Player Discussion "Prince Antti" Raanta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
That might've been the worst goaltending we've got all season. His teammates didn't help out, but he was awful, gave the team no chance to win.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Raanta claims he saw the game winning goal the whole way. I hate to pile on, but an NHL goalie has to stop Cal Clutterbuck's perimeter wrist shot that he sees the whole way.

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
Sadly, this is what makes him a back up. I LOVE his personality. I think he's great for this team. However consistency is the name of the game, and that's what separates the top tier goalies from the back ups. Granted, as many others have pointed out, our team was garbage in front of him last night.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Cam Talbot, and Henrik Lundqvist both get beat by that Clutterbuck shot. Sorry for all those who want to pretend that it was Raanta's fault we blew the game in the final minute.

Don Jaroodi*

Can we stop calling him "Prince Antii"?

More like "Court Jester Antii"

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Cam Talbot, and Henrik Lundqvist both get beat by that Clutterbuck shot. Sorry for all those who want to pretend that it was Raanta's fault we blew the game in the final minute.

i would totally and completely disagree with this assessment. thats a very stoppable shot.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The Rangers traded Ryan Haggerty who they signed for nothing for Anti Raanta last off-season. Haggerty has 10 points in 28 games (most likely injured) and at 23 years old, most likely does not have a NHL future.

Raanta, for all of the quips and shots he gets, has been a good back-up goalie for this team. On top of that, the guy makes less then a million on the cap. Quietly this turned out to be a very solid trade for Gorton

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
The Rangers traded Ryan Haggerty who they signed for nothing for Anti Raanta last off-season. Haggerty has 10 points in 28 games (most likely injured) and at 23 years old, most likely does not have a NHL future.

Raanta, for all of the quips and shots he gets, has been a good back-up goalie for this team. On top of that, the guy makes less then a million on the cap. Quietly this turned out to be a very solid trade for Gorton

Raanta has been fine. Hes pretty inconsistent though, but thats to be expected from a backup. The Islander game was an atrocity.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Raanta has been fine. Hes pretty inconsistent though, but thats to be expected from a backup. The Islander game was an atrocity.

Not playing for long stretches that happens.

8-5-2
.912 sv pct
2.47 GAA

That's a solid back-up. I think all you can ask from a back-up is to go .500 honestly, he's better than that.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

i dont like his extremes...hes either all world, or a piece of swiss cheese. i prefer my backup to be more consistent. he doesnt need to steal me games, but he need to damn well not lose me games.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Is it surprising to anyone else that he's only 26 and only has 57 NHL games to his name?

I think he's been just fine as far as a backup is concerned and like Viper said, he was acquired for essentially nothing. More wins than losses is a big plus, even if he pitched a couple stinkers. Out of the 15 games he's started, he's earned the team at least a point in all but 5 games.

ijk

Oct 3, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Hello,

I was just scrolling through Raanta's gamelog and noticed that his performance by the numbers has been quite topsy-turvy. From the 3rd of December to February the 12th he started only 4 games, and in each and everyone of these starts he had a sv% well below 90%. However, after that he has started in 6 games (+1 game in relief of Lundqvist) in which he has had an average save percentage of 93,2%. In these games he has let in 13 goals in 191 shots against, and of these goals 5 were in one game against the Isles.

So my question is: Is his change in numbers more related to his performance fluctuating on a nightly basis, or has the team changed its style of play? Raanta was good at the beginning of the season and now he is also playing formidably. However, during the middle stretch his numbers were quite awful.

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
Hey guys,

I don't follow the Rangers in any particular manner, but I used to like Raanta when he played in Finland. When Lundqvist eventually retires or declines so much as to be more of a backup, does Raanta look like a good successor, or is he more of a good backup who can handle a lower workload but struggle to transition to playing a full season?

I realize this question is convenient due to the timing, but it was the recent win and his stats this season that inspired me to ask it.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
Hey guys,

I don't follow the Rangers in any particular manner, but I used to like Raanta when he played in Finland. When Lundqvist eventually retires or declines so much as to be more of a backup, does Raanta look like a good successor, or is he more of a good backup who can handle a lower workload but struggle to transition to playing a full season?

I realize this question is convenient due to the timing, but it was the recent win and his stats this season that inspired me to ask it.

I don't think Raanta will be Lundqvists successor but I do think he is more than a backup he is really really good. Since Allaire got his hands on him I think he has become a legit starting goaltender. I expect to lose him to Las Vegas. It looks like Igor Shestyorkin will be Henriks successor.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah, he's really good. Been better than Lundqvist for over a year now, which is controversial to say, but true. That speaks both to his improvements and Lundqvist's decline.

I think Raanta could be a starting goalie in the NHL, I just don't think that's happening with the Rangers. I doubt they would ever bench Lundqvist in favor of Raanta, and if he keeps playing really well, I suspect he'll get a chance to play elsewhere before Lundqvist retires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad