Euro: R16: Iceland vs. England, 6/27/2016

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Iceland has good players, so no. But this never happens in football so I can't really think of something to compare it to.

I mean this isn't even the worst defeat in England history...that dishonor goes to the 1950 team, allegedly the best in the world that lost to a semipro US team at the World Cup :P

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
Will there be riots in England?

This would be like Canada or Sweden losing to Kazakhstan in hockey or something, right?

Nah.

Lol announcer just said. Country w more active volcanos than footballers.. lol

Iceland qualified by beating the dutch twice..

Iceland isn't a bad team.

Beating England is certainly bonus though.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Iceland remind me also of some of Stoke City's teams. Team other teams habitually overlook which makes up for many structural disadvantages with tight organization, cleverness, great spirit and passion.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
giphy.gif

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Well now, what a great day it's turned out to be! :yo:

Congrats, Iceland! HUGE win!

Where's BigMcLargeHuge in all of this? Dude's been rocking an Iceland flag for as long as I can remember, he should be celebrating in here. :laugh:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
They very well could beat France because their coaching and defense right now is very similar to England's.

Coaching is not comparable really. DD has a winning pedigree, as much as he frustrates me.
Defense is totally comparable and I could see us surrendering the same goals as England today.
Lack of imagination is also a big forte for both teams so far in the tournament.

I expect a rough game indeed. And Iceland could very well surprise. But please don't compare Roy and DD.:rant:

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
There's just so many things that were wrong today.

Sterling starting, Waiting until the 86th or 87th minute to bring on Rashford, Rooney staying on until then despite having one of the worst games of his life, Joe Hart being Joe Hart, Harry Kane taking free kicks and booting the ball 20 yards past the goal or 10 yards wide.

Just all around hilarious stuff.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Nah, England sucks at football. They won one trophy (and some would say tainted trophy) in over 100 years.

Only reason England is contantly pushed as a favorite is the English speaking press . In truth England had been a middling team for ages now. The early 90's was the last time the English national team was an actual threat in tournaments . The team hasn't been better than Quarter-finals since the 1996 Euros .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad