Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Sugar "KANE" Turns Into 'Rymes with' M, M, M...My Sharona

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
The Knack.... Carry on.....

Zucker played the "right way" with Geno for the 4 or so games last year when Geno came back. He just floated around near the net and got in the way. As soon as Geno went back out, he stopped, and has never again consistently done this. Hopefully he can do that again.

This recent stretch of him trying to lay hits in lieu of scoring was a terrible idea, and has probably resulted in him hurting himself trying to make a hit ala Beau Bennett.

The coaches need to show Zucker tape of Fedotenko and Talbot and tell him just to skate slow figure 8's near the net and try to be in the way. Full stop.

I meant in relation to this league and it's long term outlook, which consist of younger, strong men. Out of all the positive cases the NHL is dealing with in the last 3 weeks or so, how many players have severe symptoms that will cause problems for even a few weeks after the worst of it? Omicron is referred to as mild because people aren't often dealing with respiratory or heart issues, which was the #1 killer with Delta. You get slammed with a fever maybe but you get through it. 3 of my friends just went through this.

So if Omicron becomes the dominant strain and sweeps through the vast majority of the league (which looks likely) then over time the league should build a herd immunity and be able to cope better.

Yeah, the vast majority of players should be fine. But what about the staff and arena workers?

And anyway, I think we're OT so this'll be my last post on it. The Mods have dealt with this enough. :laugh:

Anywhere I can trade my Kane Jets jersey for a Pens one?

Don't threaten me with a good time

Also lol Kane is in the AHL's COVID protocol. Almost too predictable. He is kicking the hell out of the AHL right now, though.

I dunno if immunity to the strains is a thing. Short term perhaps but hasn't Kuznetsov gotten covid like 3 times? Lol. What a mess.

I'll keep watching and we'll see how things progress. I hope like hell 2022 is the last year of seriously dealing with covid, but I'm not sure it will be.

He can't help that his nose is like the vacuum from Spaceballs.

Definitely a thing. Notice how all 8 cases we have now are players who never tested positive before, despite us having an outbreak earlier in the year. It's true there's a few players around the league who got it multiple times, but they are few and far between. Plus the few guys who are doubling up recently had Delta before, not Omicron.

The players who have not tested positive to this point are:
Malkin, McGinn, Rust, Heinen, DOC, DeSmith, Zucker, Friedman, Riikola, Lafferty

That's it. I think you'll find that cases we have between now and the end of the year will mostly be these guys. We'll see.

Yep, most likely everyone will contract it. Geno will contract COVID only after he plays about 5-10 games and starts to produce.

Yep I could definitely see that :laugh:

If everyone will get it anyway then better sooner than later though. During playoffs is worst case scenario.

you do know that there’s not immunity for that long after you catch it, right? The common cold for example, your immunity lasts only 4 months and then you can get another cold….so it is likely for this coronavirus…so Geno could get it in January and then catch it again in April or May just as the POs are ramping up lol…

That doesn't sound right but I don't know enough about herd immunity to dispute it.

Guess I was wrong about not posting any more.

Didn't know that specific period. Bummer.
Andy99, the reaper of joy :laugh:

Nah. After Geno gets Omicron, he'll be patient zero for the Omega variant, which will put him, the team, and the league out for the rest of the season. You're getting a little too optimistic in your old age.

Obviously a joke but can he just get it now. You know it's gonna happen when he and kap start to go off. Then Geno gets covid and Kap gets injured

I guess the Metro teams are back to winning every game…sigh…the only team that lost in the past two days has been the Rangers…Pens better come out swinging Sunday…

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Where are we at? Feels like the off-season. What the hell is even going on?

That's what I'm saying about how it's hard to give a shit right now lol. So much disruption to the season. And this shits never gonna go away. It's gonna be new variant city forever.

Don't mind me just feeling grim about the new year lol

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
So for anyone who doesn't know, taxi squads can be up to 6 players.

Ours are POJ, Riikola, Zohorna, Angello, Bjorkvist and Domingue

Z's been playing a lot better in Wilkes lately, so I'm happy to see that. Puustinen not one of the 3 Forwards though. Oh well. Maybe it's because he's a rookie and they don't trust him with the system yet, or just want him getting games+minutes now.

I bet he's annoyed though.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
So for anyone who doesn't know, taxi squads can be up to 6 players.

Ours are POJ, Riikola, Zohorna, Angello, Bjorkvist and Domingue

Z's been playing a lot better in Wilkes lately, so I'm happy to see that. Puustinen not one of the 3 Forwards though. Oh well. Maybe it's because he's a rookie and they don't trust him with the system yet, or just want him getting games+minutes now.

I bet he's annoyed though.

I would imagine they just want to see him develop a little more instead of rushing him. Especially if he's not going to play regularly. All the guys they brought up have spent their time in the AHL.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I would imagine they just want to see him develop a little more instead of rushing him. Especially if he's not going to play regularly. All the guys they brought up have spent their time in the AHL.
They could send Simon down to the minors since he’s not an NHL player. We should be playing Puus over scrubs. If he suck’s worse than Simon, send him down. But to continue playing guys like Simon is absurd.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
They could send Simon down to the minors since he’s not an NHL player. We should be playing Puus over scrubs. If he suck’s worse than Simon, send him down. But to continue playing guys like Simon is absurd.

Pens X - Patron Saint of unforced errors.

Reactions: MrBurghundy

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I was playing around with capfriendly to look at the feasibility of this, but I think you can make re-signing everyone of importance (Malkin, Letang, Rust, Kapanen, Rodrigues and Heinen) work by trading Zucker without taking any money back. If you assume:

-Malkin at $7.5 million AAV (which I honestly think is an overestimate for him)
-Letang at $8.5 million AAV
-Rust at $5.5 million AAV
-Kapanen at $5 million AAV
-Rodrigues at $3 million AAV
-Heinen at $2.5 million AAV
-O'Connor, POJ and Friedman at their QOs

With trading Zucker and having a $82.5 million cap, you're at about $4.7 million in cap space with 11 forwards, 7 D and a goalie with this general lineup:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
XXXXX-Malkin-Kapanen
O'Connor-Rodrigues-Heinen
Zohorna-Blueger-McGinn
XXXXX-XXXXX

Dumoulin-Letang
Matheson-Marino
Pettersson-Friedman
POJ

Jarry-XXXXX

I think you would almost definitely want to trade one of the LD to add a LWer for Malkin, but beyond that, I don't really have many issues with this roster. You could also mess with your forward group a little bit to load up more on your top-9 with something like Heinen-Malkin-Kapanen and McGinn-Blueger-Rodrigues as your 2nd and 3rd line.

Beyond that, I think my estimates for Malkin, Letang and Kapanen are a bit aggressive. I don't think Kapanen really has a case for $5 million after the season he has had this year, I think you can probably shave between $500k and $1 million off of that and be a bit closer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dominance and Jacob

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
We should claim Neal for the lols. Might have something left for Geno. He would mesh better than forcing Zucker on that wing.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I wouldn’t blame ERod at all if he waited until UFA and went to the highest bidder which won’t be us but what are the chances he takes a little less to stay with the team that have him a real chance where he can play with other high-end talent? If we move Zucker he’s pretty much guaranteed a top-6 spot here.

Not sure what he’d get as a UFA on the open market. He’s having a huge year obviously but was like an extra forward just a year ago. Maybe 3 years 5m from a team that needs to hit the cap floor and is really hurting for offense? Would he take 3x3.5 or like 4x3.5 to stay here? Would we even do that? It’s hard to picture him slowing down but there’s always the chance he falls back down to earth like Dzingel, Dadonov or countless others.

To move Zucker though I think we’d have to take salary back which we can’t afford to do or we’ll have to package him with a 2nd round pick for someone to take him on. Unless he has a 2nd half that helps reclaim his value.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Is this one of those posts that is serious but will later be chalked up as a joke?
Not really. Hes signed for 1 year at 750k. Give him a game or two on Genos wing. If he doesnt do well there waive him to the AHL or taxi squad. Costs the team nothing.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think this might ignite a hot debate, but if I could only re-sign one of them, I'd rather re-sign Rust and trade Kapanen for assets over re-signing Kapanen and letting Rust walk.

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
I’ve found myself wanting to watch E-Rod. He does a lot of smart, high skill, individual plays. It’s not like he’s depending on being fed the puck over and over to produce. I never thought he was trash, but man this is a strange season he's having.

yeah it’s just bizarre that he’s never put it all together before, because like the first goal was just sick sick stuff that not most guys can’t do. Buffalo is just cursed? But obviously Sully recognized his potential as a scorer and knows how to make it work.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
What does Neal add? We’re not hurting for offense obviously.

He’s not better than our current top 6 wingers and not cut out for any bottom 6. And we know Sully doesn’t like one-dimensional players you can’t rely on defensively or system-wise.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I think this might ignite a hot debate, but if I could only re-sign one of them, I'd rather re-sign Rust and trade Kapanen for assets over re-signing Kapanen and letting Rust walk.

Why not let both go? Sign and trade for Rust and Kapanen to Canucks in a JT.Miller trade. Pens get older but we have a few years left anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad