Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - If the dog days had dog days

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
4 weeks!

Ehhhhhh let's hope it doesn't get to that point.

Most projections for Galchenyuk succeeding here involve he and Geno establishing chemistry. I don't think putting him in the Brassard role (while increasing Sid's responsibilities) is a road we want to go down unless it's an absolute last resort.

Galchenyuk would make a great option for center if Sid or Geno got injured, but otherwise I'm not too keen on the idea.

It makes it one year of pain vs several though. We can live with that.

I may be a little tipsy right now...but I'm ****ing stocked to have Galchenyuk on the team. I cant wait to see how this kid does.

I have a feeling he's gonna do very well here.
MTL was a BIG stage and he performed very well.
One, he's still young.
Two, he's back to a BIG stage and he's been there before/he'll be very comfortable imo.
Three. The quality playmaking he'll play with is a notch or 2 better than he's ever had.

Also think the core, especially Geno which is key, will get comfy with him quickly cuz of his Russian roots.

ETA: I don't think he'll ever be able to drive his own line like Phil did here but i have a feeling he'll mesh much better with Sid/G in terms of style and them playing off each other.
Sorta like Neal did with G. Chucky will mesh with one of Sid/G for sure imo.

Doubt it would be Cullen just due to a lack of experience at this point in time. Recchi perhaps.

And what is the job exactly? Not to be a complete ass, but outside of the coach and the GM (both very visible positions - even if we don't know all the ins and outs) I don't think there's anyone on this board outside of perhaps 2-3 individuals who know enough about the in's and out's of what an AGM's job actually is to judge how good Guerin is or isn't, or how good Recchi would or wouldn't be at it.

The only reason I want Guerin gone is I think getting a different voice in the front office would be a good thing. But I don't think we know nearly enough about what his duties are and how good he does them to know whether he's good at his job or not. Clearly a couple people think so or he still wouldn't be here nor would MIN be interviewing him again.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
We'd like to introduce our new assistant GM...

We've heard the fans. We know they want younger personnel. People familiar with social media life. No more dinosaurs. No more jobs given without merit.

With that said, we welcome...

Austin Lemieux to our front office.
*JR and Mario say with a straight face*

Last edited:
Reactions: HandshakeLin

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com

We've heard the fans. We know they want younger personnel. People familiar with social media life. No more dinosaurs. No more jobs given without merit.

Yeah right. It'd be Craig Adams

Reactions: EightyOne

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Boy things have been dead silent on the penguins front besides the Bill Guerin interviews.

Dont we still have to trade someone?, or is there otherwise to be cap compliant.

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
The Canes RD looks soooo nice.

Hamilton
Pesce
Faulk
TVR
Priskie
McKeown

Pens have

Letang
Schultz
Gudbranson
Ruhwedel
Trotman
:(:(:(

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
The Canes RD looks soooo nice.

Hamilton
Pesce
Faulk
TVR
Priskie
McKeown

Pens have

Letang
Schultz
Gudbranson
Ruhwedel
Trotman
:(:(:(

Canes have defenseman up the ying yang. I image Priskie will spend the whole year in the AHL (with maybe some spot call up time due to injury). Fluery and McKeown are both out of options and need to be with the big team full time. Jake Bean had a very good 1st year in the AHL. Bean's better than Fluery, McKeown or Priskie. Thinking they will still make a move yet....

Going by hand:

LD
Slavin
Fleury
Bean
Forsling

RD
Hamilton
Pesce
Faulk
TVR
Priskie
McKeown

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Riptide said:
And what is the job exactly? Not to be a complete ass, but outside of the coach and the GM (both very visible positions - even if we don't know all the ins and outs) I don't think there's anyone on this board outside of perhaps 2-3 individuals who know enough about the in's and out's of what an AGM's job actually is to judge how good Guerin is or isn't, or how good Recchi would or wouldn't be at it.

AGM (as well as GM, in some franchises) is more of a compensation classification than a set of duties. Sort of like "Senior Vice President." Within that job title, a lot of different things can be delegated by superiors. At one point, Karmanos' job was to build out a new department and integrate the feedback into hockey operations. Botterill's job at the same time was financial management. Very little overlap between the two functions.

I do agree with you that none of us really have a good idea of what Bill Guerin has been doing on a daily basis for the last 8 years, at least before he was acting as Wilkes-barre's GM.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Canes have defenseman up the ying yang. I image Priskie will spend the whole year in the AHL (with maybe some spot call up time due to injury). Fluery and McKeown are both out of options and need to be with the big team full time. Jake Bean had a very good 1st year in the AHL. Bean's better than Fluery, McKeown or Priskie. Thinking they will still make a move yet....

Going by hand:

LD
Slavin
Fleury
Bean
Forsling

RD
Hamilton
Pesce
Faulk
TVR
Priskie
McKeown

That looks like an awful nice defense when you sort it out like that. I'm not a huge fan of Trevor VanRiemsdyk, but 4th on the depth chart on RD? That's a comfortable spot to be in when somebody gets hurt.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Surprised Priskie picked an org with such depth given he was meant to want to not want to hit up the Caps due to depth things.

Boy things have been dead silent on the penguins front besides the Bill Guerin interviews.

Dont we still have to trade someone?, or is there otherwise to be cap compliant.

Rutherford says they can manage to be cap compliant without trades if needed, but we'll still probably trade. Waiting for someone to match his price.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Surprised Priskie picked an org with such depth given he was meant to want to not want to hit up the Caps due to depth things.

Rutherford says they can manage to be cap compliant without trades if needed, but we'll still probably trade. Waiting for someone to match his price.

I think it's more than just someone meeting his price at this point...radio silence everywhere points to the fact that nothing will happen trade-wise until the RFA dominos fall and that's looking to be right before training camp. There are other teams worse than the Pens cap wise (like NYR) and who need to make trades and they're not accomplishing anything either. I doubt we'll be able to make a trade before the season starts. I'll be really surprised if we don't just tender Petts at a cheap one-year deal and make a trade as needed November or December.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

They could go short a couple of players to start the season and wait for about a week into training camp when three or four players inevitably go onto long term IR.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
They could go short a couple of players to start the season and wait for about a week into training camp when three or four players inevitably go onto long term IR.

I’ll be disappointed if one of them isn’t JJ...I know I’ve developed an allergy to his play on the ice...he should be allergic to it as well...

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I’ll be disappointed if one of them isn’t JJ...I know I’ve developed an allergy to his play on the ice...he should be allergic to it as well...

Given how he negatively impacted Malkin last year Malkin might accidental catch JJ with his stick 32 times.

Reactions: Andy99

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Good. Lord knows he didn’t have the makings of a varsity athlete.

Reactions: EightyOne
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad