Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Sugar "KANE" Turns Into 'Rymes with' M, M, M...My Sharona

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
I wouldn't imagine letang taking less than 8.5M cash for the first three years and ideally something like 10 or 11. There is risk for both parties- Letang has well documented health issues.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I still want JT.Miller or Boeser. Those are players I would cough up a 1st for. Miller is a really good playoff player too.

What do you do when Boeser qualifying offer is 7 million I believe might be 7.5 but pretty sure it's 7.

Can we afford Boeser it seems too high unless we really letting some people go.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
What do you do when Boeser qualifying offer is 7 million I believe might be 7.5 but pretty sure it's 7.

Can we afford Boeser it seems too high unless we really letting some people go.
IDK, just a few guys I would want. Miller would be cheaper and is a few years older. I'd probably go for Miller just because he's cheaper and is more proven in the playoffs over 1 playoff only Boeser.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I know two guys in the organization and both told me about this. I get much better information as to the financial transaction and much more player acquisition news when Jimmy was GM but I still get stuff but its held much closer to the vest. The financial stuff (contracts) I get are really accurate.

i thought Geno wanted a 3-4 year contract? What’s wrong with the Pavelski contract of 3 x 7 AAV

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd also be super curious on how this Eberle acquisition would work with the salary cap. The Penguins have literally no cap space right now. Any sort of addition like that would require Zucker going out, or would require Pettersson going out and the other team retaining money. You can't acquire someone like Eberle to push Zucker to the 3rd line because you don't have the cap space to actually do that.

Pretty valid point.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Eberle isn't the best skater but has a much better shot then Rust and like you mentioned hockey IQ.

So essentially we would be losing Rust speed and getting a much better shot.

IDK Eberle just doesn't do it for me that's why I asked if he's the best player/salary we could bring back while using a 1st.

Maybe he is

Oh I wouldn't be advocating for us to switch out Rust for him. Zucker sure, but not Rust.

As a target, I think we can and should aim higher, and add more assets if necessary.

I think we should be aiming for "Forsberg, Pavelski, Hertl, Giroux" tier. Needle movers. Guys who can generate on their own when Crosby and Malkin aren't both available or at their best, like Kessel used to do.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
I don't trust internet rumors. Two years for Malkin would make sense, but I was expecting him to want to retire with Crosby. Unless Crosby doesn't intend on retiring three years from now.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Honestly if Letang seriously said "I want $11 million" and I was Hextall, I would just cut off any sort of contract negotiations with him and just use him as a self-rental for the rest of the year.

Letang asking for $11+ million as his first ask is just as unreasonable as the Penguins offering Letang $5 million as their first offer. It's absolutely ludicrous and it would kill any sort of negotiations I'd have with him.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I couldn't disagree more with this.

The most fundamental way that Zucker and Eberle are different is the most important one: Offensive IQ.

Eberle has the brain to read and react to developing plays, which is pretty critical when you're playing with the likes of Crosby and Malkin. Zucker's always a day late and a dollar short.

I think we need a bigger offensive threat than Eberle to contend, but he'd be a regular 50-60 point winger here. Zucker's not even a 40 point player here.

Yah, we said that about Perron, Zucker too.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Honestly if Letang seriously said "I want $11 million" and I was Hextall, I would just cut off any sort of contract negotiations with him and just use him as a self-rental for the rest of the year.

Letang asking for $11+ million as his first ask is just as unreasonable as the Penguins offering Letang $5 million as their first offer. It's absolutely ludicrous and it would kill any sort of negotiations I'd have with him.

Obviously not a thing that ever happened.

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009

Is this just speculation? I'm just jumping in this thread

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I don't trust internet rumors. Two years for Malkin would make sense, but I was expecting him to want to retire with Crosby. Unless Crosby doesn't intend on retiring three years from now.

I don't see Crosby retiring in 3 years, He'll still be a great player.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
You guys are absolutely nuts. Letang would get 10.5-12 M on the open market. If he hits the open market watch the contract he gets.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
And I thought I was aggressive on what Letang could fetch after a summer of inflated dman contracts.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
You guys are absolutely nuts. Letang would get 10.5-12 M on the open market. If he hits the open market watch the contract he gets.

1. Letang had always been under appreciated in league circles.
2. Letang will be 35.
3. You are paying for 70 games a year max, likely lower.

Any team that hands him a huge deal is going to be a team that doesn’t have a chance. Any competitive team will offer him something akin to what Pittsburgh can/will.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese