Status
Not open for further replies.

Hemty

"Magni Consili Angelus"
Jan 14, 2015
Riga
soundcloud.com
Hughes in college for ONE more year than will sign with us. FACT

For the best, not like we competing this year anyways, what could he learn??
Easy there. My thought process from the start was, that he shouldn't be here, as we will be battling for that top 5 pick yet again.
Let him have a go at the NCAA championship, get that experience, and hopefully, starting next year with our new MGMT team :sarcasm:, we'll be on the come up.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Maybe he could learn from the college mvp himself, gaudy boy dette, instead of from lesser players
Yeah maybe your right, i take back my statement he could learn some things (and not necessarily JUST from the Gaudefather like your suggesting)

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Benning haters: lets see how Hughes does (or "lucky" even though he ain't a top 5 pick)

Canuck fans at heart: Can't wait to see how he does and join the Canucks!
Dont mean to pick a part your post but from what ive seen here both the pro and anti Benning crowd were quite happy with the Hughes pick

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I would classify myself as someone who despises Benning's influence on the team but loves the Hughes pick as well.

Also you can despise Benning and be a Canuck fan at heart. After all, why would you despise him if you didn't care about the team?

Reactions: skyo

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Who are the other selections Hughes will be most compared/scrutinized vs from this draft? Is it primarily going to be just the 3 other D - Dobson, Bouchard, Bodqvist?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Who are the other selections Hughes will be most compared/scrutinized vs from this draft? Is it primarily going to be just the 3 other D - Dobson, Bouchard, Bodqvist?

Dobson is the one I will be watching the most because before the draft I would have said he was my preferred D that we would have a shot at drafting. That said, some of what I valued in him was the safety and pragmatism of taking a 6’3 great skating who exceeded PPG as a 17 y/o. With Hughes (and Boqvist) I felt they were like choosing to eat candy for dinner, like they were the most fun, flashy picks but that ultimately you win with D like Dobson.

Deep down I think I wanted Hughes or Boqvist (riskier) more than Dobson but couldn’t justify it at the time. Now that he’s ours I have no regrets at all.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
I watched him play, didn't keep an eye on him, usually had like 3 games running Michigan games usually run 4pm for me. When I did notice him, it would be with lockwood on the ice. Legit thought he was their 2nd line forward.

This guy is just go-go all the time.

Reactions: F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Dobson is the one I will be watching the most because before the draft I would have said he was my preferred D that we would have a shot at drafting. That said, some of what I valued in him was the safety and pragmatism of taking a 6’3 great skating who exceeded PPG as a 17 y/o. With Hughes (and Boqvist) I felt they were like choosing to eat candy for dinner, like they were the most fun, flashy picks but that ultimately you win with D like Dobson.

Deep down I think I wanted Hughes or Boqvist (riskier) more than Dobson but couldn’t justify it at the time. Now that he’s ours I have no regrets at all.

Ya I am kind of the same way. Only thing I disagree with is the winning part. Best case scenario, I actually think you win with a Dman like Hughes over Dobson because Hughes has the higher offensive upside. I say this with the best case scenario in mind being that Dobson would be a #1 all around stud Dman and Hughes being a gamebreaking offensive Dman who successfully moves the puck up ice every time he touches the puck. In the playoffs, I think you need Dmen who play good shutdown D and someone needs to produce offensively on the back end. A lot of times it comes down to one goal and I think a Dman like Hughes has the ability to be a game breaker. And with that in mind, you're more likely to find an "unsung hero" who is really a #4 or bottom pairing Dman who plays amazing shutdown D than one of those playoff one hit wonders on D. That's just my thoughts. But again, we're talking about best case scenarios here.

To me, it was all about risk. I preferred Dobson for that reason because I was worried about Hughes' size and ability to defend. But like you, now that Quinn is ours, I'm pretty excited having him in the system.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Been watching his shift by shift videos on youtube

This kid needs a lot of work in his own end if he wants to play a regular shift. With enough time and space he's generally fine, it's a big reason why he shines on the PP but morphs into Bartkowski with some pressure on him. He also really doesn't like being hit. From his blueline out he's essentially a 4th forward and really crafty with the puck, very good at fooling guys by looking off his passes and turns.

I want to like this pick but am not sold, especially with the hype he's been given. Hopefully he takes some steps forward this year.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Been watching his shift by shift videos on youtube

This kid needs a lot of work in his own end if he wants to play a regular shift. With enough time and space he's generally fine, it's a big reason why he shines on the PP but morphs into Bartkowski with some pressure on him. He also really doesn't like being hit. From his blueline out he's essentially a 4th forward and really crafty with the puck, very good at fooling guys by looking off his passes and turns.

I want to like this pick but am not sold, especially with the hype he's been given. Hopefully he takes some steps forward this year.

Do you mean when he has the puck in his own end?

Because I feel his biggest strenght is how impossible he is to pressure in his own end. He just escapes time and again leaving the forechecker behind the play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad