Confirmed with Link: PLD to the Kings for Iafallo, Vilardi, Kupari and a 2nd in 2024 (orig Mtl’s pick)

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The only way this would have turned out better…. Is if we were able to get the same return for the Jets and we were able to dump this bum on the Hab / Montreal organization.

It would have been just another example of the brain farts in charge of Montreal going to great lengths searching for the great White /polka dotted / they /them French hope player they so desire and screwing up the works in the process.

( see Drouin for Serchazev (T.B.) trade as most recent example)!!!!

Can you imagine him in Montreal. They would be eating him alive. Drouin seems to have rebounded since getting out of that market.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Remember when prominent members of the local Winnipeg media thought the Jets should dump Scheifele and anoint Dubois as the rightful future team leader? They evidently misread the Jets' team dynamic quite badly.
Schiefele after taking a puck to the noggin last night in the 3 rd period was on the ice just to celebrate with his teammates after the 5-0 shut out victory .

Pierre Luc Dub…… would have been his locker stall in his civies ( clothes) calling his agent to complain about his boo boo.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
I just went to the Kings board to check out the posts from the last week or so in their Dubois thread.

Ouch. I almost feel bad for PLD. Almost.....
Don’t feel bad at all. PLD deserves everything he gets. And LA can suck it, teams that won in the last 10-15 years don’t get any sympathy from me.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I just went to the Kings board to check out the posts from the last week or so in their Dubois thread.

Ouch. I almost feel bad for PLD. Almost.....

Maybe it's because I don't watch too many games, but I've never hated PLD as a person myself. Watching his interviews, my impression has been that he's a guy who does not speak well, seemed very timid/uncomfortable with public speaking. I wouldn't be surprised if he has mental health issues (i.e. depression, anxiety).

Based on his on-ice product, where he can be absolutely dominant when he brings it (like the CBJ/Leafs series where he single-handedly owned the Leafs) but then has LONG stretches where he looks disinterested, he seems like a guy who has amazing natural talent but not a love of the game or the discipline/dedication/mental fortitude necessary to maintain good play. I believe this happens in every profession, you will get people who actually hate their job, but are good at it, and they stay with it despite hating it because it pays the bills.

It probably sticks out more in NHL, because the vast majority of players only got to "the game" by being 100% dedicated at all times. But you'll get the occasional "freak of nature" who has so much natural talent that he got to the NHL without needing that level of dedication and intensity.

I think PLD could have been an amazing player if he had that love of the game and dedication.

Kind of similar to Laine but in different ways, actually. I guess they both attract hate, PLD seems to get more around here but that's probably recency bias.

End of the day, I think we're better off with Vilardi/Iaffalo/Kupari/whatever that 2nd turns into than we would be with either Laine or PLD so I hold no animosity towards either of them. More a touch of melancholy over what could have been for both of them and the league if they both had more dedication to their craft.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Maybe it's because I don't watch too many games, but I've never hated PLD as a person myself. Watching his interviews, my impression has been that he's a guy who does not speak well, seemed very timid/uncomfortable with public speaking. I wouldn't be surprised if he has mental health issues (i.e. depression, anxiety).

Based on his on-ice product, where he can be absolutely dominant when he brings it (like the CBJ/Leafs series where he single-handedly owned the Leafs) but then has LONG stretches where he looks disinterested, he seems like a guy who has amazing natural talent but not a love of the game or the discipline/dedication/mental fortitude necessary to maintain good play. I believe this happens in every profession, you will get people who actually hate their job, but are good at it, and they stay with it despite hating it because it pays the bills.

It probably sticks out more in NHL, because the vast majority of players only got to "the game" by being 100% dedicated at all times. But you'll get the occasional "freak of nature" who has so much natural talent that he got to the NHL without needing that level of dedication and intensity.

I think PLD could have been an amazing player if he had that love of the game and dedication.

Kind of similar to Laine but in different ways, actually. I guess they both attract hate, PLD seems to get more around here but that's probably recency bias.

End of the day, I think we're better off with Vilardi/Iaffalo/Kupari/whatever that 2nd turns into than we would be with either Laine or PLD so I hold no animosity towards either of them. More a touch of melancholy over what could have been for both of them and the league if they both had more dedication to their craft.
I agree. I thought for the most part Dubois played hard for us and I enjoyed his time here.

As for his exit circumstance, as with everything nowadays I think the herd mentality and everyone getting whipped up and turning rumors into facts really led to this negative sentiment towards him.

I'm super happy we made the deal we did for him and hey, if he wanted to stay we'd be complaining about him instead of being 1st oa so, thank you pld!

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I agree. I thought for the most part Dubois played hard for us and I enjoyed his time here.

As for his exit circumstance, as with everything nowadays I think the herd mentality and everyone getting whipped up and turning rumors into facts really led to this negative sentiment towards him.

I'm super happy we made the deal we did for him and hey, if he wanted to stay we'd be complaining about him instead of being 1st oa so, thank you pld!

Agree. There were long streches where he stood out for his effort and -- yep -- even consistency in terms of bringing a strong game night in and out even as the team floundered. He was good with KFC -- before the line was broken up, natch -- and quite a few pundits and posters wondered aloud at the wisdom of trying to extend PLD over 55, who was (at that point) widely derided for his exit interview(s), perceived lack of buy-in, crap D play and attitude, etc.

I work in a profession with its fair share of challenges (especially in the UK at the moment) and where plenty of talented, well-meaning people just burn out or have to step away for a bit. It's hard to watch. but I don't tend to think badly of them as people, even when we end up picking up the pieces (not literally, at least most of the time).

I think of PLD as a complicated personality who for the most part played well here in WPG, did not notably coast very often, and did us a solid by helping out in his own trade. He had some great games and stretches here, and maybe he finds his feet eventually in LA.

Does he love hockey more than life itself? No, but he shouldn't have to, really. That's a fan (maybe coach?) expectation, and it isn't always healthy.

Go in peace, PLD -- you made us a much better team. To paraphrase the Bard: "Nothing in his career with the Winnipeg Jets became PLD like the leaving of them."

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Yeah, Winnipeg's not for everyone, as I like to say. And I do sympathize somewhat with players wanting to have a say in where they play...but otoh, less desirable franchises would have an even more difficult time attracting and retaining talent than they do now, so I'm not a UFA absolutist.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Went and checked out the Kings forum, they are wanting PLDs contract bought out but think Blake doesnt want to admit this as a massive failure by doing so.

Not missing PLD at all.

That would be a crazy buyout - but they'd save money ($15M or so?) if they buy him out before his 26th birthday on June 24, 2024.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Went and checked out the Kings forum, they are wanting PLDs contract bought out but think Blake doesnt want to admit this as a massive failure by doing so.

Not missing PLD at all.

That goal to be fair is not all on him. LA #91 skates through Hagel in the slot getting neither the puck nor the body. Although that clip does highlight one of my annoyance with PLD, he has 3 inches and 40+lbs on Hagel and yet somehow gets knocked off stride and away from his route by Hagel, always used to exasperate me to see a guy so big and so strong lose battles.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
NOPE THE TRADES ACTUALLY GOING GREAT FOR LA DONT WORRY ABOUT IT

kid-crying-interview.gif

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
That goal to be fair is not all on him. LA #91 skates through Hagel in the slot getting neither the puck nor the body. Although that clip does highlight one of my annoyance with PLD, he has 3 inches and 40+lbs on Hagel and yet somehow gets knocked off stride and away from his route by Hagel, always used to exasperate me to see a guy so big and so strong lose battles.
Not all on him, but with even some effort he could of easily knocked the man off thepuck. The amount of I Don’t Give a F#@k on that play was in abundance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad