GWT: PL Matchweek 21

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I understood that "should" as in "they have no excuse not to". Not as "I think they will".

Even so I think it was premature and overconfident based on what I just said in my last post. There's plenty of excuse not to win at this point with the first being Manchester City.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
When you're unbeaten and 7 points over City (nobody seriously think Spurs are in it), they have every reason to think losing would be some kind of choke job.
Liverpool almost doesn't drop points. Like at all. If they perform as well down the stretch, City can't catch them with 7 points back.
That was the reasonning and I understand it.
LITN made a much more terrible statement when he said Liverpool would have no trouble getting through in a CL group with PSG and Napoli ;)

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I disagree. If you're playing that well and still only 7 points up on a City side without de Bruyne and without Mendy with a fixture against them on the horizon then there's no reason to think it's choke job if they lose considering it was 12/26. Were City a different side or non-existent, then yeah I agree with you because I too don't think Spurs are in it. However City is there and they're real as yesterday demonstrated and losing the title to them despite a 7 point lead at Christmas isn't a choke job. They could have had a 10 point lead and were they to fail to win the title I still wouldn't call it a choke job.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
10 points in front with an unbeaten streak? Yes, that'd be a choke job. That'd imply Liverpool to lose at least 3 times after not being beaten once in the first 19 games.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
10 points in front with an unbeaten streak? Yes, that'd be a choke job. That'd imply Liverpool to lose at least 3 times after not being beaten once in the first 19 games.

Still not a choke job if you ask me when it's City weren't talking about here and it's only the midway point of the season. Leagues are won with 5 losses so losing it with 3 losses is by no means a choke job in my book regardless of being undefeated at Christmas. To each their own I guess.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Meh losing 3 games and at least drawing 1 in 19 games after 16-0-3 in the first 19...
And let's be honest, City would drop points somewhere as well. So at LEAST 4 losses.

Yeah I'd call that a choke job.

Anyway, it's all moot, 4 points isn't much and every game will be a cup final.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
No, I don't think it was reasonable when you consider there was still half the season to play, City were still mathematically in it with yesterday's fixture right on the horizon and the reason City weren't in a great position vis a vis Liverpool was down to City not performing and having some key injuries as much if not more so as was how Liverpool were performing. I don't care and I don't have a horse in the race nor do I think the commentary was too overboard, but there were a couple of posts that I thought were looking well ahead when they shouldn't have been.
We see a lot of history about New Year leaders winning the league an overwhelming percentage of the time, and teams with seven point leads at the New Year not failing to win the league since 1888. Basically there's a lot of precedent suggesting that if Liverpool does not win the league given the lead it had at the New Year, it will be a historic slip.

Reactions: Fred McCarthy

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I think Spurs are in it. They're too close, with too much to play to really think they're not. Liverpool could fade, they still have City to play. I don't think they're the favorites, but they're not completely out of it. Injuries, crapping out of CL or the Cups... who knows.

I don't think it's anyone's race, but Liverpool's schedule where they have most of their top 6 at home (only United away), and only Spurs and Chelsea to come at home, it should give them some chance. Being out of the League Cup could also help. I think City is really going to go for it in the CL. Having a lead right now, I think anyone would have been happy to take that as a Liverpool supporter.

But I do think City are still the favorites, just with having done it before, and probably a deeper roster.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I'm okay with saying Tottenham is in it, but they have an even smaller margin for error than the two teams ahead of them. It's a tough jump for them to make but don't let me tell them not to believe.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I'm okay with saying Tottenham is in it, but they have an even smaller margin for error than the two teams ahead of them. It's a tough jump for them to make but don't let me tell them not to believe.

Losing Son for 5 matches or so while he plays in the Asian Cup is killer.

Fred McCarthy

Dec 26, 2018
It me ..Gritty!
In the last 125 Premier League games , Man City has a grand total of 6 more points than Tottenham. In the last 5 years , ManCity has a net transfer expenditure of 505,000,000£....In the last 5 years Tottenham has a net transfer expenditure of 18,500,000£ ... 26 times less than City

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
In the last 125 Premier League games , Man City has a grand total of 6 more points than Tottenham. In the last 5 years , ManCity has a net transfer expenditure of 505,000,000£....In the last 5 years Tottenham has a net transfer expenditure of 18,500,000£ ... 26 times less than City
In the last 5 years Tottenham has won 0 trophies.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
But I do think City are still the favorites, just with having done it before, and probably a deeper roster.

Both bookies and statisticians have Liverpool as favourites despite the loss yesterday. That said tempering expectations is not bad idea given Liverpool have had their fair share of heartbreak in recent campaigns.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Only cause they didn't spend half a billion £ on transfers , that's before you tackle wages . Almost all Premier League titles were bought.... at a massive price . Man City , Chelsea and Man U should be proud of their purchase
You can't win without spending. I hate it but you take the good with the bad. I can't wait till the market resets but you have mid table EPL clubs flushed with cash...

Fred McCarthy

Dec 26, 2018
It me ..Gritty!
You can't win without spending. I hate it but you take the good with the bad. I can't wait till the market resets but you have mid table EPL clubs flushed with cash...
" without Spending BIG "which means only a trio can buy the title , with the odd one off winning one every decade or so .
When the premier League started , they pretty well stole the football Leagues 50% TV money . By 94 -95 Manchester United brought in 13% of all revenue generated by all 92 teams in all Leagues , 20 % of all Premier League money . The Premier League was a lesson in greed , and Man U was its best student . Took awhile for Chelsea and ManCity to catch them financially but since they did , it was no free ride for Man U anymore. I wish the " Super League " would form and send the trio to it , along with Your Barcelonas , Madrids , Bayerns and such .

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
" without Spending BIG "which means only a trio can buy the title , with the odd one off winning one every decade or so .
When the premier League started , they pretty well stole the football Leagues 50% TV money . By 94 -95 Manchester United brought in 13% of all revenue generated by all 92 teams in all Leagues , 20 % of all Premier League money . The Premier League was a lesson in greed , and Man U was its best student . Took awhile for Chelsea and ManCity to catch them financially but since they did , it was no free ride for Man U anymore. I wish the " Super League " would form and send the trio to it , along with Your Barcelonas , Madrids , Bayerns and such .

What PL team are you a fan of out of curiosity?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Spurs couldn't beat Leicester for the EPL. Heck that year, they couldn't even beat Arsenal.
No excuse that year about money.

Fred McCarthy

Dec 26, 2018
It me ..Gritty!
Spurs couldn't beat Leicester for the EPL. Heck that year, they couldn't even beat Arsenal.
No excuse that year about money.
Man U , Man City and Chelsea and their billions couldn't snatch the EPL from Leicester either . This decade's " One Off "....
It was almost a double one off.All EPL titles won by the either 1st, 2nd or 3rd highest wage paying teams for over a quarter century except Leicester's 14th highest payed wages . I'm glad I was alive to witness the basic " Miracle " by " The Foxes".

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yes but don't say it all has to do with money when it was Leicester and Spurs couldn't do better than 3rd.

Fred McCarthy

Dec 26, 2018
It me ..Gritty!
Yes but don't say it all has to do with money when it was Leicester and Spurs couldn't do better than 3rd.
But it does all have to do with money , except for this only title you can elude too . A one off . One year , that you elude too , is the the entire foundation for your statement .. whereas my foundation is built on the rest of a quarter century .

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Personally I think it's hilarious that so many people don't think Spurs are even in it, but I imagine their fans are used to it by now

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Only cause they didn't spend half a billion £ on transfers , that's before you tackle wages . Almost all Premier League titles were bought.... at a massive price . Man City , Chelsea and Man U should be proud of their purchase

Don't forget, Tottenham were one of the so called 'big five' of the 80s who pushed for the creation of a Premier League with the very aim of escalating the financial advantage the richest clubs held over the rest. They never objected to the principle of money buying success, they just failed to foresee that the monstrous baby they begat would lead to the invasion of English football by the overseas gangster capitalist class whose pumping of bloodstained / dubiously acquired funds into other clubs left North London's second most successful club struggling to catch up.

To what degree Spurs have been held back by a lack of financial clout is a moot point. After the Great Step Forward of 2015/16, they were in the position where they could afford to spend £30 million on a single player. Well, I say 'player', but given the chap they splashed out on was Moussa Sissoko, perhaps another word would be more appropriate. And the decision to sign Sissoko followed £17 million being thrown at something called Vincent Janssen.

The big problem Spurs have is their self-imposed wage structure. And 'self-imposed' needs to be put up in lights. When you analyse their financial results since 2014, it's plain they could have spent more on player salaries without undermining the club's economic stability. They simply chose not to do so. So I'd suggest they aren't plucky underdogs deserving of sympathy. They are landed aristocrats sulking that the staff have the temerity to want to earn the same as the chaps employed by the estates nearby.

Notoriously, the exception to all this fiscal prudence is the stipend made to the man who oversees it - Daniel Levy. Mind, we know Levy is a genius because he's been at Spurs since 2001 without being sacked for delivering no more than one League Cup. And perhaps he also deserves reward for having absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the recruitment of Spurs' talisman, Harry Kane.

Hilariously, a cursory study of the internet reveals some Tottenham fans donning their pom-poms and praising the increased sponsorship deals Levy has achieved for Spurs in recent times. From my perspective, such has been the positive vibe surrounding Kane, Ali, Pochettino, Champions League qualification and the new stadium that it would have been a tougher achievement for a London club to have failed to up their commercial income.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad