Prospect Info: Quinn Hughes, Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Wow! Judd Brackett quoted as saying that the day Hughes steps on the ice for the Canucks he instantly becomes one of the best skaters in the entire NHL.

I get that Canuck scouts are inclined to pump the tires on drafted players, but damn, it is Brackett we're talking about here.

Brackett rarely gives hyperbolic compliments to players and actually says what he means, he said Q.Hughes has the best skating he has ever seen.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

member 290103

Really? Have you been following him in the NCAA? That’s simply not true. He has created boat loads of grade A chances in this tourney and his teammates aren’t finishing. Exactly why you don’t scout on a short tourney

Isn't he like second in scoring for defensemen in the entire NCAA Division I?

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Brackett rarely gives hyperbolic compliments to players and actually says what he means, he said Q.Hughes has the best skating he has ever seen.
Laterally....his edge work could be the best I can recall. His straight ahead speed isn’t the best. Fast for sure but he can add a gear

forty47seven

May 2, 2009
Wow! Judd Brackett quoted as saying that the day Hughes steps on the ice for the Canucks he instantly becomes one of the best skaters in the entire NHL.

I get that Canuck scouts are inclined to pump the tires on drafted players, but damn, it is Brackett we're talking about here.

What's so amazing about that? You could pull that quote from anyone interviewed about Quinn. It's a pretty safe and obvious statement.

Judd said nothing there about how he thinks Quinn's game will translate to the NHL or his expectations when he first "steps on the ice".

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Chris Peters- ESPN Draft and Prospect Analyst says Quinn has been the most important player for USA along w. Poehling. Adds that his points arent reflecting it because half the time the forwards are surprised w. The passes Quinn makes and doesny expect them or know what to do with them.

Peters also said hes scouted and seen every team at least twice and that Quinn Huhges and Eric Brannstorm are the best and most talented Dman in this tourny by a country mile

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-...hes-has-been-team-usa-s-best-player-1.1234803

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Chris Peters- ESPN Draft and Prospect Analyst says Quinn has been the most important player for USA along w. Poehling. Adds that his points arent reflecting it because half the time the forwards are surprised w. The passes Quinn makes and doesny expect them or know what to do with them.

Peters also said hes scouted and seen every team at least twice and that Quinn Huhges and Eric Brannstorm are the best and most talented Dman in this tourny by a country mile

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-...hes-has-been-team-usa-s-best-player-1.1234803
I don’t think anyone here is worried about his offensive game.

Biggest question is how he defends when he transitions to the NHL.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I don’t think anyone here is worried about his offensive game.

Biggest question is how he defends when he transitions to the NHL.

Yup his offensive game gives him a floor of a top 4 dman but it’s his defensive game that defines how much higher up the depth chart he goes

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
FBB966A4-C14A-4AD7-8294-F9B7108B160E.png
Rick daliwhal deleted this tweet for some reason...

Reactions: lindgren

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I think he will really flourish in Green's system, as Green places a large emphasis on the breakout pass and transition game which seem to be areas of strength for Hughes.

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017

I've noticed that as well on multiple occasions. Been a couple times when hes taken the puck behind the net and teammates have expected him to cycle the zone- and instead he'll zip a pass to the slot and it ends up going below/by a teammates stick.

Also to note: the US has dominated most teams in shots in games to this point. (Slovakia +20, Finland + 11, Kazakhstan + 53, Czechs +22, Sweden -4) A huge reason why is because of how well Quinn has transitioned zones. He's been so good at moving the puck from the defensive to offensive zone cleanly/minimizing dump-ins.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I've noticed that as well on multiple occasions. Been a couple times when hes taken the puck behind the net and teammates have expected him to cycle the zone- and instead he'll zip a pass to the slot and it ends up going below/by a teammates stick.

Also to note: the US has dominated most teams in shots in games to this point. (Slovakia +20, Finland + 11, Kazakhstan + 53, Czechs +22, Sweden -4) A huge reason why is because of how well Quinn has transitioned zones. He's been so good at moving the puck from the defensive to offensive zone cleanly/minimizing dump-ins.

I know I shouldn't laugh cause it's to be expected and it's mean and stuff like that, but just seeing that number is absurd

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Which defenseman are we so desperate to defend in the expansion draft?
Teams not stacked with defenseman needing to be protected.

Whichever is our 4th best instead of our 5th best. Not playing Hughes this year means we don't have to protect him. Seems super obvious to me.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Whichever is our 4th best instead of our 5th best. Not playing Hughes this year means we don't have to protect him. Seems super obvious to me.
That’s incorrect. He doesn’t have to be protected even if he plays this year

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
That’s incorrect. He doesn’t have to be protected even if he plays this year

Remember when I ruined your Christmas re: Luongo? Now I'm ruining your Ukrainian Christmas re: Hughes. He would have to be protected if he plays this season, assuming he also plays in 2019-20 and 2020-21.

Reactions: tyhee

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Remember when I ruined your Christmas re: Luongo? Now I'm ruining your Ukrainian Christmas re: Hughes. He would have to be protected if he plays this season, assuming he also plays in 2019-20 and 2020-21.
lol - I’m just going by what Biech said a few days ago. I dont believe you are correct. Standby

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009

Isn't there a specific number of games that he can play this year without being made eligible for selection by Seattle? Wasn't there some talk about players playing under a certain number of games of professional hockey and still being clear?

I should know this or just look it up, but what happens if he went and played in Utica- same issue as he if he played in Van?

Reactions: DonnyNucker

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Just imagine the breakout / powerplay when Hughes is skating it up and breaking in, instead of forcing Edler to drop pass or Pettersson to come back and rush it

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Both JD Burke and Ryan Biech have said on twitter and Canucks Army that Hughes does NOT need to be protected even if he plays for the Canucks this season.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
READ ABOVE COMMENT hope it is right. If not are you proposing not signing Hughes this year? That seems like a great way to start the relationship. As a person with tickets to 4 late season games I would be pissed. Wonder how happy owner would be missing out on extra revenue not to mention if we just missed the playoffs with a potential difference maker sitting out. Canucks did a great job with Boeser and he has paid the organization back in spades. You do not play around with potential stars. It is an obvious decision to sign him day Michigan is eliminated.

morganmobb

Apr 4, 2017
Quinn Hughes team finishes play on March 2 as it looks like they will not make it into the tournament. The Canucks play March 3rd in Las Vegas. Guessing the Canucks will sign the kid immediately much like they did with Boeser.

Do they fly the kid to Vegas to get in a quick road game as he'd have a couple days off after... or do they sign him and have his first game be at home, against the leafs on Dec 6th?

I guess they could also sign him and have him watch the first game at home and then take in his first game in Edmonton on the 7th.

March 3rd @Vegas
March 6th vs Toronto
March 7th @ Edmonton

Unfortunately, there is still the Big 10 Conference Tournament that runs after the season. March 8th-23rd. Depending on how Michigan does it will be the last homestand in March before we see Quinn.

Big Ten 2018-2019 Championship/Tournament Schedule - Big Ten Conference

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Sometimes it happens that players are so far ahead of the game that they don't thrive as much in the lower levels, because their teammates don't know what to do/aren't ready for the plays they make. This is what I think is happening with Hughes, even though he is still showing well. I cannot WAIT until he gets to feed EP, Boeser and Horvat (plus whoever we get in this year's draft - pleasepleasepleaseJackHughes). I think we are going to have a prominent offense, and a ridiculous powerplay with Hughes on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad