Not open for further replies.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Isn't there a specific number of games that he can play this year without being made eligible for selection by Seattle? Wasn't there some talk about players playing under a certain number of games of professional hockey and still being clear?

I should know this or just look it up, but what happens if he went and played in Utica- same issue as he if he played in Van?

If he plays 10 or more games with the Canucks this season, it would count against him as a year of pro experience. He could be finished with UMichigan as early as March 9th or 10th. Canucks still have 13 regular season games from March 13th onward so they would have to delay his signing or have him sit out some games-- and if they made the playoffs, those would count toward the limit, too. You can be sure the kid would like to burn off a year of that ELC by playing 10 games.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
He is exempt...it’s on canucks army and Biech tweeted the reason why a few weeks ago...I’ll try and dig it up. Something to do with his age

Donny

I am not sure if this is true but I am not even close to knowledgable about this. I know this is not that relevant anyways, but it is bugging me tom find out.

I know that the rules last time considered a professional season to be something like this:
"A year of professional experience is 10 professional games played under a NHL contract, including regular season and playoffs. For players who are aged 18 or 19* (on Sept. 15th of a given season), those specifically have to be NHL games. Everybody else it can be any league, as long as it’s under an NHL contract.
*The exception is a “19-year-old” player who turns 20 between September 16th and December 31st, and signed their first contract that same calendar year. For those players all games under an NHL contract count, no matter what league."

The above is what I was referring to earlier. This quote was from a post in the last expansion discussion threads.

Similar to waiver eligibility rules and contracts that slide for the purposes of future waiver, being young enough and playing less than 10 games means contract slides for that calculation. Quinn has an October birthday... He turns 20 in the calendar year he sings the contract (i.e. this year). If this is correct, doesn't that mean that any professional games he plays construes a season of pro hockey?

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
If he plays 10 or more games with the Canucks this season, it would count against him as a year of pro experience. He could be finished with UMichigan as early as March 9th or 10th. Canucks still have 13 regular season games from March 13th onward so they would have to delay his signing or have him sit out some games-- and if they made the playoffs, those would count toward the limit, too. You can be sure the kid would like to burn off a year of that ELC by playing 10 games.

See my post 929. Is that exception true in this case. Does just one game make it count for a player his age signing when he signs?

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
See my post 929. Is that exception true in this case. Does just one game make it count for a player his age signing when he signs?

Hughes only turned 19 last October. It would apply to him next season, not this season. He should be governed this season by the 10-game mark.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Hughes only turned 19 last October. It would apply to him next season, not this season. He should be governed this season by the 10-game mark.

Sorry... Not sure it matters, but is the exception not: He signs a contract in 2019 and turns 20 in 2019, therefore, he is an exception to the sliding rule?

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Sorry... Not sure it matters, but is the exception not: He signs a contract in 2019 and turns 20 in 2019, therefore, he is an exception to the sliding rule?

He is only an "18-year-old" player this season; that was his age on Sept 15, 2018 which is what counts for this season. Therefore 10 NHL games are required to count as a year of professional experience.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
He is only an "18-year-old" player this season; that was his age on Sept 15, 2018 which is what counts for this season. Therefore 10 NHL games are required to count as a year of professional experience.

I am not trying to be difficult, but I was basing the info off of a post quoted to explain the last expansion draft around the waiver rules. So, are you are telling me that the following is not true:

"*The exception is a “19-year-old” player who turns 20 between September 16th and December 31st, and signed their first contract that same calendar year. For those players all games under an NHL contract count, no matter what league."

Hughes is a 19 year old player that will turn 20 between those two dates. In this explanation, he would not be considered an 18 year old player. He is 19 for the calendar year and turning 20 during the next calendar year (of which he would have theoretically signed his ELC). Is this not the exception to the sliding contract rules?

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
I am not trying to be difficult, but I was basing the info off of a post quoted to explain the last expansion draft around the waiver rules. So, are you are telling me that the following is not true:

"*The exception is a “19-year-old” player who turns 20 between September 16th and December 31st, and signed their first contract that same calendar year. For those players all games under an NHL contract count, no matter what league."

Hughes is a 19 year old player that will turn 20 between those two dates. In this explanation, he would not be considered an 18 year old player. He is 19 for the calendar year and turning 20 during the next calendar year (of which he would have theoretically signed his ELC). Is this not the exception to the sliding contract rules?

Again, he is considered an 18YO player this season, not a 19YO. That was his age on Sept 15 of this season (last date that determines draft eligibility).

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Again, he is considered an 18YO player this season, not a 19YO. That was his age on Sept 15 of this season (last date that determines draft eligibility).

Okay, I am not sure where I have this, but this is not about an age eligibility for the draft. If we understand this, this is about when he signs his contract (at what age) and what that does to his waiver eligibility (which are being quoted as the rules used to determine the expansion draft eligibility- two different things, I believe). Because this isn't about his age, it is about how is contract would be treated and that is based on when he signs it.

I am going to do some more reading about it to see where I have got it wrong (or where you might be misleading me lol)

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009

Please help me to understand:

What is an Entry Level Slide?

If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’, or extend, by one year. For example, if a player signed an ELC for three seasons from 2015-16 to 2017-2018, and their contract slides, their contract is now effective from 2016-17 to 2018-19. An exception to this rule is that if the player is 19 on September 15 of the first year of their contract, and turns 20 between September 16 and December 31, their contract does not slide.

Where am I missing it. He will be 19 on sept 15 of his first year. He will turn 20 between those dates. It does not slide. Therefore, does it not follow that if he plays any games in any pro league after signing his pro contract in 2019, by these rules, he is eligible to be picked? Help me. Your explanation that he is in his 18 year is irrelevant, as it is spelled out word for word here that he fits the exception???????

Unless this not the basis for the decision making process?

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
If he signs in March, the first season of his contract is this season, and he was only 18 on Sept 15 of this season.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
If he signs in March, the first season of his contract is this season, and he was only 18 on Sept 15 of this season.

I understand this is your understanding.

These contract rules don't say anything about the "season" they are in. The rules do not ask what season he is in (as per his 18 year old season). It does, however, specifically discuss the age of the player as of the singing date and the age of the player as of Sept 15 of that YEAR (not "playing season"- as the entry draft seem to suggest). These rules are there for AFTER a player is drafted from their "season" of draft eligibility. It relates to how to deal with contracts (and as an extension, their Expansion Draft Eligibility), if this is correct, and not their ENTRY draft eligibility.

I am not suggesting I have got this figured out, but you are not giving me anything that explains what the rule says and why it isn't that way. Please give me more than your understanding that a player who is 19 when he puts pen to paper is not considered to be 19, as defined specially by the rule, for the purposes of applying this exception.

Edit: Are you arguing that the "First year of his contract is 2018/19" and therefore, on sept 15 of that season, he was 18? I hope this is the case and that he doesn't play 10 games

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Man you guys got me all hyped for Q. Hughes too. I wonder if he is the better prospect between him and Jack? Would Quinn goes 1st overall if he was eligible for this year draft?

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
The thing is find funny is I have seen it suggested it sounded too cocky or over confident. WTF is the guy supposed to say? He's probably sick and tired or answering questions like if he is scared of such and such a team or player because he is so small.

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
The whining about his size will soon go away after he reaches the NHL. The kid can be a special player and will open up the ice for the others.

Reactions: carolinacanuck

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
The whining about his size will soon go away after he reaches the NHL. The kid can be a special player and will open up the ice for the others.

But yikes.... "5' 8"" ????? Is he really that small? Sheeeeeet that is small as a D for the NHL....

I sure hope you all are right!!!!

Numba9

Oct 3, 2011
New Westminster, BC
But yikes.... "5' 8"" ????? Is he really that small? Sheeeeeet that is small as a D for the NHL....

I sure hope you all are right!!!!

He's definitely not 5'8...he's 5'10 on all the major internet hockey sites. He also doesn't look 5'8 on the ice either so I don't know where they got that number. Probably an exaggeration similar to Pettersson weighing 140lbs.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
I don’t think he’s 5”8..

He’s listed as 5”10 on hockey dB

Yes, he is listed at various heights. Just to be clear, I am not saying he is 5'8". The tweet however, that people were responding to did list him as that short

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
What if we pair Guddy and one of Schaller, Pouliot, MDZ for high picks and prospects? :naughty:

Best right side we have currently obviously would be Tanev. Otherwise Stecher could do in a pinch... I keep seeing people toss Tryamkin in as part of a pairing with Hughes, if he ever actually comes back that might work but a steady vet would be Hughes' best chance to succeed initially.

I like Tryamkin as a partner eventually but not in QH's rookie year. 2nd year it could be a perfect match and that is when NT's contract would end in the KHL.

I don't see us getting Karlsson but if we did it would transform our team. Or even just a UFA on an over priced 1 year deal- which is not realistic, I'd be down for.

2019-2020 season:
Edler-Karlsson/UFA on 1 year deal/Stecher
Hughes-Tanev
Hutton-Gudbrandson
Stecher or Biega

If we don't land Karlsson which I doubt we would there are a lot of defencemen available the following offseason- my target would be Pieterangelo. However, the class is a lot more stacked July of 2020 as UFA's include: Josi, Barrie, Schultz, Krug, Spurgeon, Vatanen, Faulk, Brodie, Scandella, Hamonic, Braun. This is why I am more inclined to just roll the same D-core to an extent next year if we can't land Karlsson as the market being relatively dry in other options, who will get severely overpaid with not a lot of higher end options available this summer.

2020-2021 season:
Edler-Pieterangelo
Hughes-Tanev
Hutton-Tryamkin
Stecher

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I like Tryamkin as a partner eventually but not in QH's rookie year. 2nd year it could be a perfect match and that is when NT's contract would end in the KHL.

I don't see us getting Karlsson but if we did it would transform our team. Or even just a UFA on an over priced 1 year deal- which is not realistic, I'd be down for.

2019-2020 season:
Edler-Karlsson/UFA on 1 year deal/Stecher
Hughes-Tanev
Hutton-Gudbrandson
Stecher or Biega

If we don't land Karlsson which I doubt we would there are a lot of defencemen available the following offseason- my target would be Pieterangelo. However, the class is a lot more stacked July of 2020 as UFA's include: Josi, Barrie, Schultz, Krug, Spurgeon, Vatanen, Faulk, Brodie, Scandella, Hamonic, Braun. This is why I am more inclined to just roll the same D-core to an extent next year if we can't land Karlsson as the market being relatively dry in other options, who will get severely overpaid with not a lot of higher end options available this summer.

2020-2021 season:
Edler-Pieterangelo
Hughes-Tanev
Hutton-Tryamkin
Stecher
People are still talking about Tryamkin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad