Coach Discussion: Rick Bowness

How would you grade Rick Bowness so far at the 1/4 mark?

• A- to A+

Votes: 147 68.4%
  • B- to B+

Votes: 46 21.4%
  • C- to C+

Votes: 17 7.9%
  • D- to D+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F

Votes: 5 2.3%

• Total voters

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
A.

The team defense is better, commitment to defense is better, and the players look more engaged. Scheifele looks so much more engaged.

Also Morrissey is clearly feeding off the words from Bowness. Had them as a playoff team if everything went well, but I figured 7th or 8th in the conference as they figured out how to play defense.

If you told me in September they'd be without Ehlers for most of the season so far, add no top 6 F's of note and be competing for tops in the west I'd have thought you were high.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Can't not give an A

I'm trying to decide of I should make this thread or the positivity thread the place to plant my "I Told You So" flag about all the things I said over the summer (and I'm not alone, there was a decent sized handful of us). Mainly my message was "this is a good roster, let's see what they do under a new coach before we roast chevy for standing pat".

Anyway, there is lots of crow to be cooked and eaten. Conversely, this season can still go sideways. But so far, so f***ing good

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I'm giving him a B+ simply because the PP isn't where it needs to be yet, and there are still a couple of player usage hiccups.

Overall of course I'm delighted with the results so far and will be very interested to see what this team is capable of when all the systems are fully committed to muscle memory.

He's gotta be an early Jack Adam's candidate, which he will have to write a thank you note to Pomo for if he wins.

pictman

Mar 7, 2012
pictish hills
I liked the hiring right off the bat. I thought he might be the the next best thing to Totz. BUT I also thought there was no way this roster would have any success without moving Wheeler and probably Scheif. I thought Bones would have to be a Jack Adam's candidate to turn the team and those 2 around. He may be and its a solid A+ from me. I didn't think I'd see a defensively responsible Scheif and a rejuvenated Wheeler in a Jets jersey.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
When he was hired I was at a paradox between wow, we got a recent Stanley Cup Finalist and why are we the only ones who want him as a head coach?

He’s been great, you can really see it in how the bottom 6 plays. It looks like they have a strategy that they execute every time they are on the ice.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
B+ / A- for me -- but then I've also been a split-grade fan.

Straightshooter, seems to know how to read the room well, still a few wrinkles to work out but he's had an oddball season with the Covid layoff so plenty of time to iron those wrinkles out yet.

Overall though, I'm a believer in the Bowness bonus!

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
I don't know how you don't give him at least an A. The team is firing on all cylinders and dramatically exceeding expectations at this stage in the season. Several players are doing things they've never done before (in the bottom 6) or things they haven't done in a long time (top 6).

Like what more could anyone be expecting of Bowness? He has delivered everything we could have asked for and then some, at least to this point. And I say this as someone who expected very little from him at the outset... I couldn't have imagined this scenario in my wildest dreams. I have to give credit where it's due.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
How do you not give Bones an A or A+ ?

Memories are short, but go back to threads over the summer, everyone was losing their minds over the loss of Copp and Stastny and "running it back" with almost the exact same roster minus them. Remember the final record of our team WITH those two? Almost everyone was saying Jets would be basement dwellers running it back with this roster.

Now add in the fact we've been without Ehlers for all but two games, and a schedule that's been tougher than last year so far.

We're not only not basement dwellers, we're pretty comfortably in 2nd place in the division with games in hand. Jets, who have had putrid defence for years, are playing good defence with the same roster. This is clearly coaching.

PP is rather "meh" but perfection is impossible. Bones has improved this team in almost every way and is getting results.

moosehead81

Jan 7, 2012
Great White North
I like and liked Paul Maurice but if all it took to get this team firing properly was a new coach and philosophy of play, then maybe the GM should have pulled the plug earlier before Maurice himself even saw the problem. Early yet but Jets look really good to me and haven’t missed a step even with the injury to the Dane and others.

Reactions: braunm

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
This has been quite the season so far. I was hoping Bones would come in and get them to play a little tighter and we'd be on the bubble with a chance to make the playoffs.

But so far we've seen everyone chipping in defensively, the Dmen activating and getting rewarded for it and Helle returning to form. So far Bones has had a very positive effect on this group.

Helle is now 4th in Wins, 3rd in SV%, 4th in GAA and 1st in shutouts. Morrissey is 2nd in defencemen scoring and Perfetti is 2nd in rookie scoring. Connor, Dubois and Scheif are all on pace for 30+ goals.

Plus we still have Ehlers on the IR.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
id say a B+. Exceeding expectations for sure. There are a couple of new hires on teams ahead of us so id reserve them for the As and Bowness is right behind.

Last edited:
Reactions: surixon

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Impossible to rate IMO.

Is this a "new coach effect" or is it legitimate bump up in quality.

I'm inclined to believe the latter, but I've seen the former too many times in too many sports to assume.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad