GWT: PL Matchweek 21

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
When did Mourinho win League titles with a small team?
I think someone made that post, but for the life of me, I can't imagine anyone saying that.
He had easily the best/most expensive portugese team, won the league.
He had easily the best/most expensive english team, won the league.
He had easily the best/most expensive spanish team, won the league.
Right, it's an absurd claim.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
It goes to show how ridiculous the money issue is when we're considering Atletico and Dortmund to be small clubs.

History lesson required then. When Klopp won the title with Dortmund they had just been bankrupt. Had signed players from illustrious leagues in Japan, Chile and Poland. Let's be clear that they should have been a big club but they were absolutely not a big club.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
When did Mourinho win League titles with a small team?
I think someone made that post, but for the life of me, I can't imagine anyone saying that.
He had easily the best/most expensive portugese team, won the league.
He had easily the best/most expensive english team, won the league.
He had easily the best/most expensive spanish team, won the league.
Well he won a Champions League with both Porto and Inter. Porto was definitely the top Portuguese team, but they were still small compared with the competition there. Inter is a big club, but more in the Dortmund/Atletico scale than Barca, Real, Manchester United, etc. League titles probably isn't accurate as someone claimed, but he has had great success with 2nd tier clubs at least.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Well he won a Champions League with both Porto and Inter. Porto was definitely the top Portuguese team, but they were still small compared with the competition there. Inter is a big club, but more in the Dortmund/Atletico scale than Barca, Real, Manchester United, etc. League titles probably isn't accurate as someone claimed, but he has had great success with 2nd tier clubs at least.
Inter was still pretty stacked though. Jose is like the Ken Hitchcock of soccer. He has a very simple defensive approach, which is easy to implement, very successful, but doesn't last long.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
History lesson required then. When Klopp won the title with Dortmund they had just been bankrupt. Had signed players from illustrious leagues in Japan, Chile and Poland. Let's be clear that they should have been a big club but they were absolutely not a big club.

Fair enough

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

Italy was stacked then. AC Milan and Juve had been to multiple CL finals the previous years

Reactions: Cassano

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Fair enough

Yeah, ordinarily I would agree, but ten years ago that team was absolutely piss garbage.

They had a good team before that but they'd made about 20 horrendous signings due to lack of funds and ruined it, and they still had minimal funds when Klopp won the title there.

Pep is in my opinion the best coach arguably ever at managing egos and expectations. When he left his two other clubs, he did it on his terms after winning a load of silverware. At improving players he's pretty great too, but not quite as great as some other managers.

The way people say he's Phil Jackson, some people are too young to remember that Michael Jordan didn't get to the Finals without Phil Jackson. Doug Collins won a few playoff rounds. The only full season the Bulls played without MJ they really should have been in the Finals. Game 5 of the ECF had some of the worst calls ever. Point being, Phil Jackson did show he could do great work with a team that wasn't as good as two of the other Eastern Conference teams.

Maybe someday Pep will take on a job like that, but looking at his bank account I can't imagine why he would.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yeah, ordinarily I would agree, but ten years ago that team was absolutely piss garbage.

They had a good team before that but they'd made about 20 horrendous signings due to lack of funds and ruined it, and they still had minimal funds when Klopp won the title there.

Pep is in my opinion the best coach arguably ever at managing egos and expectations. When he left his two other clubs, he did it on his terms after winning a load of silverware. At improving players he's pretty great too, but not quite as great as some other managers.

The way people say he's Phil Jackson, some people are too young to remember that Michael Jordan didn't get to the Finals without Phil Jackson. Doug Collins won a few playoff rounds. The only full season the Bulls played without MJ they really should have been in the Finals. Game 5 of the ECF had some of the worst calls ever.

Is there anybody you would compare Pep to if it's not Phil Jackson?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Italy was stacked then. AC Milan and Juve had been to multiple CL finals the previous years
Milan was not stacked in 2010. They got knocked out in the Copa by Udinese (15th in the league) Got annihilated by Manu in the rd16 in CL. And finished 3rd in the league closer to 5th then they were to second place Roma.

LOL at Juve 7th in the league that year.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Is there anybody you would compare Pep to if it's not Phil Jackson?

Bill Parcells. Also bear in mind what happened to Bill Parcells when he did try to coach some bad teams. It's also a lot harder to win in the NFL.

It takes everything to go your way in order to win. This year, if City doesn't, the first place they will look at is the training room. Way too many players hurt the last two years including some of the ones they bought last summer. Mendy is a great player, but signing him was a gamble. He's missed tons of matches and not just at City.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

The way people say he's Phil Jackson, some people are too young to remember that Michael Jordan didn't get to the Finals without Phil Jackson. Doug Collins won a few playoff rounds. The only full season the Bulls played without MJ they really should have been in the Finals. Game 5 of the ECF had some of the worst calls ever. Point being, Phil Jackson did show he could do great work with a team that wasn't as good as two of the other Eastern Conference teams.

Maybe someday Pep will take on a job like that, but looking at his bank account I can't imagine why he would.
Phil Jackson comparison is reference due to him bandwagoning the top teams. Dude got to coach MJ, Shaq and Kobe's prime Lol.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Phil Jackson comparison is reference due to him bandwagoning the top teams. Dude got to coach MJ, Shaq and Kobe's prime Lol.

He stayed when things got tough though.

And my Lakers weren't better than the Celtics on paper in all honesty and still got two titles to their one.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Bill Parcells. Also bear in mind what happened to Bill Parcells when he did try to coach some bad teams. It's also a lot harder to win in the NFL.

It takes everything to go your way in order to win. This year, if City doesn't, the first place they will look at is the training room. Way too many players hurt the last two years including some of the ones they bought last summer. Mendy is a great player, but signing him was a gamble. He's missed tons of matches and not just at City.

Sounds like the New York Giants when they were contending in the Strahan era. If you were on that roster and played 5 games, you had a pretty good year.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
He stayed when things got tough though.

And my Lakers weren't better than the Celtics on paper in all honesty and still got two titles to their one.
Still he coached the Bulls and Lakers only, similar to Guardiola bandwagoning top teams.

Then he destroyed my Knicks and dipped.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Still he coached the Bulls and Lakers only, similar to Guardiola bandwagoning top teams.

Then he destroyed my Knicks and dipped.

The Bulls though, I mean, I don't think anyone really saw them becoming a team that great. The Pistons were a lot better than them and most people thought Larry Bird would be healthy for longer. Plus, Magic got HIV and Patrick Ewing wasn't as great as people thought he would be. There was definitely some element of good luck that played a part in the Bulls becoming what they were, and they also had a lot less talent throughout their roster than other teams. Some of those role players were garbage on other teams.

Reactions: Power Man

Fred McCarthy

Dec 26, 2018
It me ..Gritty!
Another bump in the road at Liverpool , Reds fans deserve medals enduring the past 30 years or so . Chin up , still hold a 4 point lead ...but 10 would have been glorious .. Good luck next game .

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Lovren : we will win WC
No

Lovren : we will win the CL
No

Lovren : we can go on unbeaten
No
Don't get me wrong all Liverpool fans hate him for a long time but somehow I respect that he has the cohones to make stupid claims

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
The comparison makes sense due to quality of inherited teams.
Yet none have all time great close to the players you mentioned. Ribery/Robben both on the decline when Pep rolled in. Mind you he takes blame for not making the necessary adjustments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad