vs

TIME | 7:00 PM ET VENUE | PRUDENTIAL CENTER - NEWARK, NJ TV | MSG, MSG+ 2

[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="ONLINE STREAMS/RADIO"]
ONLINE STREAMS: NOT ALLOWED | RADIO FEED: CLICK HERE

[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="NEWS & NOTES"]

GAME LINKS:

Game Preview - Last Matchup; NYR@NJD 2/23/16 - NHL.com - RANGERS.com - DEVILS.com
NY Post - NYDN - Rangers Report - MSG.com - Yahoo Sports - ESPN - CBC - SNET - TSN

AROUND THE LEAGUE:

aroundtheleague.png

PRESEASON SCHEDULE:

preseasonschedule.png

[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="QUOTES TO NOTE"]

We’re trying to make an impression right now, and the harder we push each other and the better we work together the bigger impression we’re going to make.
There’s competition in the lockerroom, but at the same time, if we’re all doing well, we’re all going to get noticed.
- Brandon Pirri

Putting on this jersey is something I’ll never forget.
- Jimmy Vesey

There’s no doubt that there’s an improvement. You can tell Dylan’s more confident in his abilities.
He’s trying to make plays defensively. He’s using his long reach and strength and he has to continue that moving forward.
- Alain Vigneault

[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="NEW JERSEY DEVILS"]

PROJECTED LINES:

LW | C | RW HALL | HENRIQUE | BENNETT CAMMALLERI | ZACHA | SPEERS BOUCHER | ZAJAC | PALMIERI BLANDISI | JOSEFSON | PELLY

LD | RD GREENE | LOVEJOY MOORE | QUINCEY AUVITU | MERRILL

Scratched
|

STARTING GOALIE:

Schneider-Cory.png

Cory Schneider

INJURIES / SUSPENSIONS / MISC:

|

[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="NEW YORK RANGERS"]

PROJECTED LINES:

LW | C | RW
chris KREIDER | mika ZIBANEJAD | j.t. MILLER
jimmy VESEY | philip MCRAE | nicklas JENSEN
michael GRABNER | nathan GERBE | jesper FAST
ryan GROPP | maxim LAPIERRE | chris BROWN

LD | RD
brady SKJEI | adam CLENDENING
mat BODIE | dan GIRARDI
john GILMOUR | mike PALIOTTA

Scratched
|

STARTING GOALIE:

Raanta-Antti.png

Antti Raanta
*Magnus Hellberg

INJURIES / SUSPENSIONS / MISC:

|

[/FIELDSET]

bannerboys2.png

Last edited:

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Few interesting things about the lineup.

- Gropp and Paliotta finally get into a game. Intrigued to see what both have to offer.
- Gerbe being tried at center between Grabner and Fast which could be the 4th line. Hrivik was tried in the same spot on Thursday.
- Miller being given a chance with the Kreider/Zibanejad duo. Could just be him sliding in to that spot since Buchnevich played the last two but it should be interesting to see how that line works.
- Young and mobile D outside of Girardi. Another test for Clendenning to prove himself and a chance to see how Gilmour plays after coming off a good game Thursday.

And not to ***** about preseason games or anything like that but I'd rather have seen Fogarty center that line with Jensen and Vesey rather than having a career AHL'er in McRae play.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
And not to ***** about preseason games or anything like that but I'd rather have seen Fogarty center that line with Jensen and Vesey rather than having a career AHL'er in McRae play.

Agreed. Not getting it. Career AHLer on AHL contract gets start over a 23yo prospect on a 2-way. Makes little sense. :dunno:

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
That's a pretty high profile top 2 line spot for McRae to get. That's a weird choice for sure.

I don't know what playing Gropp on the 4th line does for him

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
if Fogarty doesn't play Sunday, something's up
we already know Nieves is dinged up

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Glad to see the Grabner-??????-Fast duo together again, hopefully this is Alaighne's plan on the fourth line with ??????? being either Gerbe or Jooris there when the season starts. Perhaps a Hrivik but he doesn't seem to be breaking out much. Might be doing all the right things Alen wants on his fourth line so it could be interesting. If the situation holds true, We might see a three way battle between Gerbe, Jooris, and Hrivik as the fourth line center with Lapierre as the outside shot. I have to imagine Grabner is absolutely set in the fourth line to start the season. I would also think Alane has enough trust and comfort with Fast so that looks good to start the season. Boy I hope Grabner can stay healthy or else it's a one way ticket to Glass Town.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
If Kreider, Stepan, Nash, Zuccarello, Miller, Mika, Hayes are 7 of 9 top spots, then there are two remaining between Buchnevich, Vesey, and pirri. Pirri is looking dynamite offensively so what happens at this point?

If they make Pirri the 9/13 man, who comes out for Pirri whenever Alen feels the powerplay or offense needs a boost? It's not a smart idea to be sitting Vesey and Buchnevich who both need to play to progress. Neither will benefit from playing at the AHL level especially once we hit November and they've started to adjust well to the NHL.

Maybe someone in the top 9 will switch down to the fourth line but Alan wants a PK defense grind energy line so who slots there and who comes out? Good problem to have but at the same time, someone is getting the shaft and it will be a detriment to one of our players. Pirri would have to be the man that gets the shaft since Buchnevich and Vesey are both organizationally more important. Someone has to get traded at this point.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
If Kreider, Stepan, Nash, Zuccarello, Miller, Mika, Hayes are 7 of 9 top spots, then there are two remaining between Buchnevich, Vesey, and pirri. Pirri is looking dynamite offensively so what happens at this point?

If they make Pirri the 9/13 man, who comes out for Pirri whenever Alen feels the powerplay or offense needs a boost? It's not a smart idea to be sitting Vesey and Buchnevich who both need to play to progress. Neither will benefit from playing at the AHL level especially once we hit November and they've started to adjust well to the NHL.

Maybe someone in the top 9 will switch down to the fourth line but Alan wants a PK defense grind energy line so who slots there and who comes out? Good problem to have but at the same time, someone is getting the shaft and it will be a detriment to one of our players. Pirri would have to be the man that gets the shaft since Buchnevich and Vesey are both organizationally more important. Someone has to get traded at this point.

Vesey and Buch aren't used to rigors of 82 game season. They could be given days off from time to time to keep them fresh.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
This will be a very telling game for Vesey. Let's see if he can be the catalyst on that line.

And if we're not using playing on a line with Nash and Hayes as a purpose that maybe Vesey "looked as good as he did" last night, then I don't want to see anyone talking about his linemates tomorrow night as an excuse for why he may not look that great.

This could just be drunk me talking. that's definitely possible, yes.

Trade Miller, sign Nakladal, etc...

Last edited:

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Vesey and Buch aren't used to rigors of 82 game season. They could be given days off from time to time to keep them fresh.

They'll be fine. Rookies do that just fine nowadays let alone two semi-pros. Not exactly a great reason for scratching a capable young player throughout the season.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
They'll be fine. Rookies do that just fine nowadays let alone two semi-pros. Not exactly a great reason for scratching a capable young player throughout the season.

I don't see an issue with Vesey/Buch playing 60/65 games this season.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
This will be a very telling game for Vesey. Let's see if he can be the catalyst on that line.

Definitely agree. I think that as long as he makes McRae not lag behind, it should be good. Jensen should be able to hold his own opposite of Vesey. McRae is the unknown here.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago

And if we're not using playing on a line with Nash and Hayes as a purpose that maybe Vesey "looked as good as he did" last night, then I don't want to see anyone talking about his linemates tomorrow night as an excuse for why he may not look that great.

This could just be drunk me talking. that's definitely possible, yes.

Trade Miller, sign Nakladal, etc...

and for opposite reasons Skjei will be a player to watch. Away from Girardi how does he look. I thought Skjei was the better player on their nightmare pairing. We'll see who was hurting who more, of if they both just suck rn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad