Prospect Info: Quinn Hughes, Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Lol I knew my post would get twisted this way. Here let me spell it out for you:

Better prospects than Hughes have busted before =/= Hughes will bust.

This was such a simple thing to understand and I knew it would get twisted into a statement/opinion that I clearly did not make.
Fair enough my apologies. The point I’m trying to make, is that I’ve watched Hughes play a ton of games, live and on tv. His game translates to the NHL perfectly. His skating, which imo is the biggest most important tool for dman nowadays, is his biggest strength and he’s already going to be one of the best skaters in the NHL as soon as he debuts. His hockey IQ is incredible as well, and partnered with a dman like Tanev will make him excel like crazy. Him at the point with Pettersson and Boeser on his wings on the PP will be deadly.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
This is really good thread to find out who all the closed minded nuck homers are. It’s so hard to remener all the names though.

Reactions: Oddleifson

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
So we aren’t allowed to question anything about Hughes or we are Canuck haters? When did this place become cdc?
You're allowed to do anything you want. Similarly if it appears to other posters someone is doing dumb, vague drive-bys on any trend or prospect that might reflect positively on the management or the team's trajectory, people are allowed to call that dumb. It doesn't make them fans of Benning, or indicate they are unreasonably optimistic. It probably just means they are tired of seeing dumb posts.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Havnt seen a lot of Hughes but what I have seen is a kid who can skate at a level very few can .
Played watched for 50 years and there are only a handful i remember with the wheels this kid has and he will get better and stronger .
There is no way to predict where he will get but it is difficult not to watch and think he will be a very good NHL player .

Reactions: The ultimate fan

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
You're allowed to do anything you want. Similarly if it appears to other posters someone is doing dumb, vague drive-bys on any trend or prospect that might reflect positively on the management or the team's trajectory, people are allowed to call that dumb. It doesn't make them fans of Benning, or indicate they are unreasonably optimistic. It probably just means they are tired of seeing dumb posts.

What are you even going on about? Why don’t you address the actual criticisms? If you think they are unwarranted, then explain why. This isn’t rocket science, it is the most basic level of debate. I’m tired of posters here up in arms about reasonable criticism without even attempting to address the criticism. It’s ridiculous.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
What are you even going on about? Why don’t you address the actual criticisms? If you think they are unwarranted, then explain why. This isn’t rocket science, it is the most basic level of debate. I’m tired of posters here up in arms about reasonable criticism without even attempting to address the criticism. It’s ridiculous.
Okay. Simply pointing out that it's possible for Hughes to bust and that other similar prospects have busted is a worthless, meaningless statement that can't even be interpreted as a guess at the likelihood of that happening. It's a statement with no content, or any purpose other than to provoke people.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site

Or you know you could realize that posters have had the same worries about Hughes from before this management team drafted him. We just didn’t flip our position on a player because the canucks acquired him like many posters.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
There are simply too many examples of short defensemen who oozed offensive skills in junior but struggled to turn pro. And not very many examples of players who turned into top pairing defenders.

You can easily argue that Hughes is in a different class from deangelo, vande sompel, Subban, etc but the risk is very real. I am definitely interesting in seeing what happens.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Okay. Simply pointing out that it's possible for Hughes to bust and that other similar prospects have busted is a worthless, meaningless statement that can't even be interpreted as a guess at the likelihood of that happening. It's a statement with no content, or any purpose other than to provoke people.

You realize that it was one guy who flat-out said that "Hughes will not bust" that prompted me to point that out? It wasn't even a criticism of Hughes. This is the nature of prospects.

Reactions: geebaan

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Just like Pettersson in the 2017 draft, teams will be beating themselves up for letting Hughes slide to the Canucks. Other than possibly Dahlin, he was the best player drafted in 2018.

If you watched the Flames-Canucks tilt last night and focused on Johnny Gaudreau, you got a sneak peak. Gaudreau's lateral agility and pivots are off the charts. Quinn Hughes is as good or maybe even better, but just brings it from the blueline.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012

As noted above, that post you are referring to was taken out of context. Why don’t you try addressing the actual criticisms and having a meaningful discussions?

Last edited:

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Have you changed your name?

Your way of writing seems familiar but your name doesnt.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Fair enough my apologies. The point I’m trying to make, is that I’ve watched Hughes play a ton of games, live and on tv. His game translates to the NHL perfectly. His skating, which imo is the biggest most important tool for dman nowadays, is his biggest strength and he’s already going to be one of the best skaters in the NHL as soon as he debuts. His hockey IQ is incredible as well, and partnered with a dman like Tanev will make him excel like crazy. Him at the point with Pettersson and Boeser on his wings on the PP will be deadly.

We should be happy with how he’s doing but being overly optimistic just seems like a great way to not have sounds arguments or get dissatisfied

Last edited by a moderator:

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
When is Leivo gonna be a guaranteed top 6 player for us?

We should be happy with how he’s doing but being overly optimistic just seems like a great way to not have sounds arguments or get dissatisfied
Man I really miss Carcone. That kids going to be a beauty! Leivo is decent...should be a solid 3rd liner but top 6 is unlikely

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Dobson was leading his team in points before heading off to the WJC. He can only do so much, as a defenseman, when the team is a dumpster fire around him.

When the defenseman is leading his team in points, I'd say it's a pretty good indication that he's been generating his own offense, regardless of how many points that has actually translated to.
:thumbu:

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Hughes needs to be paired with a stay-at-home defence partner that has a rocket of a one-timer from the point. He's going to immediately be one of the shiftiest, fastest skating and best passing d-men in the nhl, but his shot sucks and he's going to have more than his fair share of giveaways.

Reactions: Grantham

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Hughes needs to be paired with a stay-at-home defence partner that has a rocket of a one-timer from the point. He's going to immediately be one of the shiftiest, fastest skating and best passing d-men in the nhl, but his shot sucks and he's going to have more than his fair share of giveaways.

Gudbranson won last year's hardest shot competition. He's a RHD and he's a stay-at-home defenseman. He checks off all of your boxes.

I think we have our answer. :thumbu:

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Gudbranson won last year's hardest shot competition. He's a RHD and he's a stay-at-home defenseman. He checks off all of your boxes.

I think we have our answer. :thumbu:

Hughes and Gudbranson could grow into an elite pairing. They complement each other’s games perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad