Euro: R16: Iceland vs. England, 6/27/2016

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It's not about foreign or domestic managers. The F.A. simply have idiots in decision-making capacities and they can't pick the right manager no matter where he's from. The rot always starts at the top.

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
Well deserved win for Iceland. Brilliant for them.

Same old **** from us. It's not a surprise anymore. Don't know why I bother. Hodgson shouldn't have been manager in the first place. His time at Liverpool was a big indicator. Rooney looks done too.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
TSN's squad ripped England a new one :laugh:

Something about how they perceive themselves as the top footballing countries, and an analyst even went as far as to say they're overrated. Can't argue with that tbh.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
So what is it?

Just Roy Hodgson?
Is it the culture and lack of belief?
Is England churning out players that decent at the club level but lack the ability to crank the extra gear at the international stage?

Do they just suck?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
TSN's squad ripped England a new one :laugh:

The best line was about how after 4 games you still couldn't figure out what the team philosophy was. It looked like he tossed a group of players he liked out on the field and hoped they could play well with no plan.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I read one paper before the Euros where a number of sports journos were polled for who they had winning, and an absolutely shocking number of them had England (yes, one would have been shocking enough, but I think it was actually more votes than any other country, maybe minus Spain). I wondered whether I was missing something. I guess I was not. I'll amusedly take it back if Iceland pulls a complete Greece, though.

skillhockey

Feb 26, 2013
I read one paper before the Euros where a number of sports journos were polled for who they had winning, and an absolutely shocking number of them had England (yes, one would have been shocking enough, but I think it was actually more votes than any other country, maybe minus Spain). I wondered whether I was missing something. I guess I was not. I'll amusedly take it back if Iceland pulls a complete Greece, though.

England been overrated for ages. They don't really have special talents, just ok group with poor coaching.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
England been overrated for ages. They don't really have special talents, just ok group with poor coaching.

The thing is, in Germany the English national team usually isn't even overrated. It just seemed like for this one, all of those guys tried to spot the next Spain as a big football nation that never won stuff, but forgot that Spain had infinitely much more talent when they started putting things together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad