GDT: PS #3 - 10/01/16 | RANGERS @ devils | 7:00 PM - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
I want to stop messing around with clear AHL players at this point.

I don't care, nor do I think it's relevant to see if Vesey or Buch can drive a line of lower level players. I dont care, nor do I think it's relevant to see if Skjei or Gilmour can carry a pair with a lower level player. That's not what we need to know.

I'd like to see our bubble guys play with our actual NHLers from here on out and see if they can fit in and make their lines/pairs work.

ya and I wanted to see Bodie play, not to see if he can carry a lower level player. That's not what we need to know.

In all seriousness though, this game is coming before a set of cuts to all of the no chancers. The ones remaining will either get a voucher to be called up once there's an injury or to slot in as the 14th, 15th forward and as the 7th and 8th D. I don't mind this lineup tonight since we still have three remaining. Cuts coming up tomorrow or before Monday's game and I suspect we will get one last look at the remaining young players pushing for a spot and they'll likely make a decision internally after the 4th game even if they don't announce the cuts. The 5th and 6th games will be getting the timing right for the regular pairings on defense and solidifying the starting lineups and line combos.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
AV wasting the preseason as always.

Uses the first 20 games to figure things out. Stupid strategy and why we always look lost starting the year.

Devils iced basically their entire team tonight. Some teams actually sense urgency

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
And why does lundqvist get a week to sit at home? Guy played what 3 games and lost 2 of them? After the way he finished last year he should be working as hard as possible in camp to be ready

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
I think most of the Girardi "detractors" would have liked to see him recover and show up to display a strong physical presence, improved skating, better decision making, and acceptable puck moving without the turnovers or giveaways. We looked and we saw none of those things so unfortunately, when you show up to a redemption season the same as before, the opinions are not going to be very forgiving or considerate. Marc Staal though had a nice 1st game. Really looking forward to seeing more of Staal play and hopefully see him regain his defensive stature.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
And why does lundqvist get a week to sit at home? Guy played what 3 games and lost 2 of them? After the way he finished last year he should be working as hard as possible in camp to be ready

played three games, was the 1st star for his team in 2 of them. Four games altogether actually with the pre-tournament games plus Sweden training camp.

[implying that Henrik Lundqvist isn't working as hard as possible for hockey]

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
played three games, was the 1st star for his team in 2 of them. Four games altogether actually with the pre-tournament games plus Sweden training camp.

[implying that Henrik Lundqvist isn't working as hard as possible for hockey]

Oh you get a week vacation after a whole week of work too? Must be nice.

This coach lets everyone ease into the season here. Don't like it never have.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
AV wasting the preseason as always.

Uses the first 20 games to figure things out. Stupid strategy and why we always look lost starting the year.

Devils iced basically their entire team tonight. Some teams actually sense urgency
*and still almost lost.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Oh you get a week vacation after a whole week of work too? Must be nice.

This coach lets everyone ease into the season here. Don't like it never have.

The coaches gave Henrik the day off to recover from the tournament and to get settled in. He ended up skating because he couldn't stay off the ice and wanted to get going. He was working with Benny on Saturday. Henrik doesn't slack. He's not taking strolls through central park petting dogs for a week.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
There probably isn't a player on the team that works harder than Lundqvist to prepare for the season, that's a silly thing to complain about

Didn't watch this game but part of me wonders how much Girardi is coasting as a vet in preseason, or how hard he's really trying to work but will get the benefit of a doubt as a vet coasting in the preseason.

Dunno, it's a big concern this year I think. How AV ends up handling Girardi if he really struggles could be a not insignificant factor in how the season goes. I think you have to handle vets like Girardi with care or you risk alienating the locker room, but at the same time you can't let a guy playing extremely poorly pull down the team and block other players development.

If Girardi continues to struggle and look done, it will be interesting to see how AV handles that, and honestly, how the front office handles it. The foot might come down about how he's being used if it's detrimental to the team.

Sad that we have to talk about things this way, I didn't really think Girardi would fall off this quickly and this badly.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Plus playing at the world cup is basically training camp for Henrik. He treats it as seriously as any professional would. He's already in game shape. He's had his preseason camp essentially. Just needs 2 games to get comfortable with the guys in front of him. Extra games would help with familiarity and communication but in a condensed season with the bye week, AV is already talking about playing Henrik 52 to 62 games a season. It's not going to help pushing Henrik and not letting him recover fully from the world cup which basically ran for 3 week in September. He's had more camp, practices, and game time than anyone on our current roster.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
There probably isn't a player on the team that works harder than Lundqvist to prepare for the season, that's a silly thing to complain about

Didn't watch this game but part of me wonders how much Girardi is coasting as a vet in preseason, or how hard he's really trying to work but will get the benefit of a doubt as a vet coasting in the preseason.

Dunno, it's a big concern this year I think. How AV ends up handling Girardi if he really struggles could be a not insignificant factor in how the season goes. I think you have to handle vets like Girardi with care or you risk alienating the locker room, but at the same time you can't let a guy playing extremely poorly pull down the team and block other players development.

If Girardi continues to struggle and look done, it will be interesting to see how AV handles that, and honestly, how the front office handles it. The foot might come down about how he's being used if it's detrimental to the team.

Sad that we have to talk about things this way, I didn't really think Girardi would fall off this quickly and this badly.

I think there's been a lot of talk about Girardi and his declining play. It won't be as if AV is benching Step for playing poorly or benching Henrik or something. The team will rally around it more than anything else. Too mature of a locker room.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
It's not hank guys Christ it's AV putting a lack of urgency on the players. Telling hank to take a week off. He didn't even want to do that.

Playing scrubs this late instead of letting pairs gell

How does it help vesey get used to NHL playing with ahlers?

Why is lapierre playing 3 nights in a row 20 mins a game?

Holden has played once? Just got here

Hayes once?

Gropp gets his first shot on a 4th line?

Hate the way he runs his camps

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think there's been a lot of talk about Girardi and his declining play. It won't be as if AV is benching Step for playing poorly or benching Henrik or something. The team will rally around it more than anything else. Too mature of a locker room.

Yeah it's just frustrating. I don't want to watch another year of Girardi being terrible but be given all the chances because he's a vet. It sucks but if he can't play anymore then something needs to be done, and if he's coasting in preseason then he needs to stop because he has a lot to prove. Shouldn't matter if you're a vet if you're coming off a terrible year and trying to prove you still have something in the tank

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Yeah it's just frustrating. I don't want to watch another year of Girardi being terrible but be given all the chances because he's a vet. It sucks but if he can't play anymore then something needs to be done, and if he's coasting in preseason then he needs to stop because he has a lot to prove. Shouldn't matter if you're a vet if you're coming off a terrible year and trying to prove you still have something in the tank

I'm not sure if coasting is a good explanation though I get what you're saying. It's not like he's skating slowly or not blocking shots or not going to the net to defend. He's just making poor decisions that can't be explained away with coasting. Chases Hall to behind the net and trips and leaves two Devils wide open. Holds onto the puck in the defensive zone instead of moving the puck and gets it taken away by Hall and fails to recover from the mistake. Give away up the center of the ice on what should be a straight forward play.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I'm not sure if coasting is a good explanation though I get what you're saying. It's not like he's skating slowly or not blocking shots or not going to the net to defend. He's just making poor decisions that can't be explained away with coasting. Chases Hall to behind the net and trips and leaves two Devils wide open. Holds onto the puck in the defensive zone instead of moving the puck and gets it taken away by Hall and fails to recover from the mistake. Give away up the center of the ice on what should be a straight forward play.

Yeah and those are all mistakes he made a lot of last season. I think there's a certain amount of "rust" you can expect in preseason but since they're continued mistakes then it is pretty concerning that this is what we're going to get this season if he's given minutes

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
I don't mind the lax training camp for the starting lineup players. Alan said they need more depth this year than any other year due to the condensed schedule so they want as much time as possible to spend with the AHLers to get them more ready or comfortable with the coaches, the team, and the system. That also keeps players fresher.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Yeah and those are all mistakes he made a lot of last season. I think there's a certain amount of "rust" you can expect in preseason but since they're continued mistakes then it is pretty concerning that this is what we're going to get this season if he's given minutes

I'd be okay with Girardi being given 3rd pairing sheltered minutes and taken off the PK. That's the most sensible solution to this situation.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY

He's been skating since July.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Face a mirror and say Lundqvist is bad three times and Nevesis will appear behind you.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Face a mirror and say Lundqvist is bad three times and Nevesis will appear behind you.

Ha, it's not like someone suggesting that Lundqvist not playing yet in preseason games isn't completely ridiculous or anything when he has skated with guys in Sweden all summer, practiced for 3 straight weeks with Team Sweden before spending a week in Toronto practicing and playing a few games, and coming back to New York for the first time in 4 months, god forbid the coach gives him a few days to get his life and family settled back in the city.

Oh yeah and he was practicing in Westchester earlier today with the split squad.

Maybe we should focus on things that actually matter? More cuts are coming and players will be ready to start the season. This isn't the 80's or 90's where training camp was where players got in shape for the season. These guys are ready to go weeks before they even show up to the MSG Training Center.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It's not hank guys Christ it's AV putting a lack of urgency on the players. Telling hank to take a week off. He didn't even want to do that.

Playing scrubs this late instead of letting pairs gell

How does it help vesey get used to NHL playing with ahlers?

Why is lapierre playing 3 nights in a row 20 mins a game?

Holden has played once? Just got here

Hayes once?

Gropp gets his first shot on a 4th line?

Hate the way he runs his camps

Do we even have to ask? A mother ****ing V.

Lapierre will make this team, and all year we'll be hearing "we know what he adds." No, Alain. No we don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad