Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - If the dog days had dog days

Status
Not open for further replies.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Based on what? He's going to drop 15-20 points just from leaving the Penguins powerplay, that alone takes him to 60-65. Do you think he's going to be putting up more than 25 powerplay points? Because the only time he has done that is when he was on a powerplay with Crosby and Malkin.

Rookie Keller put up 65 points two seasons ago on that team.

if arizona stays healthy they're a playoff team and kessel will have some decent help.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Rookie Keller put up 65 points two seasons ago on that team.

if arizona stays healthy they're a playoff team and kessel will have some decent help.

And rookie Keller only put up 20 powerplay points than year. Again, do you think Kessel will be getting more than 25 powerplay points? Because for him to hit 70 points, he basically has to have 25 or more powerplay points.

Being generous towards Kessel (because it is very generous to say leaving Pittsburgh won't hurt his ES production), we know what he is at ES already. He's a 40ish point player at ES that will put up points regardless of who he plays with. That's not going to change much, so whether he hits 70 points is based almost entirely on how good Arizona's powerplay is. Kessel alone isn't going to take a bottom of the league powerplay to being at the levels it needs to be at for Kessel to produce a lot on the powerplay.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm going with Kessel breaking 70 points. I could certainly see it not happening, but I think first season with new team and prime opportunities will motivate Kessel. I know the hot dog stuff is funny, but the man clearly has motivation. I'll bet on that.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Didn’t JR imply it was one of Maatta or Johnson that would be moved, not both?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That article is significant for 2 reasons, that tells me a contract is basically done and this line:

Pettersson, who was acquired from Anaheim for Daniel Sprong last December, impressed the coaching staff and management with his play, and is expected to contend for a place opposite Justin Schultz on the No. 2 defense pairing this fall.

It doesn't seem like the Penguins are set with going into next year with the same D pairs. Although I should also add that I've been expecting Pettersson's contract to be done for a while, and "no negotiations" just means "it's already done, so there's nothing to negotiate".

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
That article is significant for 2 reasons, that tells me a contract is basically done and this line:

It doesn't seem like the Penguins are set with going into next year with the same D pairs. Although I should also add that I've been expecting Pettersson's contract to be done for a while, and "no negotiations" just means "it's already done, so there's nothing to negotiate".

Well the contract maybe done but he can’t sign it...I just don’t think the Pens will be able to clear space before the season to sign him to it...I just hope he’s willing to take a cheap one-year deal when the Pens likely waive Trotman and Riikola/Ruh to fit him under the cap...I wish JJ was subbed in for Riikola/Ruh, but I don’t see JR having the guts to do it...

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Well the contract maybe done but he can’t sign it...I just don’t think the Pens will be able to clear space before the season to sign him to it...I just hope he’s willing to take a cheap one-year deal when the Pens likely waive Trotman and Riikola/Ruh to fit him under the cap...I wish JJ was subbed in for Riikola/Ruh, but I don’t see JR having the guts to do it...

I can't square the confidence that it will get done with any other scenario than he's willing to do this if needs be. Probably famous last words but I'm guessing that there's two contracts agreed on and a deadline for deciding which one is used.

Well. I guess the other scenario is that Rutherford has a deal lined up to move cap that he can live with and that he'll use it if needed. But that doesn't fit with the media narrative.

Reactions: Andy99

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

That's what I'm hoping for and actually expect. I don't think sending Trotman and one of the Rs down gives the Pens enough space to sign Petterrson to a money amount he and his agent would feel is fair.

Yeah, wishful thinking on my part. :laugh:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That's what I'm hoping for and actually expect. I don't think sending Trotman and one of the Rs down gives the Pens enough space to sign Petterrson to a money amount he and his agent would feel is fair.

Yeah, wishful thinking on my part. :laugh:

I think there's a decent chance that he'd take a fairly low amount on the promise he'll be taken care of next year (with the bonus that he gets to negotiate a contract with arbitration as soon as possible, which is a worthwhile thing to think about).

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
  1. Trotman, Riikola, and Ruhwedel down gives the Pens cap space of just under $2.1M and only 6-D (which includes Petterrson).
  2. Trotman and Riikola down gives the Pens cap space of just under $1.4M and 7-D.
  3. Trotman and Ruhwedel down gives the Pens cap space of $1.24M and 7-D.
  4. Trotman and Johnson down gives the Pens cap space of just over $1.6M and 7-D.

Assuming the Pens and GMJR would want to have some cap "wiggle room", which I assume is $100k to $200k, Scenario 4 is the one I see as being most likely.

Or, as @Peat just mentioned, that MP signs for whatever money the Pens have left on a one-year deal with a handshake agreement that he gets extra money on the contract next off-season.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
  1. Trotman, Riikola, and Ruhwedel down gives the Pens cap space of just under $2.1M and only 6-D (which includes Petterrson).
  2. Trotman and Riikola down gives the Pens cap space of just under $1.4M and 7-D.
  3. Trotman and Ruhwedel down gives the Pens cap space of $1.24M and 7-D.
  4. Trotman and Johnson down gives the Pens cap space of just over $1.6M and 7-D.
Assuming the Pens and GMJR would want to have some cap "wiggle room", which I assume is $100k to $200k, Scenario 4 is the one I see as being most likely.

Or, as @Peat just mentioned, that MP signs for whatever money the Pens have left on a one-year deal with a handshake agreement that he gets extra money on the contract next off-season.
Sending JJ to WBS is the likely scenario? I hope you are right but i think you have a better chance of any other option.

JR defended JJ to death. His last 2 UFA deals for players he believes in totals 11 years between JJ and Tanev. Lol

Reactions: KIRK and Andy99

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Galchenyuk won't top 50 points .

Mostly because hes no longer gonna get #1 PP mins like in Arizona. his 5v5 production is meh.

35-45 points i think

I'm tempering my expectations with him. 35-45 pts is more likely. However, I can see him reaching 60 if he's used correctly - which would be a big "if" with the coaching staff.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Petterson can sign a contract as long as Pens don't exceed the cap by more than 10% if I'm not mistaken. I understand that they didn't want to before as it indicates to the rest of the league they have to make a move, but at this point, everyone knows that. Just sign the damn thing and move on.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm tempering my expectations with him. 35-45 pts is more likely. However, I can see him reaching 60 if he's used correctly - which would be a big "if" with the coaching staff.

What is his correct usage? And which of our forwards recently haven't been put in a good spot to succeed recently other than Daniel Sprong?

Also - at the risk of being a broken record - if that's his pace, he probably doesn't see out the season here. Anything under 45 for a guy who's here to be Malkin's wingman and see PP time is failure.

Petterson can sign a contract as long as Pens don't exceed the cap by more than 10% if I'm not mistaken. I understand that they didn't want to before as it indicates to the rest of the league they have to make a move, but at this point, everyone knows that. Just sign the damn thing and move on.

But the Pens *don't* have to make a move. That's the hold up imo. Rutherford will wait it out, but if he can't get a cap freeing move he likes, then he'll sign Pettersson to a 1 year bridge that doesn't take us over the cap and take his roster and go home. I feel reasonably confident that's what's going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad