Confirmed with Link: PLD to the Kings for Iafallo, Vilardi, Kupari and a 2nd in 2024 (orig Mtl’s pick)

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
2nd round picks for Winnipeg:

2022: Elias Salomonsson (Sweden)
2021: Nikita Chibrikov (AHL Moose)
2020: Daniel Torgersson (AHL Moose)
2019: Simon Lundmark (AHL Moose)
2018: David Gustafsson (JETS)
2017: Dylan Samberg (JETS)
2015: Jansen Harkins (PENGUINS)
2013: Nic Petan (Iowa AHL)
2013: Eric Comrie (SABRES)
2012: Lukas Sutter (retired)

Jets have not had the best of luck in the second round. Samberg is the best player that we have selected. Gustafsson, Harkins, Petan, and Comrie are borderline NHL players. Chibrikov is the player that looks most promising, as he leads the Moose in scoring at 20 years of age.
maybe the last 2 become something of note in the NHL, they get a lot of hype on here as if they're surely to become NHL super stars. they're still in the TBD bucket though imo. but otherwise from what i gather the Jets have not done to great in the 2nd round historically so far.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Quick question to test memories here. PLD was in the top 20 in NHL scoring last december and off to a red hot start. I know late in the season he picked up a concussion but I seem to recall when our team dropped like a stone in January did PLD not miss some time with another injury too? I just can’t remember.

All I remember is that they went on that east coast trip in the January including a game at Montreal and he was awful starting around that time.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
I really like Iafallo as well. I think people have been focusing too much on his recently middling offence but he always has some strong defensive play most nights.

Our fourth line looked really good with Kupari. He will be a bonus when he’s back as he at least can drive offensive zone time

My point being that it’s not as if those two players are suddenly worthless - they definitely add more to the jets

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
maybe the last 2 become something of note in the NHL, they get a lot of hype on here as if they're surely to become NHL super stars. they're still in the TBD bucket though imo. but otherwise from what i gather the Jets have not done to great in the 2nd round historically so far.
I feel like you sometimes take regular praise of a prospect as somebody saying they're going to become stars. I've said Chibrikov has star potential, I don't recall anybody saying he's a sure fire star (maybe somebody has). I don't think Salomonsson has star potential at all and I don't recall anybody saying that he does. I've seen some gaudy expectations for his point totals that I find strange because he doesn't really produce as is in the SHL.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
I really like Iafallo as well. I think people have been focusing too much on his recently middling offence but he always has some strong defensive play most nights.

Our fourth line looked really good with Kupari. He will be a bonus when he’s back as he at least can drive offensive zone time

My point being that it’s not as if those two players are suddenly worthless - they definitely add more to the jets
Who do you even take out on the 4th.. they’ve all been playing great. I’d be sending Kupari for a conditioning stint in the AHL if they can… no one deserves to come out.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
2nd round picks for Winnipeg:

2022: Elias Salomonsson (Sweden)
2021: Nikita Chibrikov (AHL Moose)
2020: Daniel Torgersson (AHL Moose)
2019: Simon Lundmark (AHL Moose)
2018: David Gustafsson (JETS)
2017: Dylan Samberg (JETS)
2015: Jansen Harkins (PENGUINS)
2013: Nic Petan (Iowa AHL)
2013: Eric Comrie (SABRES)
2012: Lukas Sutter (retired)

Jets have not had the best of luck in the second round. Samberg is the best player that we have selected. Gustafsson, Harkins, Petan, and Comrie are borderline NHL players. Chibrikov is the player that looks most promising, as he leads the Moose in scoring at 20 years of age.
That's why I always laugh when people get mad we give up 2nd round picks in trades

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
That's why I always laugh when people get mad we give up 2nd round picks in trades
Just out of curiousity, I looked back at the 2013-15 NHL drafts, and counted how many players drafted in the second round, actually played an NHL games. The results are as follows:

2013- 24
2014- 18
2015- 18

However, many of those players never really made an impact (i.e Petan, Comrie, Harkins). The players that has 300+ games on their resume, were as follows:

2013- 7
2014- 5
2015- 9

IN other words, there is roughly a 67% chance that a 2nd round pick will play at least one NHL games, and a 25% chance they will have a relatively lengthy career in the NHL.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Just out of curiousity, I looked back at the 2013-15 NHL drafts, and counted how many players drafted in the second round, actually played an NHL games. The results are as follows:

2013- 24
2014- 18
2015- 18

However, many of those players never really made an impact (i.e Petan, Comrie, Harkins). The players that has 300+ games on their resume, were as follows:

2013- 7
2014- 5
2015- 9

IN other words, there is roughly a 67% chance that a 2nd round pick will play at least one NHL games, and a 25% chance they will have a relatively lengthy career in the NHL.
Nice. Yeah I think the general consensus was 20%. Which I guess isn't terrible but still nothing to worry about in a trade

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
The trade is definitely getting meme'd to death for LA fans haha.

Trying not to get too cocky while PLD is struggling. His numbers will get back to normal eventually.

I do think Iafallo and Kupari were kind of irrelevant to the Kings and Chevy wisely used that to his advantage. Basically sold Iafallo as a cap dump when he essentially replaced Copp role for us which has been quite valuable. Chevy probably weasled the 2nd out of them for being "forced to take" Iafallo :laugh:

But the part about Vilardi for Dubois being crazy as Vailardi may be both better and cheaper? That part is working out as well as we could have imagined. Vilardi is slower but basically putting up Mark Stone type numbers.

Everything this team has needed (more two way forwards that help score and defend) arrived all at once it feels like. And they are helping get the most out of the guys who don't have the defensive talent.

Namestnikov Niederreiter then Vilardi Iafallo basically leveled up our overall team defense so much we went from being a terrible defensive team under Maurice and Lowry to a top defensive squad in the league with pretty average defensive personnel... 1/3 of the forward corps is a big plus defensively and the scoring hasn't dropped off much if at all.

Not saying anything anyone doesn't know, just excited for what is next. Maybe adding more two way talent is a good idea...

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

Trying not to get too cocky while PLD is struggling. His numbers will get back to normal eventually.

I do think Iafallo and Kupari were kind of irrelevant to the Kings and Chevy wisely used that to his advantage. Basically sold Iafallo as a cap dump when he essentially replaced Copp role for us which has been quite valuable. Chevy probably weasled the 2nd out of them for being "forced to take" Iafallo :laugh:

But the part about Vilardi for Dubois being crazy as Vailardi may be both better and cheaper? That part is working out as well as we could have imagined. Vilardi is slower but basically putting up Mark Stone type numbers.

Everything this team has needed (more two way forwards that help score and defend) arrived all at once it feels like. And they are helping get the most out of the guys who don't have the defensive talent.

Namestnikov Niederreiter then Vilardi Iafallo basically leveled up our overall team defense so much we went from being a terrible defensive team under Maurice and Lowry to a top defensive squad in the league with pretty average defensive personnel... 1/3 of the forward corps is a big plus defensively and the scoring hasn't dropped off much if at all.

Not saying anything anyone doesn't know, just excited for what is next. Maybe adding more two way talent is a good idea...
Thank you for sharing. I enjoyed reading that. Hope you have a Merry Christmas, if you celebrate it

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

To Kings fans' credit, an overwhelming majority were strongly opposed to the move on day 1. Considering that they got the best player in the deal, it speaks to their hockey knowledge to be right on that.

I wouldn't agree on Iafallo having been irrelevant, but rather that LA had no better way to dump cap. Iafallo averaged over 17 minutes a night during his tenure on the Kings, but with all kinds of expensive forwards on payroll, one had to go to make room for PLD. As I said before and after the trade, Chevy must have known that taking a cap dump was inevitable - and he did a magnificent job ensuring that the cap dump was an actual player on a manageable deal. As for Kupari, your point stands much stronger. It's a shame that even here, there doesn't seem to be much of a shot on offer for him.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012

To Kings fans' credit, an overwhelming majority were strongly opposed to the move on day 1. Considering that they got the best player in the deal, it speaks to their hockey knowledge to be right on that.

I wouldn't agree on Iafallo having been irrelevant, but rather that LA had no better way to dump cap. Iafallo averaged over 17 minutes a night during his tenure on the Kings, but with all kinds of expensive forwards on payroll, one had to go to make room for PLD. As I said before and after the trade, Chevy must have known that taking a cap dump was inevitable - and he did a magnificent job ensuring that the cap dump was an actual player on a manageable deal. As for Kupari, your point stands much stronger. It's a shame that even here, there doesn't seem to be much of a shot on offer for him.

Yeah LA had to get rid of one of Iafallo/Arvidsson/Moore this summer for cap purposes... all three similar wingers with similar caphits. Wouldn't be surprised if the LA GM asked Chevy to take any one of those 3 guys and they picked Iafallo for his defensive impact and a more managable term than Moore and this was obviously before Moore went off this season.

Like I said this trade isn't as crazy for them as it looks. Iafallo they needed to get rid of. Kupari they have similar bottom-6 forwards and Vilardi's loss is somewhat cushioned by Byfield and Moore's emergance and when PL gets his act together.

All of this highlights the importance of good depth. Definitely props to the Jets pro-scouting for identifying Nino (who was obvious) and also Vlad and Vilardi (who were not so obvious targets).

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
before Moore went off this season.
Some food for thought: Moore was signed in December 2022, and the five-year term likely was a no-go for Chevy in the Dubois deal. If that deal hadn't happened and Moore had been an RFA in June 2023, would we have received him instead of Vilardi in a Dubois trade? The Kings would have had the room necessary to keep Vilardi on a bridge deal, and a so-so 2022-23 season from Moore would likely have deterred GM Blake from re-upping him to a sizable extension.

On the other hand, we definitely would not have been happy with that change even without hindsight, but with the Kings being less cap-strapped, our negotiating position would have been far, far worse. Perhaps there would have been a better pick or something involved. Who knows, but the idea is quite interesting to me.

Anyway, with Moore having 16 goals on the year already (!) and Vilardi having been a star for us, I think there's reason for everybody to be content with how things have turned out.

RestlessYoungZero

Jul 10, 2011
PLD has been demoted to the Kings 4th line.
1704849859080.gif

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
View attachment 800174

Yeah ! Seems about right!
The only way this would have turned out better…. Is if we were able to get the same return for the Jets and we were able to dump this bum on the Hab / Montreal organization.

It would have been just another example of the brain farts in charge of Montreal going to great lengths searching for the great White /polka dotted / they /them French hope player they so desire and screwing up the works in the process.

( see Drouin for Serchazev (T.B.) trade as most recent example)!!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad