Player Discussion "Prince Antti" Raanta

Status
Not open for further replies.

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
I seem to remember some kid from Sweden walking in and doing excellently just that
It's not saying anything against Shesty to note that Hank had a far greater body of work and was pretty much the best goalie in Europe before he came to the NHL. He was very, very well established.

In fact, I was amazed that everyone was so surprised when Hank excelled in the NHL.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
I seem to remember some kid from Sweden walking in and doing excellently just that

LOL....That is true....but what is the chance of catching lightning in a bottle twice ? I think also that Henrik had some decent performances on the World stage....not sure if the Russian kid has achieved that status yet...but again...not that he can't....he could be Tretiak SP? by then . Pray that it happens....:)

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
It took Weeks getting injured. I think folks forget that. Granted, he would've taken it from him sooner rather than later.

I still disagree with this. In the 24 games prior to Weeks getting injured (against the thrashers in Nov) Hank started 13 games to Weekse' 11, the Thrashers game made 13 -12 in favour of Hank. After the first 2 games of the season, Weeks only started 3 game sin crow once, and he never started a game after a loss.

It was clearly a goalie rotation rather than a clear cut #1/#2 kind of thing, but from my memory it was pretty clear early on in the season that Hank was the preferred starter, and the games played stats seem to flesh this out. the Weeks injury just solidified what we'd already seen

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I still disagree with this. In the 24 games prior to Weeks getting injured (against the thrashers in Nov) Hank started 13 games to Weekse' 11, the Thrashers game made 13 -12 in favour of Hank. After the first 2 games of the season, Weeks only started 3 game sin crow once, and he never started a game after a loss.

It was clearly a goalie rotation rather than a clear cut #1/#2 kind of thing, but from my memory it was pretty clear early on in the season that Hank was the preferred starter, and the games played stats seem to flesh this out. the Weeks injury just solidified what we'd already seen

You can "disagree" all you want. It wasn't until Weeks was injured that Hank was the #1 guy. The games played tell the story, man.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
So the fact that Hank had played more games up until the injury shows the Weeks was the starter?

It shows that there was no starter. They were 1A and 1B. I'm not sure why you think an even split of games somehow means Hank was the clear cut starter. He was not. The injury is what gave him the starting job. It ended the debate (not that there should have been one much longer).

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Does anyone remember why Lundqvist wasn't given the keys to the castle sooner than December 2005? Why split with Weekes, who didn't have a history with the org, when he was clearly ready for full-time duties--at least in my mind? I don't remember the story at that time.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
It shows that there was no starter. They were 1A and 1B. I'm not sure why you think an even split of games somehow means Hank was the clear cut starter. He was not. The injury is what gave him the starting job. It ended the debate (not that there should have been one much longer).

No, I literally said there was no clear #1/#2 thing going on after the first week of the season, so saying that Weeks only lost the #1 job to injury was incorrect. If we work on the assumption that Weeks came into that season as #1, that was gone by the first few games and they were platooning the position. Weekes' injury cemented Hank as the starter, the #1 position had been lost by Weeks a month prior

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
No, I literally said there was no clear #1/#2 thing going on after the first week of the season, so saying that Weeks only lost the #1 job to injury was incorrect. If we work on the assumption that Weeks came into that season as #1, that was gone by the first few games and they were platooning the position. Weekes' injury cemented Hank as the starter, the #1 position had been lost by Weeks a month prior

What don't you get here? The original poster said Hank walked in and took the #1 job (which was inaccurate). Someone then said that he did not walk in and assume the #1 job (which was correct). I then responded that it took Weeks getting injured for him to assume the #1 job (which was correct). You disagreed for some random reason and were wrong. I tried to correct you by saying that there was no #1 goaltender for the organization and now you're still disagreeing for some random reason. No one ever said that Weekes was a clear cut #1 here. He was decidedly not.

Hank only became the #1 guy after Weekes was hurt. There's no disagreeing with that as it is an actual fact.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Does anyone remember why Lundqvist wasn't given the keys to the castle sooner than December 2005? Why split with Weekes, who didn't have a history with the org, when he was clearly ready for full-time duties--at least in my mind? I don't remember the story at that time.

He had a good year with Carolina the year prior as a starter and by all accounts is just a great dude.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
What don't you get here? The original poster said Hank walked in and took the #1 job (which was inaccurate). Someone then said that he did not walk in and assume the #1 job (which was correct). I then responded that it took Weeks getting injured for him to assume the #1 job (which was correct). You disagreed for some random reason and were wrong. I tried to correct you by saying that there was no #1 goaltender for the organization and now you're still disagreeing for some random reason. No one ever said that Weekes was a clear cut #1 here. He was decidedly not.

Hank only became the #1 guy after Weekes was hurt. There's no disagreeing with that as it is an actual fact.

I still don't get the "it took an injury" line with regard to Hank being the #1, he was well on his way anyway IMO. But I've also realised I don't give that much of a crap about how you view so we can just leave it there

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I still don't get the "it took an injury" line with regard to Hank being the #1, he was well on his way anyway IMO. But I've also realised I don't give that much of a crap about how you view so we can just leave it there

Because it did. He ran away with the starting position once Weekes went down. If you want to be wrong, you can disagree again.

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014
Hey guys,

I don't follow the Rangers in any particular manner, but I used to like Raanta when he played in Finland. When Lundqvist eventually retires or declines so much as to be more of a backup, does Raanta look like a good successor, or is he more of a good backup who can handle a lower workload but struggle to transition to playing a full season?

I realize this question is convenient due to the timing, but it was the recent win and his stats this season that inspired me to ask it.

What Raanta is realistically remains to be seen. He's played about 35 games in NY, I believe roughly the same in Chicago. Therefore, he does not have the time played to say anything concretely as of yet, has never had to carry the pressure or load as a team's starter, particularly in the playoffs, so estimating what he is truly capable of would be largely conjecture. He's thus far having an excellent season and is trending really well, but I wouldn't feel comfortable giving you much beyond that.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I dont care if a team has the best goalie in the world, and we do, when your backup is hot you don't take him out. Don't need to play goalie to know that, but you do to fully understand why. Sorry HunterGathers lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad