Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Sugar "KANE" Turns Into 'Rymes with' M, M, M...My Sharona

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
To get both at a cheaper rate after all they’ve given to the Pens is a great outcome.
Letang wants 3 years at 8.5

I am assuming the 6.5 is to get Letang the 8.5 up front. Letang wants to play until he is 40. This is known.

Malkin has said all along two year deal. You might get him at three to spread the cap hit.

Rutherford WAS moving Malkin and had multiple deals in the works. Ownership stated they wanted no major changes (obviously because they were likely in the RFQ stage of selling the club). Rutherford was also told NOT to move futures. He threw a tizzy and left.

The Oilers 100% made at least two offers for Kris Letang. Kris did not feel to move his no-trade (oilers made a half hearted before his no trade kicked in), and the Penguins didn't seriously make the ask as the Oilers offered pieces weren't there yet.

If you want my sources I can identify to Mods (which I believe I already disclosed both). These things were 100% talked about and in the works. I honestly don't care if you believe me and, as I am neither a journalist nor doing this for profit, I don't care if ANYONE reads this or finds it credible.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
If I were Hextall, my first priority would be getting a guy like Halak to back up Jarry. I think DeSmith is better than what he's shown so far this year, but I also don't want to be banking on that in the playoffs. Halak has been no worse than steady and competent for his entire career and would make a great backup option in case of another Jarry implosion or injury.

Frankly, I don't know if this team really needs to get any other forwards. On paper, at least, they are pretty stacked. Maybe they could use another middle 6 type guy in case ERod turns back into a pumpkin.

On defense...I dunno. Maybe you don't want Ruhwedel in the lineup? He hasn't been bad at all, though, really. I guess another competent 6th/7th Dman could be a target, but they may already think they have that in Friedman.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
I don’t see Seattle giving up Eberle for cheap but he’s exactly the type of player I’d add in to this group despite him not having the size element we want.
Seattle wants draftpicks and will trade almost anyone. Francis has this mythical relationship with draft picks. For me, a 20+ overall is worth the price for Eberle. Evidently his contract is better the last couple years of this deal (actual monies to be paid out) which IS a factor for the new ownership group.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Speaking of POJ, the comment from Wheeler about POJ not offering any special teams upside makes me wonder if the Penguins should rethink their plans for the defense tbh.

This is probably reading too much into it, but I feel like the Penguins have quite a few non-special teams defensemen, as in guys who don't really offer either PK upside or PP upside. Pettersson and Matheson pretty much don't play either on the PP or PK, the minutes breakdown this year basically have Letang and Marino as the PP defensemen and Letang, Marino, Dumoulin and Ruhwedel as the PK defensemen. Do you really want to add POJ to the defense without subtracting Pettersson or Matheson?

I like Pettersson, but if he's not playing special teams at all, I don't really see a justification for keeping him. I don't think you can comfortably move on from Dumoulin and just replace him with POJ with how seemingly little Matheson and Pettersson are trusted on special teams.

I'm not a player development expert (especially on defense) but is it truly that difficult to learn how to PK as a Dman?

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

I am assuming the 6.5 is to get Letang the 8.5 up front. Letang wants to play until he is 40. This is known.

Malkin has said all along two year deal. You might get him at three to spread the cap hit.

Rutherford WAS moving Malkin and had multiple deals in the works. Ownership stated they wanted no major changes (obviously because they were likely in the RFQ stage of selling the club). Rutherford was also told NOT to move futures. He threw a tizzy and left.

The Oilers 100% made at least two offers for Kris Letang. Kris did not feel to move his no-trade (oilers made a half hearted before his no trade kicked in), and the Penguins didn't seriously make the ask as the Oilers offered pieces weren't there yet.

If you want my sources I can identify to Mods (which I believe I already disclosed both). These things were 100% talked about and in the works. I honestly don't care if you believe me and, as I am neither a journalist nor doing this for profit, I don't care if ANYONE reads this or finds it credible.

Pretty sure you also were on here telling us that Lemieux/Burkle were looking to sell.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019

I wonder what the offers were on Geno. I'm assuming the timeframe was after the Isles sweep to following the Habs play-in, yeah?

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Pretty sure you also were on here telling us that Lemieux/Burkle were looking to sell.
And that Mario only has a 2% interest or less in the club at the time- the rest was restructured so that most of the 350M he received a couple years ago. Mario quietly cashed out after the first attempted sale was nixed.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
And that Mario only has a 2% interest or less in the club at the time- the rest was restructured so that most of the 350M he received a couple years ago. Mario quietly cashed out after the first attempted sale was nixed.

Also, if you remember I said I couldn't divulge the reason Jimmy left- when a high placed guy tells you they received a Proposal after sending out a RFQ well... you can't divulge that can you?

Last edited:
Reactions: Sideline

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I’d do 8.5x 3 for Letang in a heart beat honestly. Give Geno and Letang the same contracts and you only end up paying 250k extra compared to their salaries now.

Reactions: ronduguayshair

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Seattle wants draftpicks and will trade almost anyone. Francis has this mythical relationship with draft picks. For me, a 20+ overall is worth the price for Eberle. Evidently his contract is better the last couple years of this deal (actual monies to be paid out) which IS a factor for the new ownership group.

Why is Seattle only getting our 1st for Eberle?

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
I’d do 8.5x 3 for Letang in a heart beat honestly. Give Geno and Letang the same contracts and you only end up paying 250k extra compared to their salaries now.
His formal counter to the pens is still 11+ million for 4+ years... I wrote that stupidly my subjection was that he'd do at least 8.5 for 3 as a base salary/salary bonus for that 5 year term. Sorry that was what I mean.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
His formal counter to the pens is still 11+ million for 4+ years... I wrote that stupidly my subjection was that he'd do at least 8.5 for 3 as a base salary/salary bonus for that 5 year term. Sorry that was what I mean.
Damn that’s a big ask. If he’s looking for that much then I think he’s as good as gone.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I truly think a backup goalie is possible, depending on the price. I also think that it's possible they look to add someone to bump Ruhwedel, or at least give them a different look (more physical) back there while staying reliable. But that's it.

Nah, Ruhwedel has been too good this year to acquire someone to push him out of the lineup.

I legitimately don't see them making a move outside of maybe upgrading on DeSmith, and they won't spend many assets to do that.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If Letang wants 3 years at $8.5 million, why not give him an extra 2 years to deflate his cap hit into the $7 million range? Maybe do a 5 year deal with a money distribution of $8.5, $8.5, $8.5, $6 and $6. That ends up being a cap hit of $7.5 million, which is very manageable for the Penguins.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Letang and pens talking 5 year 6.5M per contract

Malkin 2 years 8M

I don't disagree with the pens choice because, hey, who else are you gonna spend your money on?

Looking for a Winger to bump zuccher to a third line role full time. Could trade 1st but highly doubtful. I know pens have looked at Jordan Eberle and Paul Byron
I'm not sure there's one thing about this post that sounds true. Let alone the spelling of Zucker.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Damn that’s a big ask. If he’s looking for that much then I think he’s as good as gone.

I agree that's a big ask and if posters on here want to talk about aging players and contracts this is directly what they are arguing shouldn't be done but yet say sign Letang let go of Geno.

Tanger deserves it the way some of these dmen were just paid and I personally think he will age well but that's a little to much of an ask.

Would have to see how to cap crunch that and frontload but I surely wouldn't want to be paying 11.5 in year 2 or 3.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
If Letang wants 3 years at $8.5 million, why not give him an extra 2 years to deflate his cap hit into the $7 million range? Maybe do a 5 year deal with a money distribution of $8.5, $8.5, $8.5, $6 and $6. That ends up being a cap hit of $7.5 million, which is very manageable for the Penguins.
Yep, those are the talks now. Pens want 6.5M cause they have a lot of risk.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm not sure there's one thing about this post that sounds true. Let alone the spelling of Zucker.

The Penguins are definitely looking at Byron, despite Byron not playing in a single game this year :laugh:

Eberle also makes no sense as a guy to push Zucker to the 3rd line because Eberle is solely a RW and isn't even remotely the kind of guy I see Hextall overpaying for.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
The Penguins are definitely looking at Byron, despite Byron not playing in a single game this year :laugh:

Eberle also makes no sense as a guy to push Zucker to the 3rd line because Eberle is solely a RW and isn't even remotely the kind of guy I see Hextall overpaying for.
I wasn't even aware we had Eklund posting on our forum. I feel... honored? No, that can't be it. Amused.

Reactions: Empoleon8771
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad