Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - If the dog days had dog days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Why should he have a huge decline? He didn't get too much of a boost here from his days in Toronto other than his single 92 point season.

He gets his points pretty much regardless of who he plays with. It's why it made so much sense to put him on the third line.

I mean, if you just look at points and ignore literally all context, you can say this.

Kessel isn't close to what he once was in Toronto. He was legitimately one of the best ES producers in his last few years in Toronto, outside of his terrible end to the 2014-2015 season with Toronto. In Pittsburgh, he just got a **** load of powerplay points while playing with Malkin and playing in a league with much higher scoring. He's not going to average 40 powerplay points a season with Arizona like he did in his last 2 years with Pittsburgh. Even if you assume his ES production will stay about the same, the decrease in powerplay production probably knocks off about 15-20 points on him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Turin

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Why should he have a huge decline? He didn't get too much of a boost here from his days in Toronto other than his single 92 point season.

He gets his points pretty much regardless of who he plays with. It's why it made so much sense to put him on the third line.

Kessel had a dramatic fall in ES numbers and a dramatic rise in PP numbers.

If his ES numbers stay roughly the same and his PP numbers fall in line with Arizona's PP%, then his numbers are probably going to go down and go down hard.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I should also point out that Galchenyuk is analytically a better powerplay player than Kessel is, and he only managed 21 PP points last year with Arizona. Kessel may hit like 25 powerplay points with Arizona, but I just really struggle to see him hitting much more than that. He averaged around 25 powerplay points per season with Toronto, and Toronto's powerplay was around middle of the pack over Kessel's career there and Kessel was better in those years. As another comparison, Keller in 2017-2018 only had 20 powerplay points with Arizona, which was the most on the team.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I should also point out that Galchenyuk is analytically a better powerplay player than Kessel is, and he only managed 21 PP points last year with Arizona. Kessel may hit like 25 powerplay points with Arizona, but I just really struggle to see him hitting much more than that. He averaged around 25 powerplay points per season with Toronto, and Toronto's powerplay was around middle of the pack over Kessel's career there and Kessel was better in those years. As another comparison, Keller in 2017-2018 only had 20 powerplay points with Arizona, which was the most on the team.

Kessel QB’d our powerplay tho’

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I predict 25 goals and 70 points for Kessel.
28 goals and 61 points for Chucky.

25 goals and 60 points for Galchenyuk. I think we're going to see shades of Sykora with him playing next to Geno (assuming that happens).

Last edited:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

I honestly hate the comparison predictions. At this time I don't give a shit what 81 does anymore. I wish him well in life and happiness outside of hockey. He is the reason we have 2 Cups here on top of the other 3. Absolutely love his tenure and understand why they had to move on from it with the NTC/age. That's business.

But I just simply don't care what he does in the West.

Reactions: Khelandros

pokey10

Neat
Apr 26, 2016
Pittsburgh
I honestly hate the comparison predictions. At this time I don't give a **** what 81 does anymore. I wish him well in life and happiness outside of hockey. He is the reason we have 2 Cups here on top of the other 3. Absolutely love his tenure and understand why they had to move on from it with the NTC/age. That's business.

But I just simply don't care what he does in the West.

*Laughs in Coldplay lyrics*

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
X - Stepan - Kessel could easily have an HBK like impact for them with the right LW, but I think those expecting thirty goals out of Phil will be disappointed.

Perhaps... the difference is that they won't have Crosby and/or Malkin to hide behind.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Here is what I expect:

Kessel will be an offensive hog and look to shoot way more on his new team until (and if) he settles in and has good gel'ing line-mates. With this, I would bet he has a breakthrough season on goal output. A rough and ugly +/-

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think we're going to get some clarity on the Pettersson situation this week, with camp starting in 10 days. I believe MP's agent basically said that a contract has to be done this week so Pettersson can get the visa he needs before training camp, so I'd bet we see a move to get cap compliant by the end of this week.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
There is almost no way he produces that much in Arizona. You're acting like he's not going to have any sort of decline in production by leaving a team with Sid and Geno and going to a terrible offensive team.

I'd be shocked if he gets above 70 points. 60-65 is a fair guess, expecting Kessel to be a PPG player still is crazy unrealistic.

doubt that he fails to get 70.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
doubt that he fails to get 70.

Based on what? He's going to drop 15-20 points just from leaving the Penguins powerplay, that alone takes him to 60-65. Do you think he's going to be putting up more than 25 powerplay points? Because the only time he has done that is when he was on a powerplay with Crosby and Malkin.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
25 goals and 60 points for Galchenyuk. I think we're going to see shades of Sykora with him playing next to Geno (assuming that happens).

Galchenyuk won't top 50 points .

Mostly because hes no longer gonna get #1 PP mins like in Arizona. his 5v5 production is meh.

35-45 points i think

Reactions: BHD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad