Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Is one moon enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gremz

Jan 2, 2017
Sydney
What can we get for a Gally, Bjugstad and 1st package? Probably not Hall worthy, but surely there's some top 6 talent that could sure up the second and third lines

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I really think the Pens need to make the Athanasiou for Galchenyuk thing happen. AA is an RFA, on his last year making 3m and is a team worse +/- right now. Having an absolute stinker of a season in that regard. He's also having a down year compared to last season (pace for 42pts).

I'd try to swing Simon + Galchenyuk + 3rd for Athanasiou.

Then JR just needs to move Bjugstad (JJ if we're super lucky) for something that this team can actually use and we're solid.

I read their board, they think Gal sucks (duh), but I think adding Simon makes taking Galchenyuk for the rest of the season to see if he can turn it around and getting a top 9 player like Simon might make it worth their while?

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I think that's a pretty significant overpayment. AA is only like 6 months younger and doesnt have half the track record of Galchenyuk. Being RFA vs UFA obviously adds values but a third and Simon is more than Id be willing to add.

Track record, shmack record. Athanasiou may not have Galchenyuk's draft pedigree, but he's been more effective for 2 or 3 years now, even factoring in that he's bombing defensively at the moment. Most-relevant is that he looks like a stylistic fit for Sullivan, whereas Galchenyuk doesn't.

I haven't been as critical of Galchenyuk's season as most other posters. It's not that he's not trying--he just kind of looks like a fish out of water here, and there's a real possibility that isn't his fault, but in the event that the Red Wings would give me AA for Galch, Simon and a 3rd, I take that, no questions asked. There's too much upside to not play that hand.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think that's a pretty significant overpayment. AA is only like 6 months younger and doesnt have half the track record of Galchenyuk. Being RFA vs UFA obviously adds values but a third and Simon is more than Id be willing to add.
Simon + Galchenyuk is who I initially had, but considering even on a down year, AA is on a 42pt pace when the guy is capable of scoring 30, is blazing fast and plays all 3 forward positions...

I'd love to get AA on this team because having Tanev, Rust, AA...just wreaks a ton of havoc and the only time Simon is remotely useful is when Crosby is carrying his ass.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Not an argument when we give up less actual goals than we did last year.

Yes it is. The team average doesn't make it your fault if you draw the unlucky lot in terms of being in front of the worst goaltending - no more than it's your credit if you draw the lucky lot in terms of being in front of the best. The impact of individual dmen on goaltending percentages is pretty tenuous.

Track record, shmack record. Athanasiou may not have Galchenyuk's draft pedigree, but he's been more effective for 2 or 3 years now, even factoring in that he's bombing defensively at the moment. Most-relevant is that he looks like a stylistic fit for Sullivan, whereas Galchenyuk doesn't.

I haven't been as critical of Galchenyuk's season as most other posters. It's not that he's not trying--he just kind of looks like a fish out of water here, and there's a real possibility that isn't his fault, but in the event that the Red Wings would give me AA for Galch, Simon and a 3rd, I take that, no questions asked. There's too much upside to not play that hand.

Problem is next season you have to probably choose between AA and Kahun due to cap issues. For me, that looks like a fairly easy call in Kahun's favour and as such, I don't see any particular reason to do it. I'd rather have Kahun and straight futures for Galchenyuk.

Reactions: billybudd

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The most I would want to see Pettersson get is what this team gave Oleksiak, I don't feel he's earned more than that as of this point in the season.
I've been pretty hard on Petts the past month or so, and he's earned it imo, but I do think he's got room to grow. But he does need to grow in order to be worth keeping around for the long haul. He was really solid last season, but he's had a Gudbranson-esque plummet through 25-ish games so far. He's genuinely stunk for way too many games, and while I know he's young and there will be growing pains, I don't want to pay for potential when we're not sure that potential can be reached yet.

He's a bottom pairing guy now and he should be a bottom pairing guy moving forward. Please don't pay him some absurd contract as a "you scratch my back, I scratch yours" thing, JR. :laugh:

Gfroer

Jan 6, 2019

Galchenyuk put up more points in 2 of the past 3 seasons so not sure how AA has been more effective for that long.

As for being a stylistic fit for Sullivan I disagree. Phil's one-dimensional play got him run out of town and he's obviously a much better player than AA. Can't see the team tolerating it from a younger guy with one (1) good season.

I can understand the hype on Athanasiou, he's blazing fast and is an exciting offensive player but I think they'd be better off with a more complete player.

Reactions: Riptide

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
What can we get for a Gally, Bjugstad and 1st package? Probably not Hall worthy, but surely there's some top 6 talent that could sure up the second and third lines
We'd need to find a team able to take on that kind of cap, that's building for the future, and they have a significant asset that's a great fit to send to us. That's a pretty specific set of factors.

Our best bet to rid ourselves of Galchenyuk is to find a team like the Panthers last season, that's trying to get expiring contracts in order to free up cap this summer in an effort to chase Hall or someone of that caliber. I don't think he's got much value, but that's our best shot at finding a taker.

Bjugs is pretty easily moved, imo. He's not good at anything, but he's not a guy that's going to outright hurt your line when he's on the ice either. He's not what we need, but he's a solid enough player--if bland as all Hell.

If we're moving our 1st (in what is rumored to be the best/deepest draft of the past ~20 years), we need to make sure we're getting a stud LW or stud LD back. No real ifs, ands, or buts about it. If we're not getting a guy that can be a major factor for us for years to come, well into the decline/retirement of Sid/Geno/Letang, then keep the 1st.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
i think there is a bigger need for a defense man than a forward when healthily although with this years draft class we sure could use a few high picks.

I agree that we should be saving picks where we can, but this team is too good to not upgrade it immediately and sacrifice the future. All those years we were "all in." Dumb. This team has it to be "all in." Those teams never did because they weren't deep enough.

I mean, sure. But if we can get Fowler that gives us an insane top four.

For what cost though? Young, productive, locked up to a good number. Good luck.

I think there are two reasons as to why this may be happening. First off the emergence of Marino kinda makes MP look ''more ordinary'' in comparison (if you get what I mean). And secondly you would hope MP would progress a little from last season as he has more time here within the system. I don't necessarily see that step forward in his game. I don't think he's been bad, but there have been games where he was decidedly out of position or pinched when he shouldn't have a time or two more per game than last season. Last season I thought his positioning and ability to read the situation was more sound. Maybe he's trying to do too much.

I don't ever say this and I think a lot of people use it as a crutch to validate their opinions, but I am a season ticket holder and let me tell you from last year to this year there is a difference. He is absolutely a middle pairing defenseman. He has taken some more risks this year, but I think that is part of growing. He has been making an effort to be more offensive, which he has done inconsistently. He has it in him. He reminds me a lot of Niskanen when he first got here. People hated Niskanen, but watching him I could see the potential that was there. I feel like it's dejavu with Pettersson.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
We are not going to go for A.A. Think on the lessons learned. Think on Sullivan hockey and buying in. Then ponder whether JR wil be going for a player who for all his skating excellence and individual trickery has ZERO idea what it means to play team hockey, what sound positioning is or how to utilize his team mates.

A.A is a terrible idea.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Based on what? Athanasiou had 1 good year last year when he put up 30 goals and 54 points, but he hasn't even hit 35 points in another season. Last year was the only year Athanasiou has ever been better than Galchenyuk. People way overrate Athanasiou because he's fast and has a nice shot, he's Nail Yakupov if Yakupov ended up a 40 point player.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I really think the Pens need to make the Athanasiou for Galchenyuk thing happen. AA is an RFA, on his last year making 3m and is a team worse +/- right now. Having an absolute stinker of a season in that regard. He's also having a down year compared to last season (pace for 42pts).

I'd try to swing Simon + Galchenyuk + 3rd for Athanasiou.

Then JR just needs to move Bjugstad (JJ if we're super lucky) for something that this team can actually use and we're solid.

I read their board, they think Gal sucks (duh), but I think adding Simon makes taking Galchenyuk for the rest of the season to see if he can turn it around and getting a top 9 player like Simon might make it worth their while?

I'd hate to give up Simon - a cheap guy who plays extremely well with Sid in spurts.

But I've said for the past 3 years AA would fit like a glove on this team

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Petterson was on the ice for 31 ES goals against last season for us in 57 games. This season so far it is 25 against in 30 games, and we give up less than we did last year.

I think it is visible also, him being beaten 1 on 1 and for pace considerably more this season. He started out well enough I thought, but seemed to be really sliding in November, IMO. I sure think it is wrong to say he is playing exactly the same as last season.

Where are you getting your numbers from because he’s a +1 in plus/minus and has 9 ES points so that would mean 8 goals against at ES in 30 games.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Where do people see Schultz on this blueline once we get healthy? (Yeah, I know. "Healthy.")

Since they're getting comfortable with the RD-RD thing, either 2 or 3RD.

Letang-Marino
Dumo-Schultz

Dumo-Letang
X-Marino
X-Schultz

X being MP/JJ atm.

I'd actually like to see the first one in action and let MP/JJ/Riiko/Ruh battle it out for the 3rd pair...again. atm.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
So as a healthy team

Jake-Sid-Simon
(Zucker)?-Malkin-Rust
Kahun-McCann-Horny
ZAR-Bluegs-Tanev (almost a guarantee)
Laff

Bad fits/Trade: Chucky, Bjugs

Getting someone like Zucker or a good LW is crucial I think. That would make us near impossible to shutdown. I don't like the idea of Bjugs as our 3C just doesn't seem dangerous enough come playoff time.

If we could figure out a LW for Geno I think that's best case imo. I prefer McCann as 3c to keep a lethal shot in the bottom 6. I like Kahun-McCann as a pair and think it makes us deeper to play against. Obviously this is in hopes Simon can facilitate Crosby...

Dumo-Tang
?-Marino
Petts-Schultz
Johnson

I want to find a decent rental to compliment Marino...that would give us a pretty strong D. Honestly I worry about Petts-Schultz most with them struggling this year but as 3rd pair I feel much better. Schultz really looks like a 3rd pair OFD at this point. Marino needs top minutes if he continues..no way he plays less minutes than anyone except the top two

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Where do people see Schultz on this blueline once we get healthy? (Yeah, I know. "Healthy.")

It's obvious the top 4 are

Letang
Dumo
Marino
Petts

That leaves Schultz as #5

So they should use this time to figure out "does Rikko or JJ play best with Schultz?"

But they won't because they see JJ's rebound and think he's irreplaceable now.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Can Zucker think the game well enough for Geno with Rust on the opposite side? Rust is a great component for Jake-Geno because he has enough skill to play with them while bringing his speed and forechecking disruption. I'm not sure Zucker+Rust is the ideal combo for Geno even though I think it will be good. We just need another Jake.

Honestly, if we got Zucker, I would probably try (although I know it won't happen):

Zucker-Sid-Simon (or swap Kahun and Simon)
Jake-Geno-Rust

On defense I want:
Petts-Letang
Dumo-Marino
JJ-Schultz

Relies on Petts getting his shit together, but I think playing a simple game with Letang will help. Don't really WANT JJ-Schultz but as a 3rd pair it should be fine and you can cycle Schultz up with Letang at times depending on situation.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Can Zucker think the game well enough for Geno with Rust on the opposite side? Rust is a great component for Jake-Geno because he has enough skill to play with them while bringing his speed and forechecking disruption. I'm not sure Zucker+Rust is the ideal combo for Geno even though I think it will be good. We just need another Jake.

Honestly, if we got Zucker, I would probably try (although I know it won't happen):

Zucker-Sid-Simon (or swap Kahun and Simon)
Jake-Geno-Rust

I've got news for people who think Sid doesn't get Jake back upon his return. This is still Sid's team and he gets what he wants.

So you better find a RW for Sid and a LW for Geno

I think Kahun could fill either of those spots

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Since they're getting comfortable with the RD-RD thing, either 2 or 3RD.

Letang-Marino
Dumo-Schultz

Dumo-Letang
X-Marino
X-Schultz

X being MP/JJ atm.

I'd actually like to see the first one in action and let MP/JJ/Riiko/Ruh battle it out for the 3rd pair...again. atm.

I don't think they'd do this but reuniting JJ-MP and having three righties in the top 4 reads as very attractive to me. Maybe even pair Letang and Schultz.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I've got news for people who think Sid doesn't get Jake back upon his return. This is still Sid's team and he gets what he wants.

So you better find a RW for Sid and a LW for Geno

I think Kahun could fill either of those spots

I know that's why I said (I know it won't happen). Just suggesting what I would try, but fair enough.

Yeah I'd like to explore Kahun-Geno-Rust

Reactions: Trade

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think they'd do this but reuniting JJ-MP and having three righties in the top 4 reads as very attractive to me. Maybe even pair Letang and Schultz.

Nah, no way. I definitely don't want to put Johnson on his off-side and I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable with MP on the right side. If I'd be going after something like this, I'd be trying to move Johnson and pick up a cheaper RD option for the bottom pair with Pettersson.

I'm fine with running with Marino-Letang and Dumoulin-Schultz in the top-4, and even re-signing Schultz if he's not looking for a raise on what he's making now, but you have to move out Johnson and bring in a cheaper bottom pair RD to do that. Someone like Bortuzzo would be a good example of a cheaper RD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad