Coach Discussion: Rick Bowness

How would you grade Rick Bowness so far at the 1/4 mark?

• A- to A+

Votes: 147 68.4%
  • B- to B+

Votes: 46 21.4%
  • C- to C+

Votes: 17 7.9%
  • D- to D+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F

Votes: 5 2.3%

• Total voters

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
1706222989804.png

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Great Bowness interview on 32 thoughts today.

Pretty much laid out his philosophy with regards to icetime this season and a discussion about Perfetti's icetime, would be of interest in particluar to @surixon. Said that when he was with Dallas he was very hard on Robertson and Hintz whereas he uses a "different tone" with Cole.

Also an interesting tidbit that apparently last season 2 Jets players got into to in the locker room over one player extending his shifts on the ice. Would love to know the players involved.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Pretty much laid out his philosophy with regards to icetime this season and a discussion about Perfetti's icetime, would be of interest in particluar to @surixon. Said that when he was with Dallas he was very hard on Robertson and Hintz whereas he uses a "different tone" with Cole.

Also an interesting tidbit that apparently last season 2 Jets players got into to in the locker room over one player extending his shifts on the ice. Would love to know the players involved.

I'll have to give it a listen when I have a chance.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Ok I listened to both and yeah playing the first and third lines a lot when they were going is fine. I also have never had an issue with his ice time in games where the team can't stay out of the box. It goes without saying that he'll play less when we are spending too much time killing penalties. I'm not so sure I agree with the comment on Barron. I mean why aren't the other fourth liners out there in those situations if your rationale is about making them feel apart of it. I liked his last year explanation about wanting size out to xloae out games better.

I wish they would have been more specific on why he isn't playing in specific offensive situations like 3 on 3.

I kind of wish he didn't talk about being hard on the Dallas players and being different with Cole. It invited the whole if he can he take it question by our media.

On other comments:

Still didn't care for his talk about the PP. Still seems to want to wait until he has everyone back for the PP and thinks that will solve it.

Pretty much stated Dubois wanting out caused issues in the room. By the tone of his voice he isn't sad to see him go.

Last edited:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Probably Schmidt giving JMo shit cuz he's cutting into his ice time.......

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

No shocker on the ice time philosophy - and the way this team is constructed, and how they have been successful with this build, and how the lines are rolled (and their impact), it's hard to argue. And even harder to find ways to get everyone involved to the point where they are all happy. I don't think there is an easy answer in providing everyone with the minutes they want and at the same time, manage the minutes so that you are not breaking what is working.

There wasn't much in that interview that leaves me scratching my head - I think he's getting it done and he's allowing some insight into how he needs to work with players, build trust, and get them all moving in the same direction - and IMO, he's done a hell of a job.

So, nice interview - and fairly revealing when you consider how hard it is to get these guys to discuss some of the challenges a coach works through.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

My money's on that Ehlers padding out his 12 mins with an extra carry or two and the then-Captain coming down righteously hard.

Also waiting on the Angriest Wild Fan to fasten onto that "different tone" for yet another told-ya-so chapter in the long-running saga of Snowflake Cole Perfetti and Lyin' Ryan Hartperson.

Will give it a listen. Bowness is a fun interview. I can run it in the background as I catch up on the last 18 Jets games.

Reactions: ps241

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I thought Rick handled the interview well. Pretty strait shooter that is careful but he ducks way less and uses almost zero hockey cliques.

The thing that strikes me most is if you didn’t know you would never guess by his tone that this guy is crowding 70 years old. I guess some guys just have a passion that doesn’t wain with age.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
annoying that this poll is still visible :laugh:

wish we could redo this poll now that we're in the halfway part of his 2nd year instead 1/4 through his 1st season.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013

Blake and Pierre

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Honestly I still have moments when my mind is blown that Rick Bowness is the coach of the Jets.

It really does bring back some extremely fond memories of my youth.

I was always so naive about the Jets chances back then, I thought they could win the cup every year. That hope still lives in me now, but with a measure of realistic expectations that come wth experience.

If Rick won a cup here, I might be happier for him than even myself.

Having a man like that as our head coach fills me with absolute pride.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad