RD Adam Boqvist, London Knights - 8th overall 2018

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I agree. If his comments are perceived to be coming from a guy with an ax to grind rather than dispassionate concern they are more easily dismissed.
More easily dismissed than... what? The nothing of the past?

I get the perception. That it is a bad view, but so what if he bothers some people who view him that way? Are those people who were or gonna make some change to how hockey culture treats concussions? Not likely.

He's trying to get someone to answer for transparency or be accountable to truth. Being some passive non bad example going after change has done nothing to make hockey culture open up so far.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
More easily dismissed than... what? The nothing of the past?

I get the perception. That it is a bad view, but so what if he bothers some people who view him that way? Are those people who were or gonna make some change to how hockey culture treats concussions? Not likely.

He's trying to get someone to answer for transparency or be accountable to truth. Being some passive non bad example going after change has done nothing to make hockey culture open up so far.

I understand your point that it matters little if it rubbed me the wrong way - I'm just a guy on a message board who isn't likely to do anything about concussion problems regardless if he said it in a way that didn't rub me the wrong way. Still think the negative tone of the message is not the most effective way to get the message across though.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Probably good to keep in mind that Carcillo himself suffers from past head trauma and that coupled with his inherent personality would lead to a more aggressive stance when it comes to concussion awareness. Or in other words ... he has a short fuse and has lost any filters he may have had in the past.
The sooner the NHL wises up to the whole concussion issue the better. Players who target other player's heads should be given much longer suspensions. The whole " gladiator " aspect of the sport does need to go the way of .. well Rome!

Reactions: x Tame Impala

dk2k

recovering cynic
Jul 5, 2017
Probably good to keep in mind that Carcillo himself suffers from past head trauma and that coupled with his inherent personality would lead to a more aggressive stance when it comes to concussion awareness. Or in other words ... he has a short fuse and has lost any filters he may have had in the past.
The sooner the NHL wises up to the whole concussion issue the better. Players who target other player's heads should be given much longer suspensions. The whole " gladiator " aspect of the sport does need to go the way of .. well Rome!
It’s probably also good to keep in mind that Carcillo handed out way more than his fair share of head trauma, and never gave a shit about it while teams were willing to pay him for it.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Carbomb comes of as a poster that turns everything into the one axe he has to grind, tbqh.

*prospect suffers an injury in Canada*
DID THE MISERABLE BLACKHAWKS DOCTORS LOOK AT HIM?!?!

And I say that as someone that has criticized the medical staff in the past.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
It’s the emotion behind it. You can’t move something forward with all of that emotion, makes you see things that really aren’t there.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Carcillo: Stan Bowman saved my life

Also Carcillo: Chicago is a terrible organization
I'm all for hockey taking concussions more seriously. However, concussions is a NHL issue ... not just Chicago specific. This is where Carrillo needs to choose his words carefully. He's not helping his cause by making it organization specific. It's a NHL cultural issue. He needs to understand this is not just about him.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Its honestly a sports issue. Players feel pressure to “be tough” and play through injuries in every sport.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChiHawks10

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Its honestly a sports issue. Players feel pressure to “be tough” and play through injuries.
Yes. I can tell you that getting a concussion was a badge of honor in high level football. I know I received several concussions in college and the trainer just put me back in the game. Once I got clobbered and didn't remember much of it until I was taking much pads off after practice.

If I knew what I knew now ... I would have been much more careful. I thought the helmet protected the brain. Little did I know the helmet was actually a blunt force weapon.

NHL players still wear buckets as helmets compared to other sports. They don't even make it mandatory to have tight fitting chin straps ... or mouth guards. The NHL does not take concussions seriously. The NFL is forced because of lawsuits.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Yes. I can tell you that getting a concussion was a badge of honor in high level football. I know I received several concussions in college and the trainer just put me back in the game. Once I got clobbered and didn't remember much of it until I was taking much pads off after practice.

If I knew what I knew now ... I would have been much more careful. I thought the helmet protected the brain. Little did I know the helmet was actually a blunt force weapon.

NHL players still wear buckets as helmets compared to other sports. They don't even make it mandatory to have tight fitting chin straps ... or mouth guards. The NHL does not take concussions seriously. The NFL is forced because of lawsuits.

Exactly. At this point, if the NHL puts in new rules, that will be used against them in the lawsuits. I think they would like to do something with the helmets and chin straps but are forced into a defensive position now.

I mean, I kind of empathize with them because what’s going to stop boxers and fighters from doing the same? You never told us if we beat each we would suffer side effects. There should be some accountability on the participants to educate themselves on the risks.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
It’s probably also good to keep in mind that Carcillo handed out way more than his fair share of head trauma, and never gave a **** about it while teams were willing to pay him for it.
So what does that mean? So he made his living by playing on the edge and now he's paying for it and is upset and trying to be a voice for rectification. It isn't always pretty. I'm not condoning Carcillo's method but it is what it is and concussions are an issue in hockey and the sooner the NHL pays serious attention to it and amends the way the game is played to best address it the better. Human's weren't designed to move through space at the speeds hockey players skate and come to abrupt stops via the boards or a check or a fist. The brain hits the skull and there are repercussions ... We are the fans ... we are the people who stand up and cheer when a big check is given or a fight ensues. We demand to be entertained but I do feel a change is inevitable in sports as the law suits will in due time ensure.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Bouchard is expected to be sent back to London in the next few days

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Bouchard is expected to be sent back to London in the next few days

Formenton has been sent to London too apparently.

Good thing for the team and I think Boqvist will benefit also.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Most likely it will but I’d rather have him in good team than mediocre which Knights is without Formenton and Bouchard.
I agree as well. this will help take some pressure off of Boqvist and I would imagine London goes back to Regula and Bouchard as their top pair at some point soon, and put Boqvist on the 2nd pair but #1 power play unit.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Most likely it will but I’d rather have him in good team than mediocre which Knights is without Formenton and Bouchard.

I doubt it will.

Interesting thing is to compare Bouchard's production and Boqvist's production as Bouchard is basically a year older than Boqvist.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Not playing for London today(Nov. 4th) ...again...

The "minor injury"appears to be more serious than Stan was letting on...

Bouchard was in the London lineup today for the first time since being sent back ...scored the first goal of the game..first period over..London leads Kitchener 1-0.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well how "minor" could it be then?

Obviously a problem enough not to let him back in the lineup since the injury. .Told us at first they were keeping him outcast a precaution ..given his concussion history that had ominous implication...Powers then reported that Stan told him it was something "monor"...Whatever it is London has said nothing official about it and he has missed all the games since he incurred the hit..

Why the secrecy?Hawks told us they had a new policy to reveal the exact nature of injury problems. ..But London may not have such a new policy ..So we fans are left to speculate.

I have no information...just suing whatever the problem is London does not feel he is healthy enough to play .

It could be as "minor" as a bad bruise ..or it could be something a lot more serious. IT is infuriating not to get the true info ..but we are still left in the dark about his health status.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad