Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Is one moon enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
I'm not sure why people want a forward for Galchenyuk.

We're 5th in the league in scoring, 23rd in the league in goals against (Mostly thanks to Jarry). Schultz hasn't been playing well and is an UFA after this season. You trade Galchenyuk for Miller, then you can move Schultz at the deadline if Miller plays well. You get a right-handed offensive-defenseman for 2 seasons at $3.8M a season.

Galchenyuk for Colin Miller makes perfect sense. The Sabres have a plethora of defenseman. Miller isn't playing not because he's bad, but because of the absolute dearth of defenseman they have. You unload an under-performing player who doesn't fit to help with Buffalo's powerplay. The Penguins get more defensive depth and a potential replacement for Schultz. I just don't see Galchenyuk's value being much higher than that, and whatever forward you get in return isn't going to be better than what we have, it makes no sense.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Nah, no way. I definitely don't want to put Johnson on his off-side and I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable with MP on the right side. If I'd be going after something like this, I'd be trying to move Johnson and pick up a cheaper RD option for the bottom pair with Pettersson.

I'm fine with running with Marino-Letang and Dumoulin-Schultz in the top-4, and even re-signing Schultz if he's not looking for a raise on what he's making now, but you have to move out Johnson and bring in a cheaper bottom pair RD to do that. Someone like Bortuzzo would be a good example of a cheaper RD.

The rumour was we were trying to get Honka before Dec 1st (RFA deadline). Obviously it didn’t happen and he didn’t sign with Dallas so he’s playing the year in Europe.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I don't think they'd do this but reuniting JJ-MP and having three righties in the top 4 reads as very attractive to me. Maybe even pair Letang and Schultz.

I don't see this happening- this staff is pretty adamant about handedness when everyone is healthy.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The rumour was we were trying to get Honka before Dec 1st (RFA deadline). Obviously it didn’t happen and he didn’t sign with Dallas so he’s playing the year in Europe.

Where was that rumor? I never saw that. It does make some sense, but I'm just not sure what you're referring to.

We're 5th in the league in scoring, 23rd in the league in goals against (Mostly thanks to Jarry). Schultz hasn't been playing well and is an UFA after this season. You trade Galchenyuk for Miller, then you can move Schultz at the deadline if Miller plays well. You get a right-handed offensive-defenseman for 2 seasons at $3.8M a season.

Galchenyuk for Colin Miller makes perfect sense. The Sabres have a plethora of defenseman. Miller isn't playing not because he's bad, but because of the absolute dearth of defenseman they have. You unload an under-performing player who doesn't fit to help with Buffalo's powerplay. The Penguins get more defensive depth and a potential replacement for Schultz. I just don't see Galchenyuk's value being much higher than that, and whatever forward you get in return isn't going to be better than what we have, it makes no sense.

They wouldn't trade Schultz at the deadline, that's just not how they operate. The problem is that Miller would be just as blocked in Pittsburgh as he is in Buffalo, and while he does have a spot once Schultz leaves in free agency, he doesn't have a spot prior to that. I wouldn't mind it if they threw Riikola on top of Galchenyuk for Miller, but that does present problems and they wouldn't do what you'd want to do to solve them.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
They wouldn't trade Schultz at the deadline, that's just not how they operate. The problem is that Miller would be just as blocked in Pittsburgh as he is in Buffalo, and while he does have a spot once Schultz leaves in free agency, he doesn't have a spot prior to that. I wouldn't mind it if they threw Riikola on top of Galchenyuk for Miller, but that does present problems and they wouldn't do what you'd want to do to solve them.

I posted this in another thread, but what kind of RH dman could the Pens realistically target for Gally AND Schultz?
You'd think a team that wants to clear cap space next year would be interested

Reactions: Louis Hensler

Louis Hensler

Jul 24, 2019

Isn't Scandella better?

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Where was that rumor? I never saw that. It does make some sense, but I'm just not sure what you're referring to.

It was a twitter guy. He has hockey ties (worked for a couple NHL teams now in junior hockey) but he’s more of a 2nd tier “insider”. He posts everything he hears though even if it’s very preliminary unlike a Bob or a Friedman who let things play out a bit first because most things never eventuate.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Where are you getting your numbers from because he’s a +1 in plus/minus and has 9 ES points so that would mean 8 goals against at ES in 30 games.

He gets a plus when he is on the ice for a goal irrespective of getting points of course.

Anyway - you can look at NHL.com - just look under plus/minus for our team, and it is broken down how many goals for/against players have been on the ice for. I subtracted goals against while on the PK.

In any event, let me state for the record that I an still high on Petts for the future, but I think he was disappointing in November, and that it is fully deserved that Sully often plays JJ more these days.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I posted this in another thread, but what kind of RH dman could the Pens realistically target for Gally AND Schultz?

I think it's a moot point to discuss, because I honestly can't see a way the Penguins trade Schultz this year. I think it's possible they keep him for the year, let him walk and then trade for Miller or someone like Miller to replace him on the bottom pair, but I just can't see them trading him. It would be so out of character for them, just because Schultz hasn't been that bad this year (at least not as bad as Hagelin was last year) and the team is thriving.

If the team was struggling, I could see him getting traded like Hagelin was traded last year. But that's not happening.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Getting a RD makes no sense to me. We're super stocked, and shedding Schultz's salary this summer to give Marino opportunity makes perfect sense to me. I'd run with what we've got.

Tbh... I could see a LD, but personally, the defence is just fine when the goaltenders are making saves.

I don't see this happening- this staff is pretty adamant about handedness when everyone is healthy.

I know, but I prefer Marino in the top 4, and I prefer JJ with Pettersson to JJ with Schultz. A man can dream.

Louis Hensler

Jul 24, 2019
I like the way you think. Look for a Brassard and Sheahan for McCann and Bjugstad deal. Wouldn't a trade like that probably come later in the year? How many teams start thinking about clearing cap space before the first of the year?

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I think it's a moot point to discuss, because I honestly can't see a way the Penguins trade Schultz this year. I think it's possible they keep him for the year, let him walk and then trade for Miller or someone like Miller to replace him on the bottom pair, but I just can't see them trading him. It would be so out of character for them, just because Schultz hasn't been that bad this year (at least not as bad as Hagelin was last year) and the team is thriving.

If the team was struggling, I could see him getting traded like Hagelin was traded last year. But that's not happening.

Doesn't JR typically like to deal soon to be UFA's in season? I mean, we're about to see it with Gally too.

I like the idea of an anchor on all 3 pairs. Plus a RHD guards against your yearly Letang injury and any potential Marino regression.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

Louis Hensler

Jul 24, 2019

Wouldn't the reason to trade Schulz now is that he is the Pens 6th most effective defender, and a trade could upgrade the Pens at 3RD when Marino is bumped up to 2RD?

Reactions: Gfroer

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010

Given the history of injuries, I would do it anyway.

Isn't Scandella better?

He's a left-handed shot. I know people hate Jack Johnson, but he's been good this year.

Louis Hensler

Jul 24, 2019
Given the history of injuries, I would do it anyway.

He's a left-handed shot. I know people hate Jack Johnson, but he's been good this year.
Forgot you were looking to replace Schultz. When I was looking at this over the weekend, I thought LD was our bigger need since we're playing RDs on their off side right now. But, yeah, Dumo's coming back eventually, and then Schultz will be the weakest link.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Dumo-Letang
(JJ)?-Marino
Petts-Schultz

1st is a lock for Sully come playoff time whether or not people want them split. Petts could be with Marino but the way he and Schultz are playing they are more a third pair. I really think this is our pairing outlook. If we decide to upgrade JJ is the only realistic scenario. Doubt Schultz gets traded.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah. With how well JJ has played this year I think it would be a huge issue to replace him. He seems like a really solid locker room personality and he does a lot of body sacrifices no one else on the blue line does.

That is one reason why I'm fine with acquiring Miller, because I do like this defense for next year:

Pettersson-Letang
Dumoulin-Marino
Johnson-Miller

And I don't think that defense is prohibitively expensive, either. You can get Miller for 1 year, and if Marino ends up continuing to be this good, you can let Miller walk after next year.

Reactions: ownal

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
That is one reason why I'm fine with acquiring Miller, because I do like this defense for next year:

Pettersson-Letang
Dumoulin-Marino
Johnson-Miller

And I don't think that defense is prohibitively expensive, either. You can get Miller for 1 year, and if Marino ends up continuing to be this good, you can let Miller walk after next year.

You're fine in the personnel Dept but not sure Petts can handle 1st pairing. If he picks it up him and Marino could make sense. I don't see why Sully breaks up Letang-Dumo. They are his meal ticket come playoff time.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
We can move Bjugstad, Schultz, ZAR, and Simon for guys who would complete this team. Better fits for our system. And losing all 4 of those guys wouldn't hurt us at all, while also not having to give up a first round pick this season. This is setup perfectly as long as JR makes the right moves.

McCann - Crosby - Kahun
Guentzel - Malkin - Rust
Zucker - Staal - Hornqvist
Galchenyuk - Blueger - Tanev

I'd keep Simon over trading him and his cheap contract for Zucker. Even if Simon gets 2.5m next season, that's 3m less than Zucker - especially if the plan is to put him on L3. And this is saying far less about Simon then it is about Zucker. If you're acquiring expensive players who have term left, they had better be sure fire top 6 players who fit our team/centers.

McCann, Simon, Kahun, etc might not be quite as good as Zucker, but when they're almost as productive (especially Kahun and McCann) and a fraction of the cost (even considering new contracts), that goes a long way.

As for Bjugs - far more open to moving him then I was in the summer, but would still like another center coming back as I like McCann on the wing far more then in the middle. I'm not too picky about who that is, vs more so having the depth to keep McCann on the wing. A pending FA would be fine, as that gives us more cap room and would allow for TB to challenge for that spot next season.

I like Simon but McCann will want atound 6 and AJ can be the new Simon.

AJ will never be Simon. AJ will if we're lucky be a cheap Rust like player. But nothing I've seen from him so far indicates that he has the IQ/hands to replace Simon.

God no it's not. Simon's purely a product of Crosby and he has fallen off a cliff. There's no way he's getting close to $3 million, at at least from the Penguins.

Simon can't "purely a product of Crosby" when Simon is making Crosby better every time they step on the ice together.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Like i stated earlier, you can work with either a LD or a RD add BUT the perfect get would be a Scandella or Martinez type(or Brodie).
Allows you to do the handedness thing and have a really good top 4.

Dumo-Letang
Scandella/Martinez/Brodie-Marino/Schultz
MP-Marino/Schultz

Thats the ideal.
Thats what i'd like the focus to be on top of a better fit than Chucky but i'm fine with the F's for the most part. Just get into trouble when injuries hit and guys like Simon/ZAR are elevated. Fully healthy it's one of Chucky/ZAR/Simon sitting so...

Believe they'll treat JS as their own rental. So, yea, don't see him going anywhere.

ETA: Also acceptable are Miller, McCabe, Montour.

Reactions: Hamurai

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Simon can't "purely a product of Crosby" when Simon is making Crosby better every time they step on the ice together.

If your entire argument for Simon is citing his fancy stats, while offering nothing beyond those stats, you're not actually making an argument.

Spare me this "Simon's xGF% with Crosby is good!" stuff. What actually good does Simon do? Why is xGF% an accurate representation of how a player is playing? Why does that override that Simon flat out can't produce away from Crosby and has like 5 goals in the last calendar year? Analytics are a supplementary piece towards an argument, not the sole argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad