GWT: PL Matchweek 14

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Actually it's not illegal. The rule is "Encroachment by players that has a direct impact on the outcome of the kick". They called the player who cleared the rebound for encroachment, which is a joke of a call.

As they should. Aarons did leave his line early and had direct impact on the play.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
As they should. Aarons did leave his line early and had direct impact on the play.
There were 3 Norwich players at that rebound with no Arsenal players even close. Aarons being a bit trigger happy had no impact on the play.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
If you're going to call what Aarons did encroachment, then you'd need to retake literally every penalty by laws. On the second attempt multiple players from both teams had a body part over the line. By rule, that's a retake.

On the picture above you can see 7 Norwich players and 3 Arsenal players encroaching. That happens on basically every single penalty, it's just a matter of how far encroaching players are.

Aarons wasn't insanely far in, hadn't touched the ground inside the area yet, and cleared the ball well before anyone from Arsenal was close to it, so it's not like the 2 feet he gained actually made a difference on the outcome.

Reactions: W75 and Blender

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
There were 3 Norwich players at that rebound with no Arsenal players even close. Aarons being a bit trigger happy had no impact on the play.

I guess I don't see the argument here. Aarons was trigger happy as you said and he encroached as a result... Having 3 Norwich players around the ball does not change that fact.

I agree that it's dumb that VAR has the power to overturn these little things that were once just par for the flow of play, but it was technically against the laws of the game.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I guess I don't see the argument here. Aarons was trigger happy as you said and he encroached as a result... Having 3 Norwich players around the ball does not change that fact.

I agree that it's dumb that VAR has the power to overturn these little things that were once just par for the flow of play, but it was technically against the laws of the game.
It changes the fact that the rule clearly states the encroaching player needs to impact the outcome of the kick. Aarons being a foot or two over the line had zero impact on that rebound being cleared, as no Arsenal player was getting to it before a Norwich player.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

The point is that if you're going to do it for cases where players are leaning over the line, basically every single saved penalty will be called back as the player who clears the rebound is virtually guaranteed to be leaning over the line simply due to the fact that basically every player around the box leans over the line at least a bit.

Everyone saw how bad VAR was in the women's world cup and the PL (and basically everyone else) set up their rules to intentionally avoid that joke. Rulings like this are essentially the same thing that made penalty VAR in the women's world cup a joke, finding small infringements that didn't impact the spirit of the rules.

Reactions: Blender

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
It changes the fact that the rule clearly states the encroaching player needs to impact the outcome of the kick. Aarons being a foot or two over the line had zero impact on that rebound being cleared, as no Arsenal player was getting to it before a Norwich player.

He clearly got to the ball first which impacts the kick. Auba was not far off.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
The point is that if you're going to do it for cases where players are leaning over the line, basically every single saved penalty will be called back as the player who clears the rebound is virtually guaranteed to be leaning over the line simply due to the fact that basically every player around the box leans over the line at least a bit.

Everyone saw how bad VAR was in the women's world cup and the PL (and basically everyone else) set up their rules to intentionally avoid that joke. Rulings like this are essentially the same thing that made penalty VAR in the women's world cup a joke, finding small infringements that didn't impact the spirit of the rules.

I think you are underplaying the "leaning over the line". Aarons was in full motion and a good ways over the line, he got to the ball first which definitely adds to the case against him.

I would be totally fine if we just got rid of the whole thing so we can avoid these conversations.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
He clearly got to the ball first which impacts the kick. Auba was not far off.
Aarons and Amadou both got there long before any Arsenal player could have, Zimmerman was also close enough and moving much quicker than Auba where I doubt Auba could have beaten him. If Amadou touched that ball, the play would have stood, which makes calling it back a massive joke.

YvKcWsG.png

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Arsenal's defense is actually impressively bad. Like it seems legitimately hard for players to be this bad.
Yet I had to argue on here a few weeks ago that Leicester had a better back line than Arsenal. :laugh:

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I may be wrong, but I can't ever recall encroachment actually being called until the implementation of VAR

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Auba was about 3 yards away from the ball and had given up on it. There were literally 4 Norwich players who would have got there before him.

That's great. Did Aarons leave early with a full head of steam? Was he the first to the ball? Is that legal? It does not matter that there were 3 people behind Aarons or what ever it is...

I don't like that Auba got to redo the pk as well and judging by our ongoing conversation it clearly shows the flaws in VAR. Just get rid of the system imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad