Euro: R16: Iceland vs. England, 6/27/2016

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
There's just so many things that were wrong today.

Sterling starting, Waiting until the 86th or 87th minute to bring on Rashford, Rooney staying on until then despite having one of the worst games of his life, Joe Hart being Joe Hart, Harry Kane taking free kicks and booting the ball 20 yards past the goal or 10 yards wide.

Just all around hilarious stuff.

I noticed this during their first game against Russia....they seriously never took him off corners after all that? Dude was BRUTAL at them. :laugh:

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Coaching is not comparable really. DD has a winning pedigree, as much as he frustrates me.
Defense is totally comparable and I could see us surrendering the same goals as England today.
Lack of imagination is also a big forte for both teams so far in the tournament.

I expect a rough game indeed. And Iceland could very well surprise. But please don't compare Roy and DD.:rant:

Lloris >>> Hart, though.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Only reason England is contantly pushed as a favorite is the English speaking press . In truth England had been a middling team for ages now. The early 90's was the last time the English national team was an actual threat in tournaments . The team hasn't been better than Quarter-finals since the 1996 Euros .

And even then we were at home....

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX
The fact that Harry Kane was the one taking kicks should be enough to fire Hodgson immediately.

I wish America gave the same respect to the game that Iceland does. Can you imagine how good we'd be if we gave the sport the infrastructure it deserves here? I"m so proud for Iceland. What a great tournament for them!

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
True, individually I think we're better than England, in midfield especially. But we've lacked offensive imagination in this tournament. And our D has been shaky (though not having Rami will help).

skillhockey

Feb 26, 2013
I noticed this during their first game against Russia....they seriously never took him off corners after all that? Dude was BRUTAL at them. :laugh:

well kicking deadball is what english known for but in this game, not even for that.

Ivan94

Jun 1, 2013
Germany
Sigthórsson sounds in german like Siegtorson.

Siegtor=game winning goal

so Sigthórsson is the game winning goal's son. :laugh:

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
(...) Iceland looks a bit like they could be the Greece of this tournament. Let's not kid ourselves, it's not like that Greek team really had better quality. The Icelanders work hard and work smart, it's not gonna be easy for France to beat them.
Greece had much more distinguished players in 2004. But Iceland has improved over the last year and was the best team of pot 5 (out of 6) in qualification. Both Albania and Northern Ireland, who also qualified, were seeded lower.

Anyway, after playing Albania and Ireland, France seems to be well-prepared for Iceland. Unlike England, they have been quite convincing already.

Gruß,
BSHH

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Roy Hodgson is the highest paid coach at the Euro 2016, possibly in international soccer.

Meanwhile, one of Iceland's coach is a dentist.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Harry Kane taking free kicks and corners makes no sense. He is terrible at them, and anyone who has watched Tottenham should know that isn't how he is used.

Hodgson's squad selection continued to not match his tactical choices as well. Why would you possibly choose to have the team play one way, but leave all the best players for that style on the bench?

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Where is Carolina's Identity? Let's hope the absence is only due to celebration.

Gruß,
BSHH

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
True, individually I think we're better than England, in midfield especially. But we've lacked offensive imagination in this tournament. And our D has been shaky (though not having Rami will help).

Another thing is that Iceland may very well treat this game today as their victory.

As for England's setup, there's so much wrong with it and it's not player production. It's not just Hodgson either, he's merely the most prominent part of it because he got to the England job through consistent failure. Their whole coaching staff is nothing but failures. Fail in the U-21 tournament every other year, never showing decent team play in it. It's a culture of failure and lack of organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->