Euro: R16: Iceland vs. England, 6/27/2016

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Awesome stuff. :laugh:

Iceland instantly became my favorite team in the world. Well, maybe I still have to root for Argentina. But man, what a tournee for the small island.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

The quote that sums English football's structure up.

He should be fired twice for that quote.

Talk about denial. What was he watching?

This was a clinical system counter, executed well all day, by a team in sync winning a game they shouldn't even be able to hang around in. The most impressive thing being is that despite ball possession Iceland had the better scoring opportunities and shots on the day.

That said there's something to one team believing in itself and the other oddly not. Excepting a few all the England attempts at goal today were off the mark. Or not even remotely dangerous. Around the box and in the area they lacked form, lacked the swerve that they could find the back of the net. Which oddly Iceland possessed.

For instance the scissor kick that almost scored. A team is feeling good about itself when you execute things like that. All the Iceland goals and chances were well executed counter build ups. With a lot of informed handiwork in close moving the ball around and into scoring situations. Something that England lacked all day.

Englands play DEFINES that individual efforts seldom win in international competition. Its all England really had today.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
So, why have a manager? What's your job exactly picking the players...that's it. That's what gets you 3 million dollars?

Why not have the fans vote to call up the team and fan voting can choose the 11 squad. Decide amongst yourselves the subs. Who ever feels drained subs off..like pick up on a Sunday style.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Hodgson, Capello, McLaren, Ericsson, Keegan, Hoddle, Taylor, even Venables and Robson. Have I missed anyone?

What do they all have in common? They all have a track record of failure and under-achievement. But if you constantly fail, maybe its not underachievement when you crash out of tournament after tournament, with the occasional failure to qualify altogether thrown in. Fact is, we're just not that good - but we have a huge domestic league, a large passionate fanbase and an idiotic media that overhypes the hell out of us every 2 years.

I thought after Brazil people were getting it, but we went with all our Great Young Players (TM) this time. Except they're not great, they just haven't had chance to fail on the world stage yet like their predecessors. Well, now they have.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
To be fair, there are some Guardiola quotes much like that. Then again, with Guardiola you know he's only trying to make a point for the players.

Yep. With Hodgson you don't even really know what he's doing or how the team is trying to play. Other managers who say those things know exactly how their team is supposed to play.

Football has IMO never been more about systems than it is now.

I thought after Brazil people were getting it, but we went with all our Great Young Players (TM) this time. Except they're not great, they just haven't had chance to fail on the world stage yet like their predecessors. Well, now they have.

The thing is, a lot of those players are successful with their clubs and on the path to winning trophies or already have won them. The difference is that their clubs make sure the players know what they're supposed to do.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I read one paper before the Euros where a number of sports journos were polled for who they had winning, and an absolutely shocking number of them had England (yes, one would have been shocking enough, but I think it was actually more votes than any other country, maybe minus Spain). I wondered whether I was missing something. I guess I was not. I'll amusedly take it back if Iceland pulls a complete Greece, though.

I read on these boards that England was favourites too.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Hodgson, Capello, McLaren, Ericsson, Keegan, Hoddle, Taylor, even Venables and Robson. Have I missed anyone?

What do they all have in common? They all have a track record of failure and under-achievement.

Capello has a history of failure? Really? :amazed:

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Maybe now with the UK leaving EU they can find a way to take England out of European competition. This would be the perfect time and reason to show "the nation that invented the game" isn't imperative to have for your tournament to thrive.

Its amazing to hear that the coach for Iceland has a real job outside of coaching. Wish they could win the whole thing but it won't happen.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
The thing is, a lot of those players are successful with their clubs and on the path to winning trophies or already have won them. The difference is that their clubs make sure the players know what they're supposed to do.

But we've always had players that were successful with their clubs. Before this team we had Gerrard, Lampard etc - flops internationally. Before that we had Scholes, Shearer etc - flops internationally. Before that we had...well how far back do you want to go? Bryan Robson? Kevin Keegan? And yet we've always been about the same level internationally - occasionally fail to make it altogether, usually stumble through the group stages with an early knock out, occasionally (well, twice) make it to the semis.

With such a consistent record of mediocrity, maybe it's that our players aren't actually as good as they're hyped to be?

Capello has a history of failure? Really?

With ENGLAND yes, that's the point. It doesn't matter who the manager is, its the same old story. So maybe it isn't the managers fault?

Maybe now with the UK leaving EU they can find a way to take England out of European competition. This would be the perfect time and reason to show "the nation that invented the game" isn't imperative to have for your tournament to thrive.

What's this got to do with anything? Other than anti-English sentiment? Lots of non-EU countries are in UEFA.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
With such a consistent record of mediocrity, maybe it's that our players aren't actually as good as they're hyped to be?

England still relies too much on hard running and physical ability instead of technique and creativity. Outside of Paul Scholes, I can't, for the life of me, remember a world class English play maker in the past 30 years.

Combine this with the very obvious non interest in tactics from English managers to help cover these inefficiencies and you end up with the trash you've been seeing for years.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
With ENGLAND yes, that's the point. It doesn't matter who the manager is, its the same old story. So maybe it isn't the managers fault?

In that sense yes. Capello, when signed, was one of the most highly regarded coach in the game.
It all went downwards when he signed with England though :D

It think it's a combination of several problems :
1/ Most of your NT coaches were absolutely awful. Before, during and after their NT stints.
2/ Many english players are awfully overrated because of national (and international as well) media.
3/ Directly after #2, some are extremely arrogant on the field and see themselves much better than they really are. They quite clearly disrespected Iceland yesterday and didn't expect to have any trouble.
4/ Lack of tactical awareness has always been obvious in english football.
5/ Lack of english players in the league. And when they're even half good, they get crazy money (see Sterling, Raheem, who was touted HERE IN HFBOARDS by multiple posters who are RIGHT NOW MOCKING England's overrated squad, as the best young player in the game). Goes to their head, and they don't work hard enough.
6/ Pressured players because of insane expectations.

This english squad has talent IMO. Kane, Sturridge, Alli, Sterling, Rashford, Lallana, Dier, Clyne, etc... those are decent players. But they're not world class players yet, maybe won't ever be.
Yet how many times can you read it here, where many posters are here saying it's not surprise England sucks, but at the same time, hype those players as world class players every weekend?

That's not how it works.

Plato

Nov 12, 2005
New York
People making too much of this.
Talented, inexperienced English side under enormous pressure led by clueless manager loses to underdog side playing with all the confidence in the world and with nothing to lose in one goal game decided by piss poor goalkeeping on the winning goal.

Don't really need to dig much deeper than that.
Hodgson was always going to be a passable manager for qualification and a massive liability in the actual tournament.
If it wasn't Iceland, it would've surely been France.

Stupid prediction of the day: Pardew gets off to horrid start with Palace this season, leads England into Russia in 2018.

Jul 26, 2007
Vermont
England still relies too much on hard running and physical ability instead of technique and creativity. Outside of Paul Scholes, I can't, for the life of me, remember a world class English play maker in the past 30 years.

Combine this with the very obvious non interest in tactics from English managers to help cover these inefficiencies and you end up with the trash you've been seeing for years.

Gascoigne was outrageous in his prime, but that's about it.

Sykie

Feb 28, 2002
Geneva
snhl.free.fr
There it is folks, that upset has justified the increase to 24 teams.

Really not. Iceland qualified as 2nd of their group. Turkey, Hungary, Ireland, Sweden and Ukraine qualified as 3rd of their group and would not have qualified.

If 2nd place points would decide who would go then, Albania, Croatia and Wales would have been the three others not going to Euro. Iceland would have been in anyway.

So this game certainly not justify anything. This format is an absurd and unfair format with the only purpose to bring more teams to get more audience and money.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Maybe I'm alone here, but some english players looked exhausted after 60 mins. Kane or Rooney for example.

Why isn't it possible for a nation that lives football to develop a good goalie in 25 years?
Why isn't it possible to adjust your system to good football nations? The spanish did it, the french did it and the germans did it.
Does England only have idiots in charge?

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Team Iceland are the hobbits of Europe. I mean physically they're Vikings, but as a nation. When things are falling apart, they lead the way. Show us what determination, courage and team play can do.

Iceland brings hope back!

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
What a dissapointment England turns out to be once and once again.

Congratulations to Iceland, they deserve to be where they are... hope they enjoy it as much as they can, who knows when they will be in a similar spot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad