GWT: PL Matchweek 14

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Arsenal rescue a draw against Norwich and barely hold onto it over the last 10 minutes. Impressive.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
That's great. Did Aarons leave early with a full head of steam? Was he the first to the ball? Is that legal? It does not matter that there were 3 people behind Aarons or what ever it is...

I don't like that Auba got to redo the pk as well and judging by our ongoing conversation it clearly shows the flaws in VAR. Just get rid of the system imo.

They don’t need to get rid of VAR, they need to stop having morons run it. Virtually every other major league has implemented VAR very well. They need to stop caring so much about the letter of the law and care far more about the spirit of the game.

The outcome of the penalty was a save and a clearance. The fact that Aarons technically violated the rules to do it is ultimately irrelevant to the spirit of the result given that someone on Norwich was gonna do it anyway.

VAR is at it’s worst when it’s overturning plays where no players are complaining about the result.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Mustafi's level of play would be unacceptable if he was playing for Norwich today, and they are likely headed for relegation. How this guy ever starts for Arsenal is shocking.

Chambers was also constantly out of position, but I'm not sure if that is an intentional Emery/Ljungberg tactical decision or not.

Last edited:

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Yet I had to argue on here a few weeks ago that Leicester had a better back line than Arsenal. :laugh:

Arsenal have one of their 4 best defenders fit. Our defenders are decent on paper but the collective organisation is a joke.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Don't understand the hand wringing over the retake. Rice had an exact replica of this (against Liverpool?) and no one seemed to mind. They'd damn well better keep calling it this season.

There's a lot they'll need to rethink for VAR next season.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Arsenal have none of their 4 best defenders fit.
Even with them they still aren't better than Leicester's.

Luiz has started almost every game. Chambers has started 10/14. Kolasinac has started 11/14. Easy to argue that other guys should be starting, but they have featured in most of their league games.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Don't understand the hand wringing over the retake. Rice had an exact replica of this (against Liverpool?) and no one seemed to mind. They'd damn well better keep calling it this season.

It's a call that benefitted Arsenal.

Spurs scored a pen where they did the same thing (but scored), no one really mentioned a retake.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Mustafi's level of play would be unacceptable if he was playing for Norwich today, and they are likely headed for relegation. How this guy ever starts for Arsenal is shocking.

Chambers was also constantly out of position, but I'm not sure if that is an intentional Emery/Ljungberg tactical decision or not.

Chambers also could have easily been sent off. Two fouls that stopped chances after his yellow.

Reactions: Blender

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

I don't recall the details of that one specifically, but looking at the report it was on a penalty in the 86th minute of a game City were winning 3-0, so I can understand why people didn't care much.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I don't recall the details of that one specifically, but looking at the report it was on a penalty in the 86th minute of a game City were winning 3-0, so I can understand why people didn't care much.
Ah, City. Guess it was literally the first match of the season then.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Even with them they still aren't better than Leicester's.

Luiz has started almost every game. Chambers has started 10/14. Kolasinac has started 11/14. Easy to argue that other guys should be starting, but they have featured in most of their league games.

Why have Bellerin, Tierney and Holding not started this season? Because of injuries, they have not been fit. Holding > Evans, Tierney > Chilwell, Bellerin > Pereira.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Why have Bellerin, Tierney and Holding not started this season? Because of injuries, they have not been fit. Holding > Evans, Tierney > Chilwell, Bellerin > Pereira.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Cassano and Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
None of those evaluations are accurate.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
"On one side you have a good manager who knows what he's doing, and on the other you have Marco Silva who god knows where he gets his reputation from. He keeps getting good jobs and keeps failing." - Tim Sherwood. Harsh. :laugh:

Reactions: Havre

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Well. It is the closest AB13 has ever been to an accurate evaluation of any football player connected to Arsenal so...

Keep it up I say!

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad