Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - If the dog days had dog days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
What else does he have to prove?

He has the money to sit around do nothing. Also, how is that Kings run already 5 years ago.

Oh, nothing. But Kunitz has had nothing to prove for years and he kept playing despite being ineffective.

Williams is still very good (obviously) but if he figures it's time to hang 'em up, more power to him.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Oh, nothing. But Kunitz has had nothing to prove for years and he kept playing despite being ineffective.

Williams is still very good (obviously) but if he figures it's time to hang 'em up, more power to him.

Kunitz made a little over half as much as Williams has in his career. I’m sure that was largely part of it.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I think it is nice to see a player that clearly gives a **** taking over the role of a player that was coasting (albeit to 80+ point seasons) on his natural talent.

Pretty much this.
I hope Chucky has a great season and we pay him many millions of dollars.
Someone working this hard will fit in nicely with the Sid's and Letang's and most importantly will rub off on Geno who looks like he has something to prove this season and, in my mind, was heavily influenced by Phil's cavalier attitude BUT that combo'ed with some home life stuff. Looks like G has that all sorted now and is focused as heck.

Reactions: Dominance

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I wouldn’t be shocked to see Kessel have a good season.

I also wouldn’t be shocked if he scored 60 points and was bad defensively while doing it.

I think it’ll be very hard for him to get above 60.

He’s going to one of the worst powerplays in the league. He’s going to be playing in the dredg of the West and he’s going to be the focal point of teams that actually play systematic D versus the loosey goosey Metro.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I wouldn’t be shocked to see Kessel have a good season.

I also wouldn’t be shocked if he scored 60 points and was bad defensively while doing it.

Kessel's always going to be bad defensively. Can't imagine why next season would be an outlier.

But as the big dog in Arizona, I bet playing in front of Ekman-Larsson and Hjalmarsson instead of JJ and whoever was healthy after Letang/Schultz will give his possession stats a healthy boost from this year.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
X - Stepan - Kessel could easily have an HBK like impact for them with the right LW, but I think those expecting thirty goals out of Phil will be disappointed.

He's only done that once in the last 5 years, so definitely agreed. Not sure why anyone would expect that.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Williams leaning towards retirement, that's probably why he hasn't signed anywhere yet.

Seen posts that say "taking a break, leaving the option at coming back open". I would give that a long shot, I think this is it for him. Hell of a career but when the league is getting so young and so fast and you're at the wrong end of the spectrum re: age, that year off will be A LOT to overcome.

I have seen this movie that Malkin and Chucky are in before.

Chucky and Malkin have been hitting the roid train.

...that's the movie where an incredible Russian specimen was taken down by an American. Who's the American that could take those two down?

jackjohnsonamericanflag.jpg

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I selfishly hope Williams retires as that's another 5m or so dollars and another roster spot to use on one of the teams shedding cap, and that helps us a tiny amount.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Kessel's always going to be bad defensively. Can't imagine why next season would be an outlier.

But as the big dog in Arizona, I bet playing in front of Ekman-Larsson and Hjalmarsson instead of JJ and whoever was healthy after Letang/Schultz will give his possession stats a healthy boost from this year.

I mean bad bad, like this last year.

Or not, because the Coyotes are a poor corsi team. I’d imagine playing with Malkin and a crappy dman > playing with Stepan and a better dman.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I mean bad bad, like this last year.

There's an argument for most of that dip being due to JJ:

Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick

Or not, because the Coyotes are a poor corsi team. I’d imagine playing with Malkin and a crappy dman > playing with Stepan and a better dman.

Production-wise, I'm sure it'll hurt Kessel. I'd wager he'll be in the 60-70 point range next year.

Possession-wise, I think it'll benefit him - probably end up a hair short of 50% CF. Malkin's a force offensively but possession-wise he's nothing special the last few years given how sheltered his zone starts are...the difference between the defensemen is going to be the biggest factor IMO, but we'll see.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I think it’ll be very hard for him to get above 60.

He’s going to one of the worst powerplays in the league. He’s going to be playing in the dredg of the West and he’s going to be the focal point of teams that actually play systematic D versus the loosey goosey Metro.

Idk. Their PP has some weapons and now they added Kessel.

Keller and Kessel along with OEL should be decent. along with Schmaltz once he gets healthy.

I Think Kessel will probably mesh well with Stepan...seems like the kind of centre who usually does well with Kessel.

75 points to PPG is what i expect from Kessel

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Idk. Their PP has some weapons and now they added Kessel.

Keller and Kessel along with OEL should be decent. along with Schmaltz once he gets healthy.

I Think Kessel will probably mesh well with Stepan...seems like the kind of centre who usually does well with Kessel.

75 points to PPG is what i expect from Kessel

There is almost no way he produces that much in Arizona. You're acting like he's not going to have any sort of decline in production by leaving a team with Sid and Geno and going to a terrible offensive team.

I'd be shocked if he gets above 70 points. 60-65 is a fair guess, expecting Kessel to be a PPG player still is crazy unrealistic.

BrokenStick

Feb 8, 2004
Ellwood City, PA
You're acting like he's not going to have any sort of decline in production by leaving a team with Sid and Geno and going to a terrible offensive team.

Why should he have a huge decline? He didn't get too much of a boost here from his days in Toronto other than his single 92 point season.

He gets his points pretty much regardless of who he plays with. It's why it made so much sense to put him on the third line.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Why should he have a huge decline? He didn't get too much of a boost here from his days in Toronto other than his single 92 point season.

He gets his points pretty much regardless of who he plays with. It's why it made so much sense to put him on the third line.

I think it's fair to say that coming to Pittsburgh and playing with Geno helped sustain his production at an age where most players see a decline. Kessel hasn't been effective on the 3rd line since HBK's heyday.

The Yotes' leading scorer last season had 47 points. A decent drop for Kessel is pretty much inevitable.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

He sure did. He had two of the most productive seasons of his career in his 30’s as his all around game was trailing off heavily.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

He’s older.

He’s playing behind way less talent.

He’ll be playing in a much more physical and systematic conference.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
MAYBE more physical, but I think he's gonna feast on some of these Western goalies...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad