Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Is one moon enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
it’s weird. Def feels like entire league overcompensated because I swear RDs were super scarce and in demand like 18 months ago.

I still like my idea for trading for Fowler. ;) Don't think we can make the cap work though, he's a 6.5 AAV for 6 more years.

Fowler-Letang
Dumo-Marino

Dumo-Letang
Fowler-Marino

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
That’s a range of production anywhere from normal to very good.

Ya again it's more so, that I don't see them trading away depth and not getting any back. The years to win are now. Why weaken the depth. If you move Bjugs and Gally. Your 13th forward becomes AJ with Zar and Simon guaranteed spots.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I don't think we have to trade for defensemen. I'm pretty content with what we have when healthy.

Reactions: Ryder71

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
What about something around Gally for Miller and Vesey @50%?
Salary evens out and the pens can opt out of resigning Vesey if they want.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I don't think we have to trade for defensemen. I'm pretty content with what we have when healthy.
i think there is a bigger need for a defense man than a forward when healthily although with this years draft class we sure could use a few high picks.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
We have what looks on paper to be three very winnable home games in front of us next week - Habs, Jackets and Kings - and then its road-trip time in Western Canada for the pre-Christmas week... where according to projections we could have Sid back for at least some of it.

I think next week is Galchenyuk's chance to make an impact that either gets him an extended look or polishes his trade value. When Sid is back is when JR is likely to get serious about how to upgrade. But if we play to potential in the next couple of weeks.... we should be looking rather pretty in the standings. Not many hot teams on the calendar.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
i think there is a bigger need for a defense man than a forward when healthily although with this years draft class we sure could use a few high picks.

We are tied for 7th in the league in goals against per game, despite lots of injuries and Murray having struggled. Both Petterson and Schultz will hopefully make positive steps to improve from what they have shown so far, and I think it seems like a bit of a challenge to make a genuine improvement here that doesn't merely succeed in making Riikola and Ruh 7-9 rather than 6-8.
If you don't get a guy who truly moves the needle, that is basically all you accomplish, I think.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I just know when things ratchet up this season the ones who are gonna struggle on the back are:

MP, JJ, JS, Riiko, Ruh.

They really need something to sturdy the middle pairing.
I believe at best when healthy all of Letang, Marino, Dumo are in the top 4 and you hope JS figures it out then you'd just have to worry about a decent 3rd pairing.

They gotta move on from JJ. When things ratcheted up vs Columbus in their barn he looked like he did in the PO's vs the Isles. He's just not ever gonna get smarter folks.
As of now you pray the top D stay healthy and if JJ is in, he's not costing you.
I'd love to just be free of him altogether but they still love him to fill in, in the top 4 and on the PK.
It really needs to stop if you have any hopes of a run.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I would not move Petts... he is young and going to go through ups and downs... i think his reach will be invaluable in the playoffs...

I think we may be showcasing Ruh right now tbh...

Gally is probably just a really bad fit thus far... maybe he is like neal where it’s going to take a half season... but i think they won’t wait that long

We absolutely need another forward because when sid gets back if they deal him

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I just know when things ratchet up this season the ones who are gonna struggle on the back are:

MP, JJ, JS, Riiko, Ruh.

They really need something to sturdy the middle pairing.
I believe at best when healthy all of Letang, Marino, Dumo are in the top 4 and you hope JS figures it out then you'd just have to worry about a decent 3rd pairing.

They gotta move on from JJ. When things ratcheted up vs Columbus in their barn he looked like he did in the PO's vs the Isles. He's just not ever gonna get smarter folks.
As of now you pray the top D stay healthy and if JJ is in, he's not costing you.
I'd love to just be free of him altogether but they still love him to fill in, in the top 4 and on the PK.
It really needs to stop if you have any hopes of a run.

You write like you haven't been watching or just refuse to believe what is there to see, IMO. Not that you are alone in this, but still the above is kind of out there.
You point out Jack Johnson in Columbus.... he was a +2, led us in hits and had zero giveaways or penalties in a 5-2 loss. What an idiot, ey? His play was such, that when Dumo went down early the next day, Johnson played +26 minutes in St.Louis, second only to Letang.

No team has six great D-men, and when despite our injuries and poor Murray goal tending, the D is as effective defensively as we have been, you need to credit that D more. After all among those you do rate, Letang has lost 8 games and Dumo 7... and we have trucked along rather fine when they weren't in the lineup.

Having said that - I think both Petterson and Schultz have been mediocre tending to poor defensively. Those are the two among the starters who need to get their stuff right. Schultz has some injury excuses. Petterson.... not much. This is not helping the contract he is likely to be offered early in the new year.

Reactions: Still Apps

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Where did I say they need some grizzled vet. I just think you need more depth come playoffs. Gally is on pace for 39pts. You still lose that depth if you get rid of him and dont get anyone. Bjugs should be moved but I think if you move both you should still get another winger. I dont get why that is crazy.

This is the bottom 6 pace.

McCann is on pace for 52
Tanev is on pace for 44pts

Lafferty is on pace for 35pts
Simon is on pace for 35pts

Zar is on pace for 19pts
TB is on pace for 21pts

Thats a big drop to ZAR and TB with injuries you'd have Nosen, Johnson, Blandsi in the line up. I just dont think that is good enough for playoffs.

Jesus christ we are so f***in spoiled

That is the best bottom 6 in the NHL. Especially considering that Hornqvist will presumably be in there too.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I hope the rumored "I got your back" deal JR has with Petts for taking a 1yr deal doesn't mean a substantial increase in pay, cuz he's absolutely not earning it right now. I also hope it means JJ will be moved sooner rather than later to make room for Petts moving forward, who I think is a 3rd pairing LD at the moment as is JJ.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Man, if we can upgrade on Aston-Reese, Simon, Johnson, and Galchenyuk, coaching this team should be idiot proof.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I'd take it a step further and not look to add anyone at any position. That could change obviously, but I like our team as is.

We got THREE good goalies. We our at least eight or nine deep on defense (albeit some are iffy but you'll have that), deep on wing, deep at center.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I hope the rumored "I got your back" deal JR has with Petts for taking a 1yr deal doesn't mean a substantial increase in pay, cuz he's absolutely not earning it right now. I also hope it means JJ will be moved sooner rather than later to make room for Petts moving forward, who I think is a 3rd pairing LD at the moment as is JJ.
The most I would want to see Pettersson get is what this team gave Oleksiak, I don't feel he's earned more than that as of this point in the season.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I don’t get why Pettersson is being pooped on all of a sudden. He’s playing exactly the same as last season. He’s on pace for 27 points and has been ok defensively at worst.

Petterson was on the ice for 31 ES goals against last season for us in 57 games. This season so far it is 25 against in 30 games, and we give up less than we did last year.

I think it is visible also, him being beaten 1 on 1 and for pace considerably more this season. He started out well enough I thought, but seemed to be really sliding in November, IMO. I sure think it is wrong to say he is playing exactly the same as last season.

Reactions: Riptide

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Petterson was on the ice for 31 ES goals against last season for us in 57 games. This season so far it is 25 against in 30 games, and we give up less than we did last year.

I think it is visible also, him being beaten 1 on 1 and for pace considerably lot more this season. He started out well enough but seemed to be really sliding in November, IMO. I sure think it is wrong to say he is playing exactly the same as last season.

Look at what he’s playing in front of. The Murray of last season from when he was acquired to this season is night and day. The save% behind him stinks.

Reactions: JackFr

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
You write like you haven't been watching or just refuse to believe what is there to see, IMO. Not that you are alone in this, but still the above is kind of out there.
You point out Jack Johnson in Columbus.... he was a +2, led us in hits and had zero giveaways or penalties in a 5-2 loss. What an idiot, ey? His play was such, that when Dumo went down early the next day, Johnson played +26 minutes in St.Louis, second only to Letang.

No team has six great D-men, and when despite our injuries and poor Murray goal tending, the D is as effective defensively as we have been, you need to credit that D more. After all among those you do rate, Letang has lost 8 games and Dumo 7... and we have trucked along rather fine when they weren't in the lineup.

Having said that - I think both Petterson and Schultz have been mediocre tending to poor defensively. Those are the two among the starters who need to get their stuff right. Schultz has some injury excuses. Petterson.... not much. This is not helping the contract he is likely to be offered early in the new year.

Checked the lineups for that CBJ game and JJ played with Marino. Go figure. Re: His +/-.
BUT i remember him sucking total ass chasing guys and being a step behind all night. He was awful in that one playing with our best defender tho so Marino proped him up to the +2.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Checked the lineups for that CBJ game and JJ played with Marino. Go figure. Re: His +/-.
BUT i remember him sucking total ass chasing guys and being a step behind all night. He was awful in that one playing with our best defender tho so Marino proped him up to the +2.
Literally the only downside to Marino is that he has a 2yr contract and we aren't getting a 3rd year out of this absolute beauty of a steal.

207681.gif

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I don’t get why Pettersson is being pooped on all of a sudden. He’s playing exactly the same as last season. He’s on pace for 27 points and has been ok defensively at worst.
I think there are two reasons as to why this may be happening. First off the emergence of Marino kinda makes MP look ''more ordinary'' in comparison (if you get what I mean). And secondly you would hope MP would progress a little from last season as he has more time here within the system. I don't necessarily see that step forward in his game. I don't think he's been bad, but there have been games where he was decidedly out of position or pinched when he shouldn't have a time or two more per game than last season. Last season I thought his positioning and ability to read the situation was more sound. Maybe he's trying to do too much.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChaosAgent
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->