game changing piece while he can.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad