Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Sugar "KANE" Turns Into 'Rymes with' M, M, M...My Sharona

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I saw Kris Letang at a grocery store in Pittsburgh once. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?” I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter. When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

Now I want to give Kris a nickname.
How about "Milky Way"?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I saw Kris Letang at a grocery store in Pittsburgh once. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?” I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter. When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

my favorite thread in HF history.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm not trying to be hostile (it's hard to convey tone in written form), but it's hard to believe that a player agent or an NHL GM are leaking the details of contract negotiations of a franchise player (including the exact dollar/term amounts) directly to you and are OK with you sharing them publicly on the Internet. I'm not trying to accuse you of being a liar, but I just don't understand it. Can you explain the story here?

To add, I've had access to a lot of information like this (never contract negotiations, but specifics about player personnel, hirings/firings, the team's sale, and other "privileged info," for lack of a better term) and it went without saying that I was not to share this information publicly. So like I said, I'm genuinely curious what's going on in your case.

I mean your Bob Cole of course you have connections.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
People saying Letang never had a pay day when his seal was signed it was 11.28% of the cap.
7.25 over 8 years.

Now Letang should continue getting paid as a top pairing #1 defensemen. He will be 35.

Now let's say he asks for 11% again that's 9.3 million.

We have prime defensemen signing around that number who are signing at that 28 years old to 35 prime defensemen age.

Now I am open to 3 4 and 5 year deals.

5 year deal full NTC/NMC as much bonus money as possible to make it buyout proof around 7 or 7.5 seems really doable.

I think he got his pay day and he deserves to still be paid.

I don't think his number needs to start with a 6. I also think a lot of this contract may be determined on the playoff run. If we pass the first round I can see him giving us a decent discount at 7. If we do poorly he may price himself out and ask 8 or 8.5.

I will miss him but he has been paid and he deserves to be paid. Leaving 7 million on the table for him won't hurt. It's like what Malkin said ' I have money '.

I want to pay our aging stars fairly but realistically. If we want to win or try to win 1 more the stars have to take the hit. You can see it in Tampa. Kucherov signing 3 years for 7 million. Gets 128 points and only takes 9.5?

Yea thats a guy leaving money.

I

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
I'm not sure why you quoted me. You didn't respond to my question at all.
I mean there have been like 4 rounds of negotiations. Stuff like that leaks all the time. I know a five year deal from the Pens side is in the works. Thats not spoiling anything these numbers have been known for a year.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
The Penguins are definitely looking at Byron, despite Byron not playing in a single game this year :laugh:

Eberle also makes no sense as a guy to push Zucker to the 3rd line because Eberle is solely a RW and isn't even remotely the kind of guy I see Hextall overpaying for.
They liked him because of his flexibility to play both sides and his contract is reasonable (especially if retained). My recollection is that the he's behind on his hip surgery so that could factor into the canadiens ask but I don't know why they want him, just that they do.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Letang and pens talking 5 year 6.5M per contract

Malkin 2 years 8M

I don't disagree with the pens choice because, hey, who else are you gonna spend your money on?

Looking for a Winger to bump zuccher to a third line role full time. Could trade 1st but highly doubtful. I know pens have looked at Jordan Eberle and Paul Byron
If you say it I believe it.

As for Eberle for a 1st++...hell f***in NO! Pass from me.

Any news about Pens and Canucks (say Boeser or JT.Miller)?

BobCole

May 21, 2014
I mean there have been like 4 rounds of negotiations. Stuff like that leaks all the time. I know a five year deal from the Pens side is in the works. Thats not spoiling anything these numbers have been known for a year.

So to clarify, this is your inside info or this is public info that's been known for some time?

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
So to clarify, this is your inside info or this is public info that's been known for some time?
I know two guys in the organization and both told me about this. I get much better information as to the financial transaction and much more player acquisition news when Jimmy was GM but I still get stuff but its held much closer to the vest. The financial stuff (contracts) I get are really accurate.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I know two guys in the organization and both told me about this. I get much better information as to the financial transaction and much more player acquisition news when Jimmy was GM but I still get stuff but its held much closer to the vest. The financial stuff (contracts) I get are really accurate.
So what's Letang getting? 5 years 6.5M or like 11M?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Don't really see a guy like Eberle being any better than Zucker here.

I couldn't disagree more with this.

The most fundamental way that Zucker and Eberle are different is the most important one: Offensive IQ.

Eberle has the brain to read and react to developing plays, which is pretty critical when you're playing with the likes of Crosby and Malkin. Zucker's always a day late and a dollar short.

I think we need a bigger offensive threat than Eberle to contend, but he'd be a regular 50-60 point winger here. Zucker's not even a 40 point player here.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'd be really surprised if we ended up getting both for ~$14 million AAV. I'm fully expecting ~$17 million AAV (Letang @ $9 million, Geno @ $8 million). Would be pretty much shocked if Letang only got $6.5 million AAV with the current landscape of #1 blueliners.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
The financial stuff (contracts) I get are really accurate.

Again, I'm not trying to be hostile, but I don't believe that "two guys" in the organization are:

a) given the specific dollar and term figures of contracts actively under negotiation
b) empowered to share this information with their buddies
c) have no problem with their buddies sharing this info publicly

I don't want to get into a pissing match, so I'll just leave it there.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I couldn't disagree more with this.

The most fundamental way that Zucker and Eberle are different is the most important one: Offensive IQ.

Eberle has the brain to read and react to developing plays, which is pretty critical when you're playing with the likes of Crosby and Malkin. Zucker's always a day late and a dollar short.

I think we need a bigger offensive threat than Eberle to contend, but he'd be a regular 50-60 point winger here. Zucker's not even a 40 point player here.

Eberle isn't the best skater but has a much better shot then Rust and like you mentioned hockey IQ.

So essentially we would be losing Rust speed and getting a much better shot.

IDK Eberle just doesn't do it for me that's why I asked if he's the best player/salary we could bring back while using a 1st.

Maybe he is

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Eberle isn't the best skater but has a much better shot then Rust and like you mentioned hockey IQ.

So essentially we would be losing Rust speed and getting a much better shot.

IDK Eberle just doesn't do it for me that's why I asked if he's the best player/salary we could bring back while using a 1st.

Maybe he is
I still want JT.Miller or Boeser. Those are players I would cough up a 1st for. Miller is a really good playoff player too.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I still want JT.Miller or Boeser. Those are players I would cough up a 1st for.

I agree they would probabaly be better fits but I dont know how the salaries would work

TBH I would think that our 1st would be beat out pretty easily and I am not so sure we even have our 1st out on the table

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I agree they would probabaly be better fits but I dont know how the salaries would work

TBH I would think that our 1st would be beat out pretty easily and I am not so sure we even have our 1st out on the table
I'd add other stuff and try asking for retention (on Miller).

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I just wanna see one game with a fully armed and operational battlestation...one game before we lose multiple good players in the summer.

Appreciate the inside info @Richard . I don't really know you well, so I have no reason to dismiss your word.
Just trying to figure out what a Eberle trade would look like though. Burke was just on record saying that they need to start preserving picks, so 1sts off the table?

Eberle makes 5.5. Even if we managed to off-load Zucker, what would we have to attach to him to make it work? Plus what's Seattle's motivation in doing this? They have bad scoring already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad