GDT: PS #3 - 10/01/16 | RANGERS @ devils | 7:00 PM - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrbitalDynamics

#Unsurprised
May 22, 2008
Stalag Luft JFK
What makes you so positive Clendening is not an NHL player? He's had 4 assists in 2 games...started the breakout on a 5th goal, has a good shot, played almost 25 minutes tonight, has done nothing "glaring" defensively wrong...he's looked fine. I really like this guy. His work on the PP has been awesome to boot. Definitely could be the distributor on our 2nd PP unit.

You say this with almost definitive certainty.

The Oilers, they of the eternal shortage of NHL caliber defencemen claimed Clendening on waivers last year and despite their continued dearth of NHL defencemen declined to offer him a contract.

What does that tell you about "Clendo" Orr?

The guy is on a two way contract.We're three games into the preseason and "he could be a distributor on the 2nd PP unit"? Vigneault barely played Yandle on the 2nd PP unit last year but he's going to play "Clendo" there?

The guy has almost as many travel stickers on his baggage as Lee Stempniak for cryin' out loud.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I don't know what u guys are smoking vesey looked very good again to me. Bumbled the puck for a goal against big deal it happens but he's been very good

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
I'm watching the game now, why is everyone complaining about McRae? He has seemed to fit in so far.

He's a 26 year old career AHLer on an AHL contract. Many of us just thought we were wasting a start on him when we could actually playing someone who is truly on the bubble.

Maybe the Jooris injury has something to do with why he is being played...or maybe AV wanted to play him over Fogarty because he figures McRae has more experience than Fogarty and could be a better Centerman for Vesey.

I dunno...I just think it was a waste.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

The Oilers, they of the eternal shortage of NHL caliber defencemen claimed Clendening on waivers last year and despite their continued dearth of NHL defencemen declined to offer him a contract.

The guy is on a two way contract.We're three games into the preseason and "he could be a distributor on the 2nd PP unit"? Vigneault barely played Yandle on the 2nd PP unit last year but he's going to play "Clendo" there?

The guy has almost as many travel stickers on his baggage as Lee Stempniak for cryin' out loud.

The Oilers have made plenty of terrible decisions over the years I am not sure we should be basing a players abilities on their evaluations.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

To me it just shows the Oilers are idiots. Similar to how NJ didn't sign Stralman or no one wanted Pouliot the year before he signed in NY.

This team sorely lacks what he brings. Defensively he needs a bit of work but so did Dan Boyle. I would venture a guess that given the same amount of ice time and PP time, Clendening gets more points and creates more offense.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The Oilers have made plenty of terrible decisions over the years I am not sure we should be basing a players abilities on their evaluations.

Exactly what I was about to post.

Clendenning's numbers at the AHL are a world better than anything Connor Allen has ever posted. It's a dumb comparison for that reason alone.

I wouldn't expect much more than a guy who can play as a #6-7 ala Hunwick but hes been one of the teams better players in camp so far and he would 10000000% be a better option than Girardi this year.

OrbitalDynamics

#Unsurprised
May 22, 2008
Stalag Luft JFK
To me it just shows the Oilers are idiots. Similar to how NJ didn't sign Stralman or no one wanted Pouliot the year before he signed in NY.

This team sorely lacks what he brings. Defensively he needs a bit of work but so did Dan Boyle. I would venture a guess that given the same amount of ice time and PP time, Clendening gets more points and creates more offense.

We shall see.I'm not penciling anyone into the lineup based on three preseason games.We see this every training camp.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Gilmore has looked very good, more of a shooter, he should be really good in Hartford. No need to rush him. Clendening is very cool and calm and really efficient on the pp, most impressive on pp from all other young d. I really liked Bodies play, I'm not one to get hung up on his size, skates well, smart, with a stay at home d he can be a #6 like a Hunwick, play second pp unit too. I thought Skjei was much better today, but he's not an offensive d, not a pp guy, pk and 5v5, did much less chasing around.

It was good to finally see Gropp do something, he skates well, shoot, nice set up on Gilmores goal. With right players he might be just fine in Hartford. I thought he stuck out more than Tambelini did in his game.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville

You need to stop with the hyperbole. Nowhere has anyone called him Orr.

I'm also aware of the waivers Edmonton claimed him off of.

In any case, you're not making an argument at all. You're saying he's no good because he hasn't stuck anywhere...not because he has no talent.

I've stated in other posts that his 5v5 numbers were very solid for Edmonton last year. I've also stated that he was not used on the PP for even one second last year in 29 games. Not one second. Was not given an opportunity to play to his strengths.

Put him on 3rd pairing 5v5 and run him on 2nd unit PP and he will be quite serviceable. If he really impresses, run him on 2nd pairing and drop G to 3rd pairing (G is going to play, sadly).

Do you want me to go over Clendo's stats from last year?

Also, what D-man do you suggest on 2nd unit PP over Clendo? G? Staal? Klein? C'mon man. We have no more Boyle and no more Yandle. Clendo fits right in.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The Rangers are looking for a Dan Boyle replacement. That's 2nd or 1st PP and a guy who can drive some offense from the backend. Outside of Clendening on the right side who else is there?

Gilmour is giving Skjei a serious run for his money on the left side.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Some thoughts...

Kreider and Zibanejad
Chemistry again. Together this duo will make the RW interchangeable. These two continue to be the best players on the ice. Miller on the RW I didn't love however. They were somewhat out of synch. After the moved the lines around I felt they started to get it going.

Vesey
Minus the Cammaleri play where he knocked him off the puck I though he had a solid game. Showed intelligence, showed patience. He 100% looks to me like he belongs. Continues to remind me of Chris Drury.

Clendaning
Subtle moves in the defensive zone. He continues to impress. Steady. Chipped in on the offensive again. Haven't seen anyone on the defense that has outplayed him in this preseason. Barring any trades this guy looks to me like he will make the squad.

Skjei
We all know Brady can skate. But...He's not moving his legs so far in preseason like he can. He has played Ok but not seeing the first round, top 4 Dman that he projects to be.

McRae
AHL bound

Gilmour
This kid is having fun out there. Showed his offense again. I like his skating also. Complete long shot, but I think this kid is seizing the opportunity the best way he possibly could with the tools at his disposal.

Jensen
Where were you tonight?

lapierre
Felt like he was on the ice all night long. It's a little scary as the club is clearly giving him a. Long hard look.

Grabner
Never realized this guy once scored 34 goals. Impressive. Tonight he was ok. Love the speed he brings.

Girardi
2 mistakes on his first shift.
Gets hit by a puck
One the ice for a couple goals against
I feel like #5 has the gooch on him.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Hard to get a true read of the guys with a chance when they're playing with so many guys who don't. But for what it's worth...

Kreider & Zibanejad: our 2 best players.
JTM: terrible 1st 2 periods and a good 3rd. Put it down to getting back into the swing.
Vesey: had some good and some bad. To be expected from a rookie, especially playing with such a mishmash. Fully expect him in the top 9 to start.
Jensen: some good, but mostly invisible. Not enough to stay up.
McRae & Brown: c'mon already, they're AHL vets signed to AHL deals. Overmatched. Send 'em down and let 'em do what they do.
Fast: mostly good, despite one bad moment. His usual solid, vanilla self.
Gerbe: mostly invisible. But on balance has shown what's expected. Bubble.
Lapierre: best moment was the penalty he took early on to save a goal. After that, went steadily downhill. Felt bad for him with the missed opportunities and penalty towards the end - it was that bad. Release him from the PTO.
Gropp: didn't play much, but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the speed and flashes of heady play on offense. Still very raw, however.
Grabner: as expected. Lock for the fourth line.

Skjei: much better than the previous game, but not at the level he was at the end of last year. Still, if he was ill last time, then this was encouraging. Would like to see him play with an actual professional squad while healthy.
Clendening: mixed. Good on offense, but showed some holes on D we didn't see last time, and which may point to why he could be a AAAA player. How much of it was him, however, and how much the mishmash we put out there? Definitely an asset on the PP.
Paliotta: mostly invisible but with a couple of good plays on offense and a couple of whiffs on D that stood out. Left a favorable impression that he's still got upside, but needs to keep developing. That said, it's only his first PS ice time, so I feel it's a bit unfair to try to get a read.
Gilmour: continues to impress. Probably goes down, but has earned a good, long look, IMO. Good signing.
Bodie: I know the chart says he was an asset, but I thought he was overmatched. Back down to the AHL ASAP.
Girardi: I had hopes the offseason would do him wonders and he'd return to at least he a solid bottom 4 guy. So far, he looks like he should be considering retirement. Shame for a guy who was so important to this franchise for so long.

Raanta: ready for backup duty.
Hellberg: not as good a game as his last one. Skapski may be the #1 in HFD (which is actually probably a good thing).

Last edited:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
As of now, there is no justification to be playing Girardi over any of McIlrath, Clendening, or Holden. Three guys who can play the right side that have been better than G in preseason.

It's a fun fantasy, but G is going to be lining up right next to McDonagh in game 1.

McIlrath or Clendening will likely be lost to waivers, or used as a throw in piece on a trade.

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
As of now, there is no justification to be playing Girardi over any of McIlrath, Clendening, or Holden. Three guys who can play the right side that have been better than G in preseason.

It's a fun fantasy, but G is going to be lining up right next to McDonagh in game 1.

McIlrath or Clendening will likely be lost to waivers, or used as a throw in piece on a trade.

I'm telling you mannnnnn Gilmore!!!!

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I want to stop messing around with clear AHL players at this point.

I don't care, nor do I think it's relevant to see if Vesey or Buch can drive a line of lower level players. I dont care, nor do I think it's relevant to see if Skjei or Gilmour can carry a pair with a lower level player. That's not what we need to know.

I'd like to see our bubble guys play with our actual NHLers from here on out and see if they can fit in and make their lines/pairs work.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI

Disagree
If you actually took the time to follow the careers of Clendening and Holden, there's all the justification in the world on why that fantasy is not a reality and the NYR have invested a lot in McIlrath to just simply lose him on waivers..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad