GWT: PL Matchweek 14

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I really like this Villa team. Very well set up.

If they have had a half decent striker instead of the useless lump they got I could have seen them fighting for 7th.

Without too many injuries they should quite easily stay up.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I love the Fred/Periera midfield. Always works so well for us.

Quite absurd that they didn't bring in another CM during the summer.

Kind of funny Villa got three better players han Utd and Grealish that could also play in one of those roles if Villa want him to.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Kind of funny Villa got three better players han Utd and Grealish that could also play in one of those roles if Villa want him to.

Took forever to get couple of deals done (Lukaku, Maguire, Dybala thing) and not enough time to get anyone else done. And don't start on Fernandes...

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Took forever to get couple of deals done (Lukaku, Maguire, Dybala thing) and not enough time to get anyone else done. And don't start on Fernandes...

They should've gotten a CM in spite of those deals dragging on though?

Especially considering that those 3 players aren't even midfielders.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Yeah. And even if they had brought in a no 10 in Fernandes or second striker in Dybala it wouldn't have changed their central midfield.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

Well their two best midfielders are currently out, so I can see not adding another in the summer.

Pereirra/Fred being replaced by Pogba/McTominay would make a significant difference.

The bigger issue is that OGS is basically setting them up to fail with his tactics. Based on the personnel they have, they should clearly be trying to use their pace every chance they get with overlapping runs and long balls into space. They’re set up to do basically the opposite of that.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Well their two best midfielders are currently out, so I can see not adding another in the summer.

Pereirra/Fred being replaced by Pogba/McTominay would make a significant difference.

The bigger issue is that OGS is basically setting them up to fail with his tactics. Based on the personnel they have, they should clearly be trying to use their pace every chance they get with overlapping runs and long balls into space. They’re set up to do basically the opposite of that.

Sure. But I would have wanted to have more depth. Neither do I believe one gets the best out of Pogba as a CM in OGS formation. He should play in that no 10 role in my opinion (or OGS should have changed the formation allowing for a more roaming Pogba as a part of a three man midfield). Which would have given space for another CM in the squad.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Exactly... I don't think it's outlandish to think that there may have been a better playmaker that played before 2006.
And what is considered a chance created? If you go by this list Silva/mata/Payet and cesc are all better playmakers than iniesta and Xavi just off the top of my head that makes this list stupid and shouldn’t be taken serious. He’ll look at the site that listed it lol

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
They don’t need to get rid of VAR, they need to stop having morons run it. Virtually every other major league has implemented VAR very well. They need to stop caring so much about the letter of the law and care far more about the spirit of the game.

The outcome of the penalty was a save and a clearance. The fact that Aarons technically violated the rules to do it is ultimately irrelevant to the spirit of the result given that someone on Norwich was gonna do it anyway.

VAR is at it’s worst when it’s overturning plays where no players are complaining about the result.

That's kind of what I was saying when this whole thing started off. It's so hard to set a standard of "spirit the game" when there is a video review system like VAR. I just don't see VAR being able to strike that balance well, it leaves to much to be desired. Someone will always be left feeling slighted.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Mustafi's level of play would be unacceptable if he was playing for Norwich today, and they are likely headed for relegation. How this guy ever starts for Arsenal is shocking.

Chambers was also constantly out of position, but I'm not sure if that is an intentional Emery/Ljungberg tactical decision or not.

The one thing Emery had going for him was he left Mustafi out of Prem games, today was terrible ont he part of Msutafi. He genuinely looks lost playing the sport!

Chambers was definitely caught out on occasion but he has better overall positioning 1 on 1 and could at least make up for things that way. He was not beaten frequently today.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
And what is considered a chance created? If you go by this list Silva/mata/Payet and cesc are all better playmakers than iniesta and Xavi just off the top of my head that makes this list stupid and shouldn’t be taken serious. He’ll look at the site that listed it lol

And Messi. I mean I do think Ozil is one of the best playmakers of all time as he really was fantastic back in the day. But he isn't the greatest playmaker of all time when Cruyff, Messi, scholes(;))and Iniesta exist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad