Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Sugar "KANE" Turns Into 'Rymes with' M, M, M...My Sharona

Status
Not open for further replies.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
You wrote a bunch of stuff and never mentioned the main reason. Keep Letang. Is Malkin your favorite player? Sounds like it.

There's no way we're keeping both #71 and #58. If so then why aren't they already signed.

The hometown discounts people have posted here are absolute fantasy.

Actually keep Letang and Malkin was in my initial response and its absolutely doable to keep both of them. I like Geno, I wouldn't necessarily say he my favorite player I was just stating facts. Do you not like facts?

There are quite a few reasons why both of them possibly are not signed by now. Many teams simply dont start talks till later in the season or off-season. Its just the nature of the game

Team could have waited/waiting to see how Geno's knee responded.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I don’t see Seattle giving up Eberle for cheap but he’s exactly the type of player I’d add in to this group despite him not having the size element we want.
Well, Richard doesn't have a good track record, so I wouldn't worry about the cost to get Eberle because it's not happening.

Reactions: Andy99

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Will you leave the board when proven wrong?

I mean you're posting doesn't annoy me but if anyone wants to do a loser leaves messageboard based if we keep both Letang and Malkin I'd be up for it on a case by case basis.

We very could sign both. It might be to sell tickets. I don't think its the right move for the team's on ice success moving forward however. I think it is proven that our superstars can get shutdown in a playoff series at their age. So isn't it more important to invest in defense and then scoring depth throughout the lineup? I think so.

We overrate our stars until it is time to sign them and then we decide to underrate them. Its precious. Letang has never gotten the payday he deserves.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Next year:

Guentzel - Crosby - Eberle
Carter - Malkin - Kapanen
O'Connor - Rodrigues - Heinen
McGinn - Blueger - Bozak
Angello

Dumoulin - Letang
Pettersson - Marino
Matheson - Ruhwedel
Joseph - Friedman

Jarry - Allen

$81.8M

No clue how to acquire Eberle.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Letang and pens talking 5 year 6.5M per contract

Malkin 2 years 8M

I don't disagree with the pens choice because, hey, who else are you gonna spend your money on?

Looking for a Winger to bump zuccher to a third line role full time. Could trade 1st but highly doubtful. I know pens have looked at Jordan Eberle and Paul Byron
So, are these rumors just like the ones where you said Sullivan and Jarry were gone after the Islanders' series? Or that Letang was potentially going to be traded to Edmonton for Kris Russell and picks? Or that Malkin had quit on the team and Rutherford was going to trade him the summer after the Montreal series?

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Actually keep Letang and Malkin was in my initial response and its absolutely doable to keep both of them. I like Geno, I wouldn't necessarily say he my favorite player I was just stating facts. Do you not like facts?

There are quite a few reasons why both of them possibly are not signed by now. Many teams simply dont start talks till later in the season or off-season. Its just the nature of the game

Why haven't we signed Letang then?

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
The Penguins are more likely to not make a single trade at the deadline than they are to add someone like Eberle.

Sleepy ain't gonna do anything.
I truly think a backup goalie is possible, depending on the price. I also think that it's possible they look to add someone to bump Ruhwedel, or at least give them a different look (more physical) back there while staying reliable. But that's it.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Next year:

Guentzel - Crosby - Eberle
Carter - Malkin - Kapanen
O'Connor - Rodrigues - Heinen
McGinn - Blueger - Bozak
Angello

Dumoulin - Letang
Pettersson - Marino
Matheson - Ruhwedel
Joseph - Friedman

Jarry - Allen

$81.8M

No clue how to acquire Eberle.

Feeling cute today......

Sub Domi for Eberle
Sub Radulov for Carter, Kap can LW
Sub PUUS for Heinen
Sub WBS Poo, Bell, Bork for Bozak

#winning

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I mean you're posting doesn't annoy me but if anyone wants to do a loser leaves messageboard based if we keep both Letang and Malkin I'd be up for it on a case by case basis.

We very could sign both. It might be to sell tickets. I don't think its the right move for the team's on ice success moving forward however. I think it is proven that our superstars can get shutdown in a playoff series at their age. So isn't it more important to invest in defense and then scoring depth throughout the lineup? I think so.

We overrate our stars until it is time to sign them and then we decide to underrate them. Its precious. Letang has never gotten the payday he deserves.

Who cares about moving forward? We are in a window to win now. Im not talking GMJR mode but we can still work with what we have and be really competitive. The future doesn't look that great no matter what we do once Crosby, Malkin and Letang leave......That just what happens when you lose talent like that.

I think you are stuck thinking that teams always win when we've had these guys here for 16 years, that's the problem. Teams and fanbases would love to be in the situation we have been in for 16 years. I don't think you realize how hard it is to win a Stanley Cup, thats why they play the series. You can have talent all up and down the lineup and it can get shut down just as easily. Ill take our shot with our guys because even though they have ran into some unfortunate injuries with man games lost over they years and some 1st round exits we all know what they are capable of doing.

Last edited:

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Why haven't we signed Letang then?

I already answered this before but

To see what cap we have to spend?

To wait until the off-season?

I don't know, I am not management and neither are you but its defiantly feasible. It happens in all of sports, even players you know for a fact will 100% resign. It doesn't always happen in season

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Who cares about moving forward? We are in a window to win now. Im not talking GMJR mode but we can still work with what we have and be really competitive. The future doesn't look that great no matter what we do once Crosby, Malkin and Letang leave......That just what happens when you lose talent like that.

I think you are stuck thinking that teams always win when we've had these guys here for 16 years, that the problem. Teams and fanbases would love to be in the situation we have been in for 16 years. I don't think you realize how hard it is to win a Stanley Cup, that why they play the series. You can have talent all up and down the lineup and it can get shut down just as easily. Ill take our shot with our guys because even though they have ran into some unfortunate injuries with man games lost over they years and some 1st round exits we all know what they are capable of doing.

I think you're operating under the assumption that the stars are what they were not what they are now. Agree to disagree. In the meantime I'll think about how hard it is to win a cup.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I think you're operating under the assumption that the stars are what they were not what they are now. Agree to disagree. In the meantime I'll think about how hard it is to win a cup.

I'm not saying they are in their prime but I am saying that your not finding much talent out there that are better than them.

Where are you getting these replacement players that are better then them? Your not

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
I'm listening to the 32 podcast interview with Devan Dubnyk and I was thinking if he has a good Olympics he might be a cheap backup option if there isn't better options. Probably is he's playing in Charlotte and they are the farm team of Florida (who have goaltending issues).

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
While I do think we'll continue to see diminishing returns from 87/71/58 for the remainder of their careers - father time is undefeated, after all - I also think old man Malkin and old man Letang are likely not going to be much worse, if at all, than other players the Pens could pursue in free agency at their respective cap hits.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Yeah, I expect nothing or a cheap, under the radar move that either works out surprisingly well or we just collectively shrug and forget it even happened by the summer.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
I'm not saying they are in their prime but I am saying that your not finding much talent out there that are better than them.

Where are you getting these replacement players that are better then them? Your not

Draft and Trades maybe Free Agency. By not locking into a risky contract with #71 you would have a lot more flexibility moving forward. Who knows where we'll be in 3-4 years. I know where Malkin will be and that's old and most likely injured.

I'm moving on. Agree to disagree.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

That same poster accused me of Geno being my favorite player because I suggested Rust be stapled to him.
Like how dare I suggest that 2 guys with obvious chemistry be reunited?!

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Draft and Trades maybe Free Agency. By not locking into a risky contract with #71 you would have a lot more flexibility moving forward. Who knows where we'll be in 3-4 years. I know where Malkin will be and that's old and most likely injured.

I'm moving on. Agree to disagree.

You take risk with some of the best players in hockey......sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad