RD Adam Boqvist, London Knights - 8th overall 2018

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002

Ranked #11 by HOCKEYPROSPECT.COM
Ranked #7 by FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS
Ranked #9 by ISS HOCKEY
Ranked #9 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
Ranked #2 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (EU Skaters)
Ranked #10 by TSN/McKenzie

The #2 player that I figured would draw enough conversations on as being ranked too low. I will say this again, this kid is going to drop at the draft compared to where he is ranked. The drop might not be Cam Fowler level, but I have a very hard time seeing a team take this kid in the top 6-7 with his concussion issues, his absolute lack of defensive awareness and positioning, and an offensive year that was not as good as expected. Now, the speed and IQ is there. No damn doubt about it, and for another smurf the kid has a very powerful shot, so you know he has strength. He seems to think it will take himself 2-3 years to get to a point of being ready to play in the NHL or at least coming over it seems, if an NHL team can wait knowing he needs to work on some things, then maybe he still goes that high. Concussions are no joke, and when you are getting them already despite going to be playing against stronger, faster, tougher competition scares the hell out of me. He either isn't good at taking hits or isn't good at evading them, both are problems. I have no idea where this kid goes in the draft, he is a pure wild card for me right now as a team can just love the skillset and say **** it we ride and die with him until he is ready, or some teams are worried about his health and how long it might take to get him here and go with other names... -- AmericanDream

Boqvist is a highly skilled defenseman who I worry might have issue translating to the pro level. He'll amaze you one shift with his ability to create open ice for himself (and his stellar shot), and then overestimate himself the next by instigating a physical battle he can't win at his size. -- Teemu

Boqvist started off his draft season with one of the best Ivan Hlinka performances I’ve seen from a defenseman. He struggled at times at the pro level, but did quite well versus his peer group and projects very well due to his high-end skill set. His hands and IQ all get very high grades. He’s very skilled and creative with the puck, on top of displaying top-level, if not elite, vision. He also has great offensive instincts and knows how to jump into the attack and create chances. Boqvist made some of the best passes and most creative plays I saw from any prospect at any level this season. What I love about him is his attacking mindset. He’s always looking to jump up and make a play, looking for opportunities and wants to make a difference in the game. He attacks like a soccer player who will use one touch passes as a way to open seams to get a through pass. Boqvist skates well with the ability to lead a rush and he closes his gaps well defensively, but his skating isn’t as much of a standout trait as his brain. His shot from the point is quite good as well and he’s very skilled at getting it through traffic, showing high shot generation numbers everywhere he goes. On defense, he’s small and not that physical. I’ve seen him make stops effectively versus players his age — not at an elite level, but more than passable. Versus men he’s struggled to win battles as a small, slight player. -- Corey Pronman

This draft will be marked with an unprecedented number of highly sought after skilled attacking defensemen who are average or under-sized with little physicality. This player compensates for it with terrific hands and ability to push the pace, doing a decent job in his own end using his skill set. In the Swedish junior league, Boqvist showcased a nice shot, high end speed, and agility. He may very well be the top finesse and fine-edge-skating defenseman in the draft, displaying great balance and lateral mobility. He is lightning fast and has great vision. He distributes the puck unselfishly and he jumps in on the attack -- sometimes leading it. He opens up and delivers a very accurate one timer. As a slight, smaller player, he gets overtaken, losing puck battles to the bigger players. Does show good vision in both ends but it is a bigger challenge in his own end. His fast feet help negate some of his problems in the defensive zone, but it is difficult to ignore his defensive zone positioning issues. As a lightweight anchor, he needs to fill out, get stronger, and build his defensive game. Another right handed shooting mobile defenseman. -- Bill Plazcek

Taking everything into account, it’s no wonder why scouts have labelled Adam Boqvist as the riskiest bet in the consensus top-10. He owns the elite offensive attributes to become the second-best defenceman after Rasmus Dahlin, though his underwhelming junior production, size and concussion history give teams reason to pause. Boqvist is improving in his own end much like Quinn Hughes did, but the former remains much further away because of his late birthday and thus harder to project. We’re wary of all these concerns, which is why he’s fallen a lot lower in our rankings relative to the industry consensus. Having said that, if Boqvist can silence the critics and work on his weaknesses, he’ll make every team who passes up on him after the top-4 look like fools. -- Harman Dayal

By now, I have a pretty good feel for where Boqvist is at in his development and the conclusions I’ve come exist in two parts:
  1. He is unquestionably one of the most talented puck handlers and creators in this class — at forward or defence — off the rush. He’s a brilliant distributor and a fabulous skater who takes a lot of risks and generates a ton offensively as a result.
  2. He’s also still got a long way to go defensively, and that makes him more of a long-term project than a lot of the other high-end defenders in this class, and also more of a risk-reward proposition at the draft. He’s easily pushed around and he’s tentative in his engages, which results in a lot of lost battles.
Still, even if there is bust potential, the former is still worth betting on because there’s huge upside to his game and his first few steps allow him to create separation from forecheckers and exit the defensive zone with ease. He’s also got one of the better shots among the defencemen in the class (both in accuracy and in power, which he generates with technique and a nifty low-kick release rather than pure strength), and isn’t afraid to jump into the high slot to use it. -- Scott Wheeler

Last edited:

elvisisalive

Feb 20, 2007
Could have picked Dobson, someone who could have turned into a true number 1 D , instead they took a flashy one trick pony.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
He'll be a good player.

When Kane and Toews are 34.

He'll be a great, impact player when they're 36 or older.

elvisisalive

Feb 20, 2007
Could have picked Dobson, someone who could have turned into a true number 1 D , instead they took a flashy one trick pony. islanders took him, the tsn guys are saying he is the 2nd best D in the draft, and the Hawks walked away from him

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Could have picked Dobson, someone who could have turned into a true number 1 D , instead they took a flashy one trick pony. islanders took him, the tsn guys are saying he is the 2nd best D in the draft, and the Hawks walked away from him

You can type this as much as you want but it is not really accurate.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
If the Hawks hit big time on two of Jokiharu, Forsling, Boqvist, or Mitchell, we will be laughing. If they hit big time on 1 it's still a huge win.

elvisisalive

Feb 20, 2007
You can type this as much as you want but it is not really accurate.
Dobson can do much of what he can, but he cant do much of what Dobson can. we need someone to take over from Keith, we could have done that, but Bowman chose not to. now we have a smaller D with high offensive upside, and thats a good thing, but Dobson is the better overall player, he will be able to play 25 first pairing minutes. Teams with that kind of player have a huge advantage. this is going to be so interesting going forward watching all these D drafted 12th or earlier as they develop over the next few years

Reactions: Dust Bucket

elvisisalive

Feb 20, 2007
I don't think very many expect Dobson to be a future #1D. He's a high-floor guy, not a high-ceiling guy.
The TSN guys said he was the 2nd best D in the draft, and look at him as a first pairing player . if you watched him at the memorial cup, the best D in the tournament , you'd see what they see in him

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Dobson can do much of what he can, but he cant do much of what Dobson can. we need someone to take over from Keith, we could have done that, but Bowman chose not to. now we have a smaller D with high offensive upside, and thats a good thing, but Dobson is the better overall player, he will be able to play 25 first pairing minutes. Teams with that kind of player have a huge advantage. this is going to be so interesting going forward watching all these D drafted 12th or earlier as they develop over the next few years
Boqvist can do stuff Dobson can't do as well. Boqvist can learn the defensive side. And I believe Boqvist is actually bigger than Keith was on his draft day.

Blackhawk93

May 2, 2018
I really like this pick. I’d like to think they looked back on how much a top 5 dman in Keith really helped the organization, and they drafted the guy who has the best shot at achieving that.

I’m not a fan of picking defensemen who are more NHL ready but just end up being okay top 4 in the league. I want the chance to get the top 5 dman in the league and I think Bovqvist has that chance.

And just FYI, Keith was thought to be a terrible pick even for a second rounder. Gotta give these things time.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

If both hit their ceiling Boqvist is the better player. Dobson is a good prospect but the ceiling is lower.

I would have taken either.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Dobson was my guy but I like the clear direction of their bpa choice clearly not worried if it's not an immediate pick. I never like that motivation of soon to play for a pick, so many near pro ready labelled guys, I think McNeil was even called that, I've seen be the biggest bust. (That carries to nhl & nfl)

I've seen people joke another smallish Swede drafted by Stan/Kelley while they've drafted both a lot of Swedes and a lot of small D. Norrell is the only undersized Swedish D I can think of.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Just don’t love it. He’s far away. Struggled in the SEL. If you wanted a project, I felt Kravtsov had more upside. Would have loved to move back and get Denisenko. I think Boqvist is 3 years out.

elvisisalive

Feb 20, 2007
If both hit their ceiling Boqvist is the better player. Dobson is a good prospect but the ceiling is lower.

I would have taken either.

not by my metrics. though I understand why you feel that way. the thing Is, to me, Dobson has the better chance of reaching his ceiling, and thats a big consideration in the room when the back and forths start flying

Reactions: BobbyJet

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
My only concern with Boqvist is his concussion history ... I really just shy away from that especially with a smaller player who's head is so readily available to any and all shoulders and elbows.
He may be an elite, high ceiling player but I imagine he has a higher potential for a shorter career due to concussions.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
not by my metrics. though I understand why you feel that way. the thing Is, to me, Dobson has the better chance of reaching his ceiling, and thats a big consideration in the room when the back and forths start flying

Considering his ceiling is lower I guess. If Boqvist hits we have a superstar. Dobson is a step below.

elvisisalive

Feb 20, 2007
Considering his ceiling is lower I guess. If Boqvist hits we have a superstar. Dobson is a step below.
its a big if, with Dobson, its not, thats a big consideration, ive been in that room, and when asked, I would have argued for Dobson, I really hope the player we got hits his ceiling, or close to it, he's dynamic offensively, im not against him in any way, just prefer another player

Reactions: BobbyJet

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
its a big if, with Dobson, its not, thats a big consideration, ive been in that room, and when asked, I would have argued for Dobson, I really hope the player we got hits his ceiling, or close to it, he's dynamic offensively, im not against him in any way, just prefer another player

The draft room? for who?

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Only issue I have with this pick is how long it might take to turn into anything.

But let me remind all of you that Boqvist is one of the youngest guys in this draft. Jokiharju was one of the youngest guys last year and had a huge year for himself. That shit can easily happen when your drafting a 17yo.

elvisisalive

Feb 20, 2007
The draft room? for who?
I scouted for a few years for an nhl team/ I also scouted for the Q. for those watching the draft, the senior scout for the LA Kings,who announced their pick, was the first person to hire me, he was the GM for Drummondville at the time

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I scouted for a few years for an nhl team/ I also scouted for the Q. for those watching the draft, the senior scout for the LA Kings,who announced their pick, was the first person to hire me, he was the GM for Drummondville at the time

Interesting. Thanks for sharing (no snark intended).

Why did you stop?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad