Euro: R16: Iceland vs. England, 6/27/2016

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Sigthórsson sounds in german like Siegtorson.

Siegtor=game winning goal

so Sigthórsson is the game winning goal's son. :laugh:

That's an interested coincidence! Although Sigþór in Icelandic doesn't really sound like Siegtor:

The "s" is pronounced like s, not like z.
The "g" is pronounced in a way we don't really have in English or German. Basically a voiced version of German "ch". Because it comes at the end of a syllable in this Icelandic name, it would almost sound silent.
The "th" is actually the Icelandic letter "þ", which is pronounced like "th" in English "thanks".

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I would like to credit Iceland for not playing a cynical match, for not playing for a draw, but going for it and having the gusto to do that throughout. The Iceland counters were at times breathtaking and finishing two of them admirably.

This is not an unheralded team advancing on a 0-0 shootout win. This is scoring 2 goals from play in a knockout stage.

This is coming from behind a goal down (on a penalty) to do that.

:handclap:

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Coaching is not comparable really. DD has a winning pedigree, as much as he frustrates me.
Defense is totally comparable and I could see us surrendering the same goals as England today.
Lack of imagination is also a big forte for both teams so far in the tournament.

I expect a rough game indeed. And Iceland could very well surprise. But please don't compare Roy and DD.:rant:

Difference on defense is that you have Lloris instead of Hart. I'm not too worried for France against Iceland :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad