Player Discussion "Prince Antti" Raanta

Status
Not open for further replies.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
my how times have changed

i never thought i would ever be happy to hear henrik lundqvist isnt starting 2 games in a row when hes healthy.

:amazed:

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
A great game by Raanta. I still think Hank should start next game.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
Ride the hot goalie. Forget pedigree and the past. Raanta is hot right now and Hank isn't. This is how these things go. Raanta is gonna play himself out of NYC and right into Vegas, though. Then we've got some crap years watching Hank decline impressively at $8.5M while Shestyorkin is still in Russia. Not all of our backups will be good. Prepare for a rough ride, ppl. We're not used to mediocrity in net.

GOAT AINEC

Soon..
Jun 4, 2014
Ride the hot goalie. Forget pedigree and the past. Raanta is hot right now and Hank isn't. This is how these things go. Raanta is gonna play himself out of NYC and right into Vegas, though. Then we've got some crap years watching Hank decline impressively at $8.5M while Shestyorkin is still in Russia. Not all of our backups will be good. Prepare for a rough ride, ppl. We're not used to mediocrity in net.

If things stay like this, they would be crazy not to try and get rid of Hank. If he keeps getting benched he might request a trade or just retire.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Its not as bad as you claim.

Lets just go over the worst case scenario for the goalie situation.

Hank will get to the end of the year before any big changes are made. If we don't win the Cup, its possible changes might be made. Regardless, whether its Hank getting the chance to play his way into better form or Raanta playing for the rest of the season, we are covered at goalie for the rest of the year. Next season, even if for some reason Hank is not on the team, we are probably only playing one season without a starter level goalie, if Raanta can't be considered one. If we play poorly, we could even get a top pick for what is looking like one of the best drafts in years for 2018. Then after that, Shestyorkin's contract can be bought out in Russia, he can join the team for 2018-19.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
So...Nhl and KHL are equal now ? The Russian kid just walks into NHL and assumes #1 spot...has that happened a lot ? LOL....I would not count on that just yet...:)

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Maybe if Raanta lose this match - Hank in next game?
Just unusual for a backup goalie to get 3 matches.

I don't look at it as a negative. It gives Hank some Benny time to practice, analyze tape, see what teams are doing this season, make adjustments with his team in front.

Annti is on right now, and the team is also leaking high quality chances.

Other teams adjusted to how the Rangers are playing. They started pressing the Red Line to stop the stretch pass. They're forcing more carries, or dump-ins.

Hank goes through this bi-annually it seems. Last time it happened was in late 2013 and that also came after some systemic adjustments. It will be fine imo. Rangers just sorely need a 4th man-in option on every D-Pair.

Right now it's McD and Skjei mostly, and those two haven't been studs lately.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
Need to play Lundqvist. He's the starter and a few below average games doesn't change that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad