GDT: PS #3 - 10/01/16 | RANGERS @ devils | 7:00 PM - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

emodwarf

Oct 12, 2009
Boston. Sucks.
AV wasting the preseason as always.

Uses the first 20 games to figure things out. Stupid strategy and why we always look lost starting the year.

Devils iced basically their entire team tonight. Some teams actually sense urgency

Yes, that sense of urgency that comes with playing their fifth preseason game. After they've already cut the equivalent players the Rangers are still evaluating since this was the Rangers' third preseason game.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
It's not hank guys Christ it's AV putting a lack of urgency on the players. Telling hank to take a week off. He didn't even want to do that.

Playing scrubs this late instead of letting pairs gell

How does it help vesey get used to NHL playing with ahlers?

Why is lapierre playing 3 nights in a row 20 mins a game?

Holden has played once? Just got here

Hayes once?

Gropp gets his first shot on a 4th line?

Hate the way he runs his camps
Completely agree with you on this. I feel like every season of AV here with the Rangers he's seemed to lack urgency usually only playing one game of the preseason with almost the full roster. Wasting a lot of time on guys who won't sniff the NHL this season.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Lol are people legitimately upset that Henrik isn't playing? He's getting a game or game and a half before preseason ends. I don't know why you'd want him to play anymore considering he's already got 4 or 5 games under his belt with a few of those having a ton of workload in game.

TurgePurge*

Must be a bunch of NFL fans or something who are used to seeing their first stringers get all the preseason reps.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Completely agree with you on this. I feel like every season of AV here with the Rangers he's seemed to lack urgency usually only playing one game of the preseason with almost the full roster. Wasting a lot of time on guys who won't sniff the NHL this season.

McRae shouldn't have been playing. That's just a complete waste. Lapierre playing all 3 concerns me because to me it means they want to get a real good look at him, especially with Jooris down.

Chris Brown is another waste too. I don't mind playing kids and prospects but having Brown and McRae in is just a complete waste. If we're counting Lapierre that's 3 forwards that really have no business being in camp at this point taking up spots in a game.

Defense I didn't have an issue with the guys dressed but I think it's time to make another set of cuts. Brown, McRae, Bodie, Paliotta, Gropp, Nieves, Fontaine, Tambellini, Andersson, Day, Graves, Hughes, Summers, and Hellberg can all go.

Leaves them with 22 forwards, 9 defensemen, and 3 goalies. I left Kovacs, Stromwall, and Fogarty up front as I'd like to get another look at the first two and a look at the latter. Also they have a back to back on Monday/Tuesday. Maybe for that reason you keep another D around too.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I'd rather get another look at Gropp with how he played rather than Stromwall.

Wouldn't bother me, I just wanted to get another look at the Stromwall - Kovacs duo.

To be honest, all of those guys could go anyway. I think 19 (18 not counting Lindberg) forwards with 3 games to play is more than enough anyway.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
So answer the question why is he not playing ? I been skating since was 11 and i still suck

To think all the years when Henrik failed to achieve 1.000 save percentage, he should have just skated aimlessly despite the best judgement of his coaches and goalie coach.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Vigneault has always been a big fan of a long evaluation process during camp for the depth players. Gorton is probably keen on getting a real good look at some of the prospects we have now that a lot of them are close to reaching NHL potential.

The 1 week break between the last day of preseason and our first game on the second day of the regular season is a lot of time to hold a proper camp for the roster players. If I were guessing, that's the thought process by Vigneault and co. Take a good look at the kids for 3 games and prepare 3-4 call up depth players then focus on the opening night roster in the final 2-3 games and have a week of practices and systems stuff before the season opener.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
He's been skating since July.

WHY WHY WHY WHY do you bother ever answering silly nonsense? Let the irritating opinions on Hank go. When he's gone in 3-4-5 years, and they're calling out the new goalie that's not half as good, that's when you quote that nonsense. Turn your Hank alarm off.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I dont mind saving players - pre seasons ain`t worth anything. So I can defend AV`s reasoning to test out young players.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
I'd be okay with Girardi being given 3rd pairing sheltered minutes and taken off the PK. That's the most sensible solution to this situation.

It's hard to see how it would work.

Maybe:

McD/Klein
Staal/Clendening? (Staal needs a puck-mover.)
Skjei/Girardi

I'd rather see Skjei/McIlrath on the third pair. Which then might be a second pair.

Best is for Girardi not to be playing at all. But that won't happen. He'll probably be with McDonagh again. Yeesh.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
It's hard to see how it would work.

Maybe:

McD/Klein
Staal/Clendening? (Staal needs a puck-mover.)
Skjei/Girardi

I'd rather see Skjei/McIlrath on the third pair. Which then might be a second pair.

Best is for Girardi not to be playing at all. But that won't happen. He'll probably be with McDonagh again. Yeesh.

Girardi cant play with Skjei. Would destroy him with his horrible CF%. The had the worst CF% in the game a couple of days ago when they played together and Skjei looked awful. I dont think G will be a healthy scratch either(he shouldnt play anymore, not good enough imo) so i have no clue how it will turn out.

Would like to see:

Mcdonagh-Klein
Staal-Clendening/Mcilrath
Skjei-Mcilrath/Clendening

Highly doubt Girardi will be scratched until he gets bought out which im pretty confident he will be prior to the expansion draft. No reason to play him other than his horrible and huge cap hit.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
You all have no idea how many times I'll peek in here, see comments like that Henrik comment and then pull the old Abesimpsonnope.gif.

I'm curious to see what happens with Girardi. I have to think the coach realizes what's wrong. But I honestly think they have no replacements for his minutes and are determined to say eff it and just ride out his contract here: Come hell or....ok well it's just hell.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I have to say that whule I did not get to watch last nights game, I am not dying over the result. Most of their starters were playing where we sat a major chunk of our starters.

A 5-4 loss sucks when out of context, but in context, this was a good night.

would expect a round of cuts before the next game and more starters playing as well.

Have no issues with what AV is doing this preseason. With good competition in camp, you have to give everyone an equal opportunity to show what they can do.

Mika still going strong is great sign, as is Clendening.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Didn't watch the whole game, but did watch 2 plays Girardi made. First was he got the puck behind the net, skated to his right with NO PRESSUE at first and instead of passing, he held until there was pressure and coughed it up.

Two things came to mind, first it was WTF are you doing? Second it dawned on me that he must not have had an outlet pass available to him. I wonder if our forwards are not moving enough in the neutral zone to offer our D more outlet opportunities?

Later in the game I saw him make a very solid outlet pass to a man in motion that put the debbies on their heels almost immediately. A solid pass under light pressure.

Ultimately I'm not sure that he is the best fit for an AV coached team. I don't think he's as bad as the numbers would indicate. I think he may be a serviceable defender in a less complicated system. He would do well on a Torts coached team. Not advocating a trade or proposing one, just making a comment and an observation

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Oh you get a week vacation after a whole week of work too? Must be nice.

This coach lets everyone ease into the season here. Don't like it never have.

Whole week? This line of reasoning border on ridiculous. The guy has played 3 games against, basically, NHL all star teams - he doesn't need to be evaluated against scrubs from the Devils. Doesn't it make a lot more sense to see what your future G prospects do than seeing what you already know you have?

I don't think anyone in the NHL would imply that Lundqvist doesn't work hard - by all accounts he's one of the hardest working goalie's in the NHL.

You should be concerned about Girardi. Not Lundqvist.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
Girardi cant play with Skjei. Would destroy him with his horrible CF%. The had the worst CF% in the game a couple of days ago when they played together and Skjei looked awful.

Yes, that is not a good option. Girardi-Staal is also a bad pair. So the only other lefty is McDonagh, which would put Girardi back on the first pair.

It seems we don't have the personnel to put G in a sheltered, 3rd-pair role.

Highly doubt Girardi will be scratched until he gets bought out which im pretty confident he will be prior to the expansion draft. No reason to play him other than his horrible and huge cap hit.

I really wonder what they will do. They will probably give him every chance (and then some).

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
Didn't watch the whole game, but did watch 2 plays Girardi made. First was he got the puck behind the net, skated to his right with NO PRESSUE at first and instead of passing, he held until there was pressure and coughed it up.

Two things came to mind, first it was WTF are you doing? Second it dawned on me that he must not have had an outlet pass available to him. I wonder if our forwards are not moving enough in the neutral zone to offer our D more outlet opportunities?

Later in the game I saw him make a very solid outlet pass to a man in motion that put the debbies on their heels almost immediately. A solid pass under light pressure.

Ultimately I'm not sure that he is the best fit for an AV coached team. I don't think he's as bad as the numbers would indicate. I think he may be a serviceable defender in a less complicated system. He would do well on a Torts coached team. Not advocating a trade or proposing one, just making a comment and an observation

When Girardi first came into the league his first pass was a strength. That was with very defensively responsible forwards who came back deep into the defensive zone, though.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Disagree
If you actually took the time to follow the careers of Clendening and Holden, there's all the justification in the world on why that fantasy is not a reality and the NYR have invested a lot in McIlrath to just simply lose him on waivers..

Unfortunately, I've looked into the last three seasons of Girardi and concluded that he is no longer an NHL defenseman, and perhaps it's time to put some faith into younger players who have careers ahead of them that are probably currently better than G.

It's been time to move on, and the Rangers are handcuffed by a deal that didn't work out at all. It happens, and it's unfortunate.

I really don't think there is any justification to have G in the opening night lineup over McIlrath, Clendening, or Holden at this point. I'd include Gilmour here as well (who I think has outplayed Skjei specifically in the two preseason games he has played), but Gilmour shouldn't play the right side.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Wouldn't bother me, I just wanted to get another look at the Stromwall - Kovacs duo.

To be honest, all of those guys could go anyway. I think 19 (18 not counting Lindberg) forwards with 3 games to play is more than enough anyway.

Was Gropp a C at some point in Jrs?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Rink rust is real. Sometimes you can go 2 months without playing without rust and feel great but other times you can feel rust after not playing for 2 weeks. My point is dont get too high or too low over players in mixed squad preseason games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino