GWT: PL Matchweek 21

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Yet none have all time great close to the players you mentioned. Ribery/Robben both on the decline when Pep rolled in. Mind you he takes blame for not making the necessary adjustments.
Completely irreverent. Soccer is a more team oriented game than basketball.

Reactions: S E P H

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Too bad Matip got injured on the last kick against Napoli. He and Gomez should start together when fit and VvD isn't available.

Reactions: Chimaera

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Guardiola inherited Barca team that won CL 2 yrs prior with recent Ballon Dor winner and upcoming Messi. And half the Spanish NT that destroyed international football. Only won 2 CL titles, but everyone started romanticizing his tiki-taka style.

Jumps ship to Bayern the recent Treble winners. Fails to win CL even after buying Lewandowski, but dominates 1 team league.

As the team is aging and declining, he jumps to Man City where he gets the financial backing to spend country's GDP. Under-performed badly in first season, seemingly conquered England in year 2 and is bottling it in year 3.

Great manager, but I am more impressed with what Pochettino, Conte and Klopp have done in recent seasons. Stylistically he is probably the best, but I still like Klopp's style of play better.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Lovren did have a bad game today but it is just one bad game over the last 12-15 months or so. If Liverpool had scored twice and they should have we wouldn't be talking about this. Klopp chose the wrong midfield for this game, Fabinho should have started. I think Klopp knows that as well, but I believe he thought Milner would have more energy after his rest and he didn't.

Reactions: Chimaera and YNWA14

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Lovren did have a bad game today but it is just one bad game over the last 12-15 months or so. If Liverpool had scored twice and they should have we wouldn't be talking about this. Klopp chose the wrong midfield for this game, Fabinho should have started. I think Klopp knows that as well, but I believe he thought Milner would have more energy after his rest and he didn't.
How Hendo continues to start is a mystery.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
How Hendo continues to start is a mystery.

I think he's eventually going to be replaced in the squad by Alexander-Arnold. TAA is going to be moved back into his natural position in midfield, it's just a matter of when. Sometimes in these big games TAA is destroyed in defense, but he offers a hell of a lot on the ball as seen on the goal. He is also NOT a right back and nothing's going to change that.

But after what happened today I don't think Henderson will start much unless it's further forward in midfield where his lack of technique matters less. Fabinho is too good with the ball to not play.

The result isn't devastating, but it sucks knowing that Liverpool were 1 cm away from being seven points clear of City after playing them.

Reactions: Fred McCarthy

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Milan was not stacked in 2010. They got knocked out in the Copa by Udinese (15th in the league) Got annihilated by Manu in the rd16 in CL. And finished 3rd in the league closer to 5th then they were to second place Roma.

LOL at Juve 7th in the league that year.

Yeah I was just talking about Serie A in that time period, not 2010 alone. The Serie A of the 2000s was strong and put out s lot of good teams. Nothing to take away from Inter that year, but Mourinho didn’t put Serie A on the map there the way some comments read.

I remember that Milan-United matchup. 4-0 at OT to finish it off. A little revenge for 2007.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I don’t think he’s going back in the midfield. Klopp likes his fullbacks to play the ball too much.

He didn’t have a great day, but he also was being targeted. I think Klopp was willing to concede that with the hope to get joy going forward as you can’t stop everything. He’s also still so young. Defense will improve

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
When did Mourinho win League titles with a small team?
I think someone made that post, but for the life of me, I can't imagine anyone saying that.
He had easily the best/most expensive portugese team, won the league.
He had easily the best/most expensive english team, won the league.
He had easily the best/most expensive spanish team, won the league.

I was mostly being sarcastic and also seemed like a good time to post a smug Mourinho face :)

His domestic titles certainly weren’t underdog stories, but his CL titles were solid. Granted still not small club winning the league style.

Reactions: Evilo

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
First off, that had to be by far the most uninspired 4-1 win I have ever seen in any sporting event. Arsenal were truly terrible and would have been absolutely wrecked if it was a stronger opponent.

Second off, nice to see Liverpool lose and how the mighty Invincibles keep their record until Arsenal two years from now in the future eventually break it. I am mega pissed off though, I didn't freakin' realise this game was going to be played this week and didn't DVR it. NBCSN really dropped the ball in terms of marketing for this match.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
A four point lead is great. We need to stay free from an injury crisis but overall I love our chances.

Liverpool has also NOT played their best going forward yet.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
A four point lead is great. We need to stay free from an injury crisis but overall I love our chances.

Liverpool has also NOT played their best going forward yet.
You sure? First place and only one loss on the season? They might not look amazing on the eye-test, but perhaps taking a bit off the offence game for the sake of defencive unity might be more the case.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
You sure? First place and only one loss on the season? They might not look amazing on the eye-test, but perhaps taking a bit off the offence game for the sake of defencive unity might be more the case.

Firmino has stunk in front of goal until this week.

Clinical finishing is lacking quite a bit, they're getting some chances but not finishing them all that great.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Well at least the Liverpool supporters can rest assured that the result or the table don't matter since Liverpool won the league last week.

Scored by the best 9 in the world.

Umm, no.

When did Mourinho win League titles with a small team?
I think someone made that post, but for the life of me, I can't imagine anyone saying that.
He had easily the best/most expensive portugese team, won the league.
He had easily the best/most expensive english team, won the league.
He had easily the best/most expensive spanish team, won the league.

It's bad enough someone suggested it, but people actually latched onto it. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. And just to add to what you said, Porto accused (and I think found guilty) of nonsense with domestic referees at the time. And I'll add this:

Had easily the best italian team when other teams were suffering from Calciopoli, won the league.

Chelsea were small club before Mou

Yet they were in the CL Semis as already noted and also had Abramovich's money which they used to outspend every other team.

Doesn't matter, basketball is more individualistic sport.

It does matter, but if it didn't then it's a stupid analogy to even bring it up. You trying to have it both ways and you can't.

Not really. Guardiola coached amazing/best teams only. Jackson coached amazing/best teams only. That is where the comparison is.

Yeah, and Guardiola has delivered the following in 9 seasons:

-7 league titles
-4.5 cups
-2 CLs

That's an amazing track record. I'll also question how "amazing" City is relative to the rest of the league. People can moan about how much City has spent, but Guardiola's fingerprints are all over a lot of players and it's not like all that money was well spent. On top of that he's also had his only good LB available for 13 starts out of 58 possible league matches and thus had to rely on the likes of Fabian Delph, Oleksandr Zinchenko and Aymeric Laporte.

Guardiola inherited Barca team that won CL 2 yrs prior with recent Ballon Dor winner and upcoming Messi. And half the Spanish NT that destroyed international football. Only won 2 CL titles, but everyone started romanticizing his tiki-taka style.

Jumps ship to Bayern the recent Treble winners. Fails to win CL even after buying Lewandowski, but dominates 1 team league.

As the team is aging and declining, he jumps to Man City where he gets the financial backing to spend country's GDP. Under-performed badly in first season, seemingly conquered England in year 2 and is bottling it in year 3.

Great manager, but I am more impressed with what Pochettino, Conte and Klopp have done in recent seasons. Stylistically he is probably the best, but I still like Klopp's style of play better.

Yeah, and Trump is a self-made man who at most only ever got 1 million from his father and Sarah Palin can see Russia from her house.

Managers don't win Championships ...big wages do ....

Managers alone don't, but a manager can have as big if not more an influence than big wages.

I was mostly being sarcastic and also seemed like a good time to post a smug Mourinho face :)

His domestic titles certainly weren’t underdog stories, but his CL titles were solid. Granted still not small club winning the league style.

I wouldn't call his CL title with Inter solid.

Most Liverpool fans I have seen online are doing the same.

Well about a week or so back they weren't doing the same here. They were pretty much saying Liverpool winning the league was done and dusted with half the season to play.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Well about a week or so back they weren't doing the same here. They were pretty much saying Liverpool winning the league was done and dusted with half the season to play.

it's funny how quick things can change in the world of sport ;)

Fred McCarthy

Dec 26, 2018
It me ..Gritty!
Well at least the Liverpool supporters can rest assured that the result or the table don't matter since Liverpool won the league last week.

Umm, no.

It's bad enough someone suggested it, but people actually latched onto it. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. And just to add to what you said, Porto accused (and I think found guilty) of nonsense with domestic referees at the time. And I'll add this:

Had easily the best italian team when other teams were suffering from Calciopoli, won the league.

Yet they were in the CL Semis as already noted and also had Abramovich's money which they used to outspend every other team.

It does matter, but if it didn't then it's a stupid analogy to even bring it up. You trying to have it both ways and you can't.

Yeah, and Guardiola has delivered the following in 9 seasons:

-7 league titles
-4.5 cups
-2 CLs

That's an amazing track record. I'll also question how "amazing" City is relative to the rest of the league. People can moan about how much City has spent, but Guardiola's fingerprints are all over a lot of players and it's not like all that money was well spent. On top of that he's also had his only good LB available for 13 starts out of 58 possible league matches and thus had to rely on the likes of Fabian Delph, Oleksandr Zinchenko and Aymeric Laporte.

Yeah, and Trump is a self-made man who at most only ever got 1 million from his father and Sarah Palin can see Russia from her house.

Managers alone don't, but a manager can have as big if not more an influence than big wages.

I wouldn't call his CL title with Inter solid.

When the two top of the table teams took to the pitch today the players running out cost the two clubs over a billion £ . , never mind the obscene money they paid for wages. Except for Blackburn( 4 highest wages) and Leicester ( 14th highest wages ) all premier league titles have been won by a top 3 wage paying team . Managers have a lot to do with success but not as much as money for transfers and wages .Titles are bought .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad