Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Is one moon enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Continue here...

I mean the $'s the same. CDS got 1.25, Saros 1.5.
Just sayin' they should try and lock Jarrs in right now and let Murr's fate play out.

We have 3 goalies who have proven to be NHL-capable goalies. Honestly not one of them has proven to be a true #1 over the stretch of a season.

That said - you seriously would not deal Murray if it brought a really good 2 RD with term to replace Schultz (making him expendable for a pick or whatever)? What about a top-6 F? (Hall, Nylander, or even a step back from those guys on a lesser deal)? I feel like we're getting attached to the guy who's shown great poise while being no more immune to goalie lulls as anyone else.

Of course 87 and 71 deserve more offensive talent around them. That is my whole point. We used to lose our $#@% when Shero failed to address the problem and kept isolating our two best players in favor of bringing in more defensemen, etc. Well, 87 and 71 were a LOT younger then. They were also a lot more dominant offensively, even though we still see flashes.

You're right about Hall, but that is also my point. JR literally has to go out and acquire a former league MVP in order to make sure the player gets into the top 6 under Sullivan. It should not have to be that way. We should be able to do what Colorado does and acquire players of Donskoi's ilk and caliber, or Kadri, Burakovsky and Nichushkin, without seeing those players' value take a nosedive a few short weeks later.

Sullivan keeps making JR's job harder and harder. One of these years, JR will not be able to overcome that. Even Hall of Famers lose their skill level at some point.

You would trade Matt Murray for a No. 2 right defenseman?

Yes.

Either straight up, or with a + (from their side) of course depending on who the guy is. Most RD's would be a number 2 on the Penguins behind Letang, but with his guaranteed 20 games missed per year, they'd slot to #1 for good stretches. Pretty important position on this team in particular and is not one we should overlook with the honest probability that Schultz is gone by either February or July.

How did Murray not prove that last year? Playing 50 games with a .920 save% is 10000% a "true #1". Hell, he was even a true #1 in 17-18, even with his crappy stats.

No, I'm not overreacting to Jarry being good for 10 games and I'm realizing that goalies are way too variable to bail on a proven one for a guy with like 40 games of NHL experience as a backup. Trading Murray for a defenseman is pointless anyway, and trading Murray for a top-6 forward is only something that should be considered next off-season (as in 2021 off-season) if Jarry proves he can be a cup caliber #1 goalie.

Not sure who you were replying to since you didn’t reply to anyone, but it goes back to the older threads on this. There’s no reason to deal Murray in season, even if he is supplanted by Jarry.

Maybe you can make a case in the off-season or at the draft, depending on how this season plays out and Murray/Jarry’s contract demands, but nothing now would make much sense.

You want to trade the starting goaltender because the No. 1 defenseman gets hurt all the time?

How about this: keep your two young, cheap goaltenders and trade the $7.25 Ben Weider student of a No. 1 defenseman before he has zero value left?

All we need is another John Marino and we could move on from both Schultz and Letang.

Yeah, it was just a general reply to anyone suggesting trading Murray. Unless Murray is demanding an absurd asking price on his extension, there's no reason to move him. The first chance to move him comes with the next expansion draft, where you'll lose one of Jarry or Murray for nothing if you don't trade one of them.

Maybe the thought of trading Murray isn't "wrong", but it's super premature. It's way too early to make that suggestion.

Agreed. But we need to know more about both of these goaltenders before we can draw any conclusions prior to the expansion draft. Could it be that we of all teams will be forced to move a goaltender before BOTH expansion years? What have we become, a goaltending factory of all of a sudden?

He had good stretches just like any goalie. I'm not going to downplay his time here in an argument as a means to trading him. The fact that he's been good is obviously a reason some of the names have popped up in trades (Nylander/Hall). Simply because Jarry hasn't played 50 games is no reason to utterly discredit him either. (in fact he's played more in a much more brutal travel schedule down in the A riding buses versus flying in private planes, but that's another argument) Murray has been propped up by stacked Penguins teams just as much as Jarry has been overlooked at the NHL level.

My thoughts of trading him stemmed before this stretch of Jarry. Frankly they began after the sweep against the Islanders. This team is truly about as far beyond the performance of their goalie as any team can be. We rely far more on shot blocking from our forwards/D and offense-generation than we do on the performance of our goalie. He was incapable of saving us when we had no offense....just as he was capable of looking great when we were lighting up Lundqvist for 5. As such, I don't feel like committing to the position / him in particular....not when we can get a legitimate asset in return. If we had some schmuck behind him it would be a different story - but Jarry is showing he can play against NHL systems and forwards (last night is why I wasn't preaching to trade Murray after the Isles series...because you need to see first hand if your future has the ability to win games at the NHL level / for stretches). That's enough. How high /how long he shows that is utterly pointless when you recognize that no matter who the goalie is- they're capable of hot and cold streaks. That's the logic behind it. You're not trading a #1 because you drafted S.Knight and gamble everything.

Bob has just as likely of a chance of taking Florida deep in the playoffs as Craig Anderson, or Binnington, or Elliot, or Murray, or Jones, or Ward, etc. The position is the most volatile of any position and gets ridiculously overrated (due in large part because some goalies make others look much better than they are). Not overrated? The C position, or D depth.

#2 dman in the league? Sure.

But if Jarry does prove himself(im talking after the season and playoffs are over, even if TJ earns the starting role for playoffs id still keep MM instead of trading to improve the lineup) then we can move him for a top forward/dman.

Since we also have to factor in his contract demands too. Not to mention, Seattle coming soon and we'd have another Fleury/Murray situation.

But lets see Jarry keep this up first. Shutting out the Blues while we were missing half our team and coming off b2b losses being outscored 10-4? So far so good. Hes had one bad game so far. Murray has been a mess.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Instead of bringing posts from the other thread, what I'll say about trading Murray: there's no reason to trade him anytime soon. You are not pressed for cap space or needs on your roster, and I don't think you should be pressed this off-season if you're smart with your money. Assuming they can't move Bjugstad without taking similar money back (which would cause me to keep him), I don't have concerns with this lineup:

McCann-Crosby-Kahun
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
Simon-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
Tanev-Blueger-Lafferty/ZAR
Lafferty/ZAR

Pettersson-Letang
Dumoulin-Marino
Johnson-FA/trade
Riikola-Ruhwedel

Murray-Jarry

And based on some rough estimates for cap hits for the pending free agents, you should have about $5-$7 million in cap space with this lineup. I don't see any pressing reason to trade Murray, at least until the next expansion draft. To me, trading Murray because of Jarry's performance would be a heinous overreaction to a super small sample size. If Jarry ends up legit, you keep Murray as platoon the two until you can't do that anymore.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Instead of bringing posts from the other thread, what I'll say about trading Murray: there's no reason to trade him anytime soon. You are not pressed for cap space or needs on your roster, and I don't think you should be pressed this off-season if you're smart with your money. Assuming they can't move Bjugstad without taking similar money back (which would cause me to keep him), I don't have concerns with this lineup:

McCann-Crosby-Kahun
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
Simon-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
Lafferty/ZAR

Pettersson-Letang
Dumoulin-Marino
Johnson-FA/trade
Riikola-Ruhwedel

Murray-Jarry

And based on some rough estimates for cap hits for the pending free agents, you should have about $5-$7 million in cap space with this lineup. I don't see any pressing reason to trade Murray, at least until the next expansion draft. To me, trading Murray because of Jarry's performance would be a heinous overreaction to a super small sample size. If Jarry ends up legit, you keep Murray as platoon the two until you can't do that anymore.

Agree to disagree, and agree, and disagree.

I don't feel any urgent need to trade Murray - I just strongly consider it for the right return [which can be said about most players]...for him that could be a legitimate top-6 F or top-4 D.

I do want them to make a decision with the goalie situation though. This is supposed to be a very deep draft, and the goalie market is as dry and tight as I've seen it - so I think you can squeeze a solid pick out of CDS or a legitimate + out of any potential MM deal before the draft.

As far as Bjugstad is concerned, honestly I'll be a bit disappointed if we can't manuever him off the roster by the TDL. It's not that he's been bad, he's just not been worth his $4M price tag to this team. He's been outright outperformed by guys making 1/4th his money, so I'd rather have the cap space/pick he'd return - or try and gamble on someone else. From what we've seen, the team genuinely receives no positive or negative impact to whether or not he dresses on a given gameday.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013

McCann-Crosby-Kahun
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
Simon-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
Lafferty/ZAR

Pettersson-Letang
Dumoulin-Marino
Johnson-FA/trade
Riikola-Ruhwedel

Murray-Jarry

I get your line of thinking. Hopefully both goalies push each other in a good way. I just worry about Murray at a high dollar value, hopefully if he resigns it's much more reasonable.

I will say I do not want to watch a 3rd line of Simon-Bjug-Horny. Those are 3 players that concern me with how they fit the system and their impact.

I really hope we can get someone else to mesh with the top 6 and spread talent like McCann back to the 3rd.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

McCann-Crosby-Kahun
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
Simon-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
Lafferty/ZAR

Pettersson-Letang
Dumoulin-Marino
Johnson-FA/trade
Riikola-Ruhwedel

Murray-Jarry

What’s Murray’s contract going to look like though? It certainly depends a lot on the rest of this season but he will likely command 5+ years at $6-7 million. That’s a lot for a platoon. And if anything bad happens to him it’s also virtually untradable.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
There’s no reason to trade Murray unless he won’t take a 1-2 year deal as a RFA...that’s the real issue...JR I think is going to offer him a 5-6 year deal at $6 mil+ AAV let’s say...and the smart thing would be not to do that but to offer short deals to both Murray and Jarry and kick the can down to the Seattle draft...the fear though is that JR is going to pay Murray a lot because of past glories...

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What’s Murray’s contract going to look like though? It certainly depends a lot on the rest of this season but he will likely command 5+ years at $6-7 million. That’s a lot for a platoon. And if anything bad happens to him it’s also virtually untradable.

1. Murray at 5 years at $6.5 million is absolutely not "untradable" for Murray. And you can apply the "if anything bad happens, he'll be untradable" to any player. Unless Murray loses an arm, he's going to be tradable because he's a 25 year old starting goalie with 2 cups.
2. Who cares how much you're spending on Murray if Jarry's also going to be cheap and you have cap space to address the other needs of your roster?

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
I don't think it's a given at all that Murray is gonna get 6.5-7 million right now. Dude has been trash and has had his starting job taken from him by a rookie.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'd be shocked if Murray took a deal short of $6 million. I think if you asked the same question after his great finish to last season, the number would probably be north of $7 million.

We're gonna pay him, we just are. I hope it's not going to burn us in the end.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I don't think it's a given at all that Murray is gonna get 6.5-7 million right now. Dude has been trash and has had his starting job taken from him by a rookie.
I'd give him a three year deal at six million per at most, anything higher or longer term and I hold off.

Louis Hensler

Jul 24, 2019
I get your line of thinking. Hopefully both goalies push each other in a good way. I just worry about Murray at a high dollar value, hopefully if he resigns it's much more reasonable.

I will say I do not want to watch a 3rd line of Simon-Bjug-Horny. Those are 3 players that concern me with how they fit the system and their impact.

I really hope we can get someone else to mesh with the top 6 and spread talent like McCann back to the 3rd.
I see no reason to think about making a move at goalie right now, but once the team gets healthy, I think there may be some forwards that should be kept on the big club. Without getting into the potential controversy of naming names, I could see as many as two or three guys in that category. That would mean that two or three forwards would need to leave the roster. I'm looking at Chucky for sure. I would like to see Bjug at a chance at wing (since he's a right shot, where we're thin) before letting him go. Agree that he has been outplayed at center, but I thought the idea on him always was that he could be an effective RW, and I don't think we've seen yet whether that's true. I think we've seen enough of Chucky to know that some of the WBS guys are better.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
As for the whole thing about JR saying Galchenyuk's spot isn't safe, I'll believe it when I see it. This is more of that tough love crap JR loves to dole out.

Galchenyuk won't be benched (and it's not JR's decision anyway) regardless of how bad he's playing on any given night. This team loves trying to force guys through slumps as opposed to benching them and giving someone else a chance to step up.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
As for the whole thing about JR saying Galchenyuk's spot isn't safe, I'll believe it when I see it. This is more of that tough love crap JR loves to dole out.

Galchenyuk won't be benched (and it's not JR's decision anyway) regardless of how bad he's playing on any given night. This team loves trying to force guys through slumps as opposed to benching them and giving someone else a chance to step up.

Where did he say that?

Edit: just saw it on twitter

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009

Do. Not. Ever. Do. This. Deal!

Ok. Maybe not "ever" but anytime soon.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think the most realistic "positive" outcome of Murray's situation is that he accepts a 2-year deal so we get to see what Jarry can do in an increased role and see if Murray can pull himself out of his issues, probably a bit north of $6 million (realistically).

The worst case is that he signs that deal Jacob outlined, and we're locked into Murray for the long haul only for him to continue to struggle with injuries and inconsistency.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Didn’t read the JR article but sounds like more stupid JR mouth opening BS.

All he said was that him and Malkin’s styles don’t mesh well, that his spot isn’t guaranteed when they’re healthy (this seems obvious at this point?) and that he’s a hard worker who started behind the curve due to his injury.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
The real interesting thing with Hall is what does HE WANT?
Shero can trade him to say a MTL but does Taylor Hall really wanna sign on there long term? I highly doubt it.
Same sorta thing with CGY.

Thats where PIT comes into the conversation.
Sadly, i can see COL being the team we'd need to beat out if he did hit UFA.
But the optics are there for JR to clear the money needed and to entice a Hall to come here for sure for legit Cup runs or rather to get into the mix in a big way if he did hit UFA.

Last edited:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I just don't see a realistic scenario where we land Hall in a trade. That would gut our assets/prospects and seriously screw with our cap situation moving forward should we re-sign him.

He's phenomenal and he'd be unreal with Sid or Geno, but I think we'd be more than fine with a smaller fish like Kreider--who I think would also be exceptional in our top-6.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
So what do we do if Murray wants more years or money? We can’t make him sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad